Author Topic: Oil Change  (Read 6976 times)

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
on: August 10, 2010, 12:37:46 am
No, not the same old "how do I..."
My new C5 passed 200 miles this weekend and I got all of the bits to do the first oil change from our host a week ago.  It went off without a hitch.  Plenty of O-rings to fiddle with, but a little dab of grease holds them in until the bolts are tight.  This post is really just another data point for those interested.  There was a little bit of hair on the magnet of the drain plug and a little bit more on the magnet of the screen.  The screen was kind of natty with gunk but no large chunks in the oil and no big bits on the screen. 

I really like this bike.  I still haven't ventured off of the secondary roads as I don't want to push it too hard just yet, but it is comfortable, easy on gas and looks really cool.  I had an entire group of Harleys pass me today, then slow down in front of me so I could pass them again... got a full round of thumbs up.  They passed me again and rolled away at 70 or so and I just kept thumping down the road. 

Anybody in northern Wisconsin?

Tim

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 04:15:33 am
  Hey Tim cool all went well.  I'm in mid Wisconsin (Wisconsin Rapids) if you ever get down this way.  Welcome to another Badger brother.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:49:03 pm
Tim - It sounds like all is well! Expect that little mill to toss a few "fines" until the boogers get worn off all the edges. This is pretty normal - AND why there are TWO magnets in the bottom of the sump! This stuff is collected in the UCE because it doesn't need "valve grinding paste" in the oil like an Iron Barrel to seat everything in! Hahaha! As I've said a million times - don't be afraid to RUN the engine - just don't LOAD it until it gets a few more miles on it. That little mill oils like CRAZY, so it lubes the little raw bits best in the world AND stays pretty cool at some speed. It's awesome that you got the "nod" from the SECOND oldest continually produced bike crowd .... Heeheehee! They're probably jealous that you look cooler, get better economy and don't have that other pesky cylinder to fiddle with all the time .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:13:01 pm
Who cares what the second oldest crowd thinks anyway? ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:52:57 am
Welcome Tim.
I'm between Rhinelander and Eagle River....Sugar Camp.

Jerry

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:57:12 am

Newcomers ......  ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:18:33 am
 :D :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:55:44 pm

Jerry,
I'm in Arbor Vitae.
Stopped to talk to a guy on a white iron barrel bullet at the intersection in woodruff a few days ago.   Was that you?  Can't be too many more, can there?
T

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:03:18 pm
I ride an 08 AVL Military.  I've never seen another Enfield in the area...However I work weekends and am not out when the majority of folks are joyriding.

Jerry

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 09:22:09 pm

Does that make them the oldest American manufacturer?  Crap, we'll never hear the end of that....

Scott ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:59:31 pm
Does that make them the oldest American manufacturer?  Crap, we'll never hear the end of that....

Scott ;)

Yeah - I think they'd qualify for "longest continuously produced bike in America" ... just not in the WORLD .... that's all .... Heeheehee!  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:38:05 pm
well, there were a few years when they were AMFharleydavidson, they always  try to pretend that didn't happen ::)
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 01:18:40 am
well, there were a few years when they were AMFharleydavidson, they always  try to pretend that didn't happen ::)

AMF taught the Harley boys that you could build a bike on an ASSEMBLY LINE - and to whatever standard the Corporate office wanted ..... Don't forget about the Italian-made ones, either! H-D has had a long and interesting history - and they are the KINGS of marketing their wares. I use them as a role model ..... really! It is also amazing just HOW many times they have re-invented themselves over the course of the years. Of course - I DON'T like the "costume party, show us your (obscenely floppy!) tits" crowd ..... but you gotta admit - if you have no shame, those type of  people will pay your bills! Hahaha!  ::)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 01:26:00 am
Not all of us have any control over our tits, Bub.

Anyhoo- if you want to go at AMF, how about when Enfield wasn't Royal?
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 01:35:32 am
If it wasn't for AMF's cash input, Harley would be gone, like, like, uh, UK's Enfield.

I like my AMF ;D
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville