HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

FAYETTEVILLE GA. home of Doc Holiday

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2016, 10:59:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternative Exhaust Packing Material  (Read 1510 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Alternative Exhaust Packing Material
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:01:07 pm »
This is sort of a random question, but maybe someone will know. I want to repack my EMGO exhaust upon the suggestion of a member here to try and quiet it down just a tad. The EMGO standard packing is quite thin and loose. It occurred to me that I have some fireplace mat lying around (white cotton-looking stuff, about 1" thick - I believe its called "ceramic fiber blanket" - #1 as pictured here http://www.quadrafire.com/~/media/Files/Quadrafire/Service%20Parts%20Lists/parts_5100i.ashx), and I'm wondering if I can use that stuff? It is the mat that goes above the fireplace bricks in a built-in fireplace unit. Its basically touching flames and in line with all of the exhaust gases from the fireplace, so it must have a really high temperature rating.

I'm not sure what the fireplace insert temps are compared to motorcycle exhaust temps. I did some quick internet research and it looks like the typical exhaust gas temps are about the same, 1000 def F +/- 200 degrees. I do know that my fireplace gets damn hot and so does my pipes! :) It looks like these ceramic fiber blankets are rated from 1800 deg F and up.

I know I can go buy new exhaust packing, but I have this stuff lying around with absolutely no other use for it, and why spend the buck if I don't have to? It looks fairly dense and probably would make a nice sound deadening material.

So, am I asking for trouble, or should I just try it?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:05:24 pm by Sub »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Re: Alternative Exhaust Packing Material
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:33:03 am »
The stock stuff in the Emgo is crap.  Go get fiberglass packing for motorcycle mufflers.  It's about $10-20 at any shop or online.  It's specially made to deal with the temps and pressure of a muffler.  Anything else can either catch fire or not last very long.  And you're also supposed to put a first layer of steel wool on the baffle if you can.

Scott