Author Topic: I know I'm slow, but...  (Read 3584 times)

Matthew Harris

• Scooter
on: August 09, 2010, 05:34:10 am
Okay, I ride an Enfield, so I expect to get passed regularly.  Had to make the trip to town today, about 20 miles each way, for some odds and ends.  So rather than drive the 17mpg truck, I grabbed my official Royal Enfield tank bag AND my Royal Enfield, and rode to town.  Nice weather, piddlin along at about the speed limit and got passed twice in NO PASSING zones before I got to town. 

Sad they are, those poor impatient folks stuck in SUVs.  At least I was having fun.
2000 Bullet 500 Classic- Green
REA 42

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:29:57 am
Pitiful ain't they.I,too,rode to "town" today.Same deal,continually passed by folks who even looked bored to death.This is why they go so fast,trying to end the agony as soon as they can.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:28:51 am
And they like to squeeze past like you are a slow bicycle close into the kerb even though you are nearer to the crown of the road.

And they do all this while chatting on a mobile phone hand set.

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:52:52 am
The first time I was in Atlanta -in town, not on the freeway- in my CAR, btw-  I could hear people cursing and yelling at me because I was going the speed limit.  I think big cities make people frantic.  Like how is stopping at a red light 10 feet closer to the intersextion going to help you get anywhere faster?

That said, I've passed people in no-passing areas as long as I have a decent line of sight.
Especially scooters doing 20mph up a hill.   
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:28:25 pm
  I think part of it is the mental thought "hey I'm passing a motorcycle, yahoo".  But failing to realize they have about 4.5 liters of reserve power on an Enfield.  I actually had a guy do that about 3 times on a ride wifey and I made.  He would actually pass, slow down get passed and do it all again. 

i couldn't resist the fun so pulled off behind him and congratulated him for passing a couple riding sub 600cc singles that are meant to run at 50 mph all day long..or at 65 mph for short distances.  That made his day, didn't see him again.

There is a lady who rides her scooter on the 65 mph four lane around here who gets passed by everyone.  Bad thing is she rides right at the edge of the breakdown lane.  I guess a cop must have stopped her for going less than 45 mph since I haven't seen her recently..or?  She was pretty much unseen by traffic.

I just think it's pretty much bravado..passed a bike today mentality.  That maybe coupled with the want for a bike but the significant other wouldn't approve.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:30 pm
Yes! Of course they are jealous of us.We probly look like we are having fun while they suffer.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 01:33:37 pm
There are people who will pass anybody, passing zone or not, no matter how fast you are going.
I often get passed in no passing zones when I'm driving my truck at 70mph in a 55mph zone around my area.
Some people just can't stand to have a vehicle in front of them, especially if they are late for work.

I try to ignore them.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:44:10 pm
I always thought if they are in that big of a hurry, they should have left yesterday
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:13 pm
It seems, from the posts here, from all over the country, that my hypothesis that Texas has the worst drivers needs revising.  ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:47:56 pm
They are ever where! In my years of motorcycle travels I've been able to identify the worst offenders. 90 year old guys in pork pie hats driving  dusty '70's Oldsmobile's. If you see one be afraid, be very afraid.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:06:21 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 06:31:13 pm
They are ever where! In my years of motorcycle travels I've been able to identify the worst offenders. 90 year old guys in pork pie hats driving  dusty '70's Oldsmobile's. If you see one be afraid, be very afraid.

thats funny we have old guys in funny hats but ours go slow. ;D

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:22:42 pm
You're thinking of those old buggers with flat caps aren't you? 25mph and the missus next to em in an advisory role - "better touch the brakes again dear, can't be too careful."   ::)
But those other tossers in the baseball caps - look out  :o
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 07:29:10 pm
Why on earth would you drive with a hat on???   ???
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Matthew Harris

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 09:54:23 pm
And they like to squeeze past like you are a slow bicycle close into the kerb even though you are nearer to the crown of the road.
Yes!  at least give some breathing room! 

Looks like I will get to ride the bike to work tonight.  Work, yuck.  Ride the Bullet, YEA!!
2000 Bullet 500 Classic- Green
REA 42

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 09:02:42 am
Why on earth would you drive with a hat on???   ???

The old man driver hat is one of nature's danger signals, like a tiger's stripes or those brightly coloured poisonous berries and tree frogs.

;D
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe