Author Topic: polished to death  (Read 2699 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: January 02, 2008, 08:26:13 pm
It seems as though the timing housing was polished to the point where there is not enough metal left to effect a good seal. In fact it acts as a gasket cutter. I'm going to try  just shellac and see how it goes. I find it ironic that a nation known for it's tolerance can't seem to hold one!

[old attachment deleted by admin]
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:29:54 pm
A thin layer of Permatex Ultra Black should do just fine-
easier to clean up next time.
                          good stuff...

- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 04:11:29 am
Exactly what I ended up doing. The oil was traveling down the bottom bolt and out that thin area . That leak had allways been there, but had became real bad overnight. I  had to get in there anyway because my point cam was stroking  the points .070" . Turns out there was a big runout on the advance units taper, and luckily there was enough meat to re machine it true. I believe  it's these details in quality that separate the India enfields from the British built units.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.