Author Topic: Oil Change  (Read 6983 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 01:42:12 am
Not all of us have any control over our tits, Bub.

Anyhoo- if you want to go at AMF, how about when Enfield wasn't Royal?

AMF really (Really!) did a lot of good for Harley - other than just cash. They'd have never figured out modern production methods and costs savings without them. It was a good business deal all the way around - and NOW AMF bikes are on the "most wanted" list by serious collectors because there are so few of them that weren't butchered!

I'm still a little in the dark about the "not so Royal" Enfields ..... I think it was "all in a name" as the India boys didn't have the rights to the "Royal" part .... or something like that - until the Eicher group scooped THEM up and got them modernised and back on the right path. This would be good "Kevin fodder" as he intimately knows the "ins and outs" of modern (post Brit) Enfield etymology ...... he also knows most of the people that made it happen!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:53:08 am
My last Shovelhead had American Machine and Foundry in big gold letters on the tank,  ;D I got no problem with AMF.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 05:43:27 am
AMF built a lot of different stuff.  everything from Bowling Balls  to bicycles to snow mobiles, and Industrial parts. They knew how to modernize. And at a time when profits from industrial sales were high, they had deep pockets.  Their quality really was not any worse than than the quality of any other motor vehicle built in the states during that era.  They modernized the production line. made parts for less money. and popularized the accessory and dealer add on line like saddle bags. trunks etc.   Yes it is true, if not for the influx of cash and modernization the company would have gone the way of the Studebaker.  They taught Harley how to think ahead and make stuff that people actually wanted,

Any other Enfields in New England?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 01:19:53 pm
Qgolden - You are SO right here - when you apply the principles of building say, water faucets - to that of building motorcycles - good things happen on the production line! Siddarth Lal did JUST this very thing for RE in 1999 ..... He and the Richer Group modernised the production facility and started doing things like cost analysing, etc - and NOW we have the BEST bikes that RE has ever built! RE is also looking to the future with FACTORY accessories and exciting new models. Building the Iron Barrel for 60 years took some doing .... but so did making the joint thoroughly modern! Now RE is in it for the LONG run - just like H-D.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 01:44:42 pm
H-D has had a long and interesting history - and they are the KINGS of marketing their wares. I use them as a role model ..... really!

You're so right and it's not just you using them as a role model. Triumph have completely copied the basic base model/thousand accessories marketing model and BMW are fast learning too. Look at the price difference between the base GS and the all gizmo model. Even Honda are getting the idea. The VFR1200 is a sports tourer with a centre stand as an optional extra.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 03:05:01 pm
Yup - Sell HALF the bike ..... and ALL the accessories! Hahaha! Make ALL the money .... and that's not a bad thing in the current economy. I'm just really happy that REM is doing SO well in India these days .... They have been moving UP when a lot of other companies have been moving down. I wonder if they need someone to sweep the floors over there? I hear tell it's riding weather ALL year 'round in Chennai ....  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 03:32:21 pm
A floor sweeper would need an assistant, and it just so happens that I'm avaliable!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

REAZ

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 01:07:35 am
A floor sweeper would need an assistant, and it just so happens that I'm avaliable!
Now that there is an assistant to the sweeper, plus the sweeper himself, someone has to take care of you guys. But don't let yourself worry about it. Here comes your union. Welcome to SURE (Sweeper Union of Royal Enfield). Everything will be taken care of, just make SURE that I'd be the president.
It is good to ride
REAZ

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 01:50:16 am
Now that there is an assistant to the sweeper, plus the sweeper himself, someone has to take care of you guys. But don't let yourself worry about it. Here comes your union. Welcome to SURE (Sweeper Union of Royal Enfield). Everything will be taken care of, just make SURE that I'd be the president.

Heeheehee! YOU are HIRED .....  ;) (None to worry, r80rt - if we take HIM to India - he'll get an instant promotion - and WE can go back to just picking bits off the floor .....  ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 02:39:40 am
I'm in!
Iron Butt Association

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:38 pm
Yup - Sell HALF the bike ..... and ALL the accessories! Hahaha! Make ALL the money ....

I know a Gal who works for Harley in Europe.  Her job is to go to ALL the Rallies and Major Events and put together HOG (Harley Owners Group) activities and rides.  She does two events here in the States each year as well.  Often Sturgis and either Laconia or Daytona.  Any Case she was telling me that in the Harley empire, Motorcycle sales are the smallest segment of income.  Parts is third, followed by Accessories followed by their largest profit maker, Clothing.    According to her, the license to sell clothing and Accessories is worth far more to a dealer than the license to sell bikes.
Any other Enfields in New England?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 05:58:36 pm
Yup.  Say what you want about the bikes but that company has its marketing strategy down!  Profit margin is way higher on clothes and lots more people own HD clothes than actual bikes.

Scott