Author Topic: Shock preload adjustment tool, cheap!  (Read 10243 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: August 11, 2010, 09:20:39 pm
The preload adjusters for the rear shocks on the Enfield are pretty tame, I think you could probably turn them by hand if you were pressed to do so.  You can certainly do it with pliers but these tend to strip things and chip paint over time. 

I like to have the right tool for the right job.  I was looking around and couldn't find much available in the States that fit a 48mm, certainly not at a low price.  Most of the shock spanners available today are for the larger rear mono-shocks.  I found a few smaller ones but mostly from obsure English companies or costly adjustable models.  I didn't want to have to send across the pond for an inexpensive tool.

I found a solution.  Remembering back to when I was a bicycle mechainc I thought about all the bottom brakcet and headset spanners we had.  Surely one might fit the rear shocks.  It did.
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=HCW-5
The Park Tools HCW-5 crank and bottom bracket wrench's single pin end fits the rear shocks perfectly and only costs about $15 US.  Not sure if the other end works yet, I haven't tried it.  Regardless, I'll probably cut one end off to make it smaller and easier to carry on trips.

Hope this helps.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:02 pm
There's a thing in the supplied toolkit for adjusting the rear shocks - didn't you get one?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:31:45 pm
Nope :(  I got wrenches, screwdriver, tire irons, and spark plug wrench with tommy bar.  The wrenches are forged, I thought that was quite nice.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:44:21 pm
I got those, plus three allen keys, spare cables and an inner tube. The manuall doesn't list the shock adjuster tool, but it's there.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 09:50:55 pm
Got the allen keys too, and a tube.  Have to harass my dealer about the cables. 

Oh well, if nothing else it's good info for people who buy second hand and don't get a full tool set.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:44 pm
I just checked the box the dealer gave me and it's got four cables, although the manual lists only two - speedo and clutch. One of these is the clutch cable, there's no speedo cable, and without going to have a look at the bike, I don't know what the others are.  ???

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:02:05 pm
Clutch and throttle are good to have on a long trip.  Hence I'll be asking about them soon ;) The throttle on my bike has two cables, one under and one over.  Speedo, nice to have if it breaks but not really necessary.  I don't think anyone eve got stranded over a broken speedo cable.  The other one might be a drum front brake cable.  Maybe they just have one standard spare cable kit.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:13:48 pm
Ah - I'd forgotten it was a two cable arrangement for the throttle. That explains the two which are bundled together. The fourth is a thin one, still mysterious.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:34:01 pm
How funny, I was just going to post asking about an adjustment tool.

So you guys got them in your tool kits? Its not in mine! Does it look like the Park Tools version? Is it confirmed this should have come in the tool kit?

I've been using a flathead screw driver braced against the rear shock to do the trick.. not the best way obviously.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:52:32 pm
It's a "C" shaped thingy.  As I said - the manual doesn't include it in the list of supplied tools, but I got one with mine. Mine's a UK G5 DL.
Also, the manual says to use the 8mm tommy bar to adjust the rear shocks. This doesn't make sense. Mind you, the manual also says to oil the chain every 3000 km!!
Can't really trust the manual.... ???

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 11:11:05 pm
Also, the manual says to use the 8mm tommy bar to adjust the rear shocks.

Yeah, that one puzzled me too.  I like all the names in the manual.  "Right hand trafficator" sounds so much cooler than "turn signal". :D

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:33:46 am
I read that part in the manual too, weird.

So is it only UK bikes that came with the adjustment "C" tool?

I have a 2010 bike.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 05:07:20 am by Sub »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 01:44:01 am
No shock spanner came in my tool kit either. I've been using a drag specialty's one.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 02:13:53 am
No shock spanner came in mine.  I had one from an old Yamaha toolkit.  I did not get any extra cable either.  Allen Wrenchs, Screw Drivers, one tire bar,  Perhaps the 2010 C5 has a reduced tool kit, It seems mine and Scotts are the same.

What is a "Tommy Bar"?
Any other Enfields in New England?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 06:29:24 am
5" piece of steel rod as far as I can tell.  I would guess we're not getting the spanner on purpose, but the rest of the differences in the kits are probably just quality control issues.

Scott