Author Topic: Alternative Exhaust Packing Material  (Read 3834 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
on: August 12, 2010, 05:01:07 am
This is sort of a random question, but maybe someone will know. I want to repack my EMGO exhaust upon the suggestion of a member here to try and quiet it down just a tad. The EMGO standard packing is quite thin and loose. It occurred to me that I have some fireplace mat lying around (white cotton-looking stuff, about 1" thick - I believe its called "ceramic fiber blanket" - #1 as pictured here http://www.quadrafire.com/~/media/Files/Quadrafire/Service%20Parts%20Lists/parts_5100i.ashx), and I'm wondering if I can use that stuff? It is the mat that goes above the fireplace bricks in a built-in fireplace unit. Its basically touching flames and in line with all of the exhaust gases from the fireplace, so it must have a really high temperature rating.

I'm not sure what the fireplace insert temps are compared to motorcycle exhaust temps. I did some quick internet research and it looks like the typical exhaust gas temps are about the same, 1000 def F +/- 200 degrees. I do know that my fireplace gets damn hot and so does my pipes! :) It looks like these ceramic fiber blankets are rated from 1800 deg F and up.

I know I can go buy new exhaust packing, but I have this stuff lying around with absolutely no other use for it, and why spend the buck if I don't have to? It looks fairly dense and probably would make a nice sound deadening material.

So, am I asking for trouble, or should I just try it?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 05:05:24 am by Sub »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:33:03 am
The stock stuff in the Emgo is crap.  Go get fiberglass packing for motorcycle mufflers.  It's about $10-20 at any shop or online.  It's specially made to deal with the temps and pressure of a muffler.  Anything else can either catch fire or not last very long.  And you're also supposed to put a first layer of steel wool on the baffle if you can.

Scott