Author Topic: Iwis chain update  (Read 13514 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 12:16:56 pm
In the days of the great empire of the Soviet Union there was a law that on many products the date of production had to be listed. Customers went by that by preferring products made on tuesday to thursday: monday was out because workers had shaky hands especially in the morning, friday was out because at the week´s end some racks for part storage were empty and the workers had to use substandard parts thrown away before to complete whatever they had to assemble. That was the commie way of consumer protection  ;D
As in these good old days the Indian way of producing things today sometimes unfortunately achieves similar results. I really admire the courage of the management to export this kind of machinery to old Europe and the rest of the world  ;) , and we can notice that there are no two Bullets that are identical - every bike is a little different  8)
So there is plenty of room for action and improvement to overcome little (or medium sized.... :-X) difficulties. On the other hand it´s possible to be just lucky, and we know that this is much more likely with the new EFI-Bullets than it was with the old iron horses.
So lets be audacious: I tensioned my original supersteelchain for the first time at 2300 km, so I  developed great trust in it. If it once goes belly up, I´ll guess I´ll be confident with the indian quality one more time.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:28 pm
Just a comment, even if both your sprockets are wonky, putting a substandard chain on them will only have all three parts wearing faster.  Get a decent chain.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 09:02:22 pm
In the days of the great empire of the Soviet Union there was a law that on many products the date of production had to be listed. Customers went by that by preferring products made on tuesday to thursday: monday was out because workers had shaky hands especially in the morning, friday was out because at the week´s end some racks for part storage were empty and the workers had to use substandard parts thrown away before to complete whatever they had to assemble. That was the commie way of consumer protection  ;D

As in these good old days the Indian way of producing things today sometimes unfortunately achieves similar results. I really admire the courage of the management to export this kind of machinery to old Europe and the rest of the world  ;) , and we can notice that there are no two Bullets that are identical - every bike is a little different  8)

On the other hand it´s possible to be just lucky, and we know that this is much more likely with the new EFI-Bullets than it was with the old iron horse.

Maturin:

Wie geht Sie ?   

Really enjoyed your posts.  Yes, no two Bullets are alike -  My G5 has over 9000 miles (14,400 kilometers) and the chain is in good shape  ;D.

Mind you, I clean the chain, lube it well and keep proper tension and do not over tax the bike.  It seems that REs like a little care and attention and they respond well. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 09:21:18 pm
Singh - I bought the chain with 101 links, ready to fit. It was a simple job - I attached it to the old chain without the circlip and just pulled it through. Job done and ready to ride in about forty minutes.
The Chain Man knew exactly what I needed and after our phone conversation I had the chain next day and sent the cheque by return. If you can find someone like him over there you'll have struck gold.
I am resolved to improve my chain care. That said, I'm sure I had a dodgy chain to start with.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:57 pm
Singh - I bought the chain with 101 links, ready to fit. It was a simple job - I attached it to the old chain without the circlip and just pulled it through. Job done and ready to ride in about forty minutes.
The Chain Man knew exactly what I needed and after our phone conversation I had the chain next day and sent the cheque by return. If you can find someone like him over there you'll have struck gold.
I am resolved to improve my chain care. That said, I'm sure I had a dodgy chain to start with.

I looked around but we do not get 101 pin chain here - but get slightly longer chain and then we have to remove a few links.  I will get a D.I.D. (Japanese) chain after a few more miles.  Circlip type is definitely easier. 

It is good to know a motorcycle mechanic who knows what is good and what exactly you need for your bike - as you did.  Your new chain will last 10K miles or more !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 10:33:03 pm
A chain breaker that will push a pin out and shorten a chain is fairly inexpensive, amybe $20 US.  A chain press that will rivet a rivet type master link is much more expensive, $50-100 US.  The rivet type master links are more secure.  You can secure a clip type easily by cleaning the master side plate and clip and putting a dab of RTV silicon on there to make sure it stays.  Many posts on the internet about that.

Will has the right idea: break it, attach the new one to the old, and pull it through.

Scott

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 10:37:29 pm
Thank you for sourcing the Iwis chain, Will - a brand I had never heard of before following this thread but clearly top quality. I am resolved to follow your lead and change my chain in a couple of weeks when I am on leave. Whilst I still have plenty more adjustment left than you had I have a similar situation with uneven wear which is becoming unsustainable. The tight spot is an inch tighter than the rest of the chain. I have always kept the chain lubed and correctly adjusted, proof being zero transmission snatch and excellent fuel consumption, so 5,000 miles is not impressive.

On the other hand it is no great surprise now that I have learnt via this thread that the manufacturer is Rolon. My first experience of this brand was 25 years ago when I bought one for my Morini. It lasted 500 miles. I suppose Rolon are to be congratulated on a tenfold improvement in quality in a couple of decades.  :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 11:35:12 pm
Not sure if this has been noted yet, is the o-ring chain from the C5 also from Rolon?

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 12:01:51 am
My C5 came stock with a Diamond chain, same as I used to run on HD's and British stuff. I always liked them, they are good quality and not cheap. I'll stick with them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:16:14 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 02:25:03 am
If you buy a chain that is to long I suggest not using a chain breaker. Grind the pins off until lower then with the side plate then knock off the side plate and push the link through. It dose less damage to the chain when it is new and tight.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 04:08:07 am
If you buy a chain that is to long I suggest not using a chain breaker. Grind the pins off until lower then with the side plate then knock off the side plate and push the link through. It dose less damage to the chain when it is new and tight.

I always grind the pin and then use the breaker, maybe I should have mentioned that.  You're right, breaking a staked pin puts a lot of stress on the tool and the chain. 

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 06:09:13 pm
Yikes!  I was just looking at the price of x-ring 530 chains.  Those things are expensive!  I guess when I had my Ducati there really aren't many other choices people consider so it seems normal.  I still say it's worth buying a good quality name brand chain but I don't think I can fault anyone for buying a regular non x/o-ring chain at these prices.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 07:16:44 pm
Alot of Iron Barrel Bullet owners like the RK heavy duty standard 530 chains without O-rings or X rings. They do well, and are not terribly expensive.
RK is a very good quality Japanese chain company.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:19:32 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 04:30:18 am
Good thread and sharing, the only thing missing is to comment to be sure that when you put the lock on the Master Link that it be facing in the right direction.

If the Master Link is at the top side of the chain run where it is heading into the motor then the opening is towards the rear tire.  In other words the closed end is always pointed towards the forward rotation.  Never put the opening side forward.

-Q
Any other Enfields in New England?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 01:43:24 am

The Chain Man knew exactly what I needed..

Will:

Here in US, we can get chains of EVEN number links ONLY, such as 110, 120, 102 etc.  The reason is that the links are made in pairs - Top plate_Bottom plate, then Top plate_Bottom plate and it keeps repeating like that including the Master Link, which has top plate.  

To make a chain of ODD number of links, needs a HALF-link whose plate is not flat.  One end of plate is bent to act as Bottom and other end acts as Top.  It will be clear in the picture below.  In my G5, this HALF-Link is then attached to Master link that has a circlip on it.  The motorcycle dealers say that they have not seen HALF-Link in chains for over 20 years in US  !!  Cannot get it.

WILL - Here is my question since you got a new chain from Iwis -  Does your chain have HALF-link somewhere in chain ?  Or do you have EVEN number of links ? (I know you have written 101, but can you count it again ?)  By the way when the chain is put together in a circle, the number of pins is the same as the number of links.

Here is a picture of my chain with HALF-link attached to Master Link.  BTW- just noticed that the circlip is backward - it has been running like this all this time  ;D

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:32:18 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk