Author Topic: Darn! Shifting problem....  (Read 3854 times)

csbdr

• Bulleteer
on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:05 pm
Hey all!  Bikes been great but today I think I started to develop a transmission problem.  When letting out the clutch to engage 1st, the bike gives anywhere  between 1-4 "thunk" noises with a lurch, depending on  how quick I let the clutch out. I can get it to not do it at all if I am really easy with it. After that, it's fine.  I can row throught the gears without any trouble.

Incidently, this just started happening today, the day after an oil change.  I didn't change oil brands.  I've been using Cen-Pe-Co 20W50, which was recommending by my dealer.  I've been using it since purchase over a year ago with no troubles.  Not sure if it's related.

Does it sound like the clutch is slipping somehow?  Or something else?  Anything I can "adjust"?  Thanks!

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:10:52 pm
To me it sounds more like gears aren't totally in the right place by the time you want to move and when ytou let the clutch out they are dragging together until the fully engage.  I'm no expert, I have never taken ne of these things apart, nor do I even know what they look like inside.  $0.02  I hear a sound that I would describe similar to yours sometime if I shift slowly into gear at a light, a thunkity thunk thunk until I fully depress the shifter.  It has to be a very slow shift though.

Good luck,

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:34:02 pm
That's exactly the situation...pulling out from a light....except mine is better if I go slower.  Faster, more aggressive takeoff really makes it happen. And it wasn't at all before yesterday.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:36:20 pm
Actually, now that I thnk about it, I know that situation and it isn't what mine is doing.  Mine is also getting worse.  I rode it in this morning to work to get a better idea what it is doing, and it not only is doing it going into 1st, but also into 2nd.  I also had the transmission slip/skip when I was in 5th and put a load on the engine to go up a hill.  Not as bad as when taking off from a standing start, but definately slipped 4-5 times.

Also discovered that if I am slowly rolling, like up to a light/turn, and I put it into 1st again, it won't do this.

Well, I'm reluctantly going to take it in to my dealer today.  He's a mile or 2 from my work and my wife can pick me up.  I was hoping to manage this until my Ural (the other POC in my garage) was out of the shop, but it doesn't look like I will make it. I don't want to make whatever is happening any worse. May as well exercise the warrentee.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:41:00 pm
A clutch typically will be more likely to slip in a higher gear than a lower one. Try putting it in 3rd or 4th and roll on into the power band full throttle and listen for an increase in revs, but not acceleration. Its possible I guess that you just need a new clutch and the oil change illuminated that.

BTW, I wonder if thats what I was hearing when I was behind you (pre oil change). I heard the revs going up and down (almost sounding like an engine hesitation), and its possible now that perhaps your clutch was slipping and grabbing as you accelerated. If it was smoothly doing it, this could also explain why I could hear it but you couldn't feel it per se.

Just an idea.. something to check.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:57:15 pm
See, I never should have emptied that nice, gritty used oil out of there!  Wouldn't have this problem.  I wonder if the blueprinted clutch parts would fit this bike....

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:33 pm
Hey all!  Bikes been great but today I think I started to develop a transmission problem.  When letting out the clutch to engage 1st, the bike gives anywhere  between 1-4 "thunk" noises with a lurch, depending on  how quick I let the clutch out. I can get it to not do it at all if I am really easy with it. After that, it's fine.  I can row throught the gears without any trouble.

Incidently, this just started happening today, the day after an oil change.  I didn't change oil brands.  I've been using Cen-Pe-Co 20W50, which was recommending by my dealer.  I've been using it since purchase over a year ago with no troubles.  Not sure if it's related.

Does it sound like the clutch is slipping somehow?  Or something else?  Anything I can "adjust"?  Thanks!

It seems that your clutch plates are sticking a bit or/and need adjustment.

The first thing to do is to clean your clutch cable thoroughly with WD40, and then lube it well.  Then go for a short ride to warm up the engine and oil.  Adjust the clutch cable so that the free play is 2 to 3 mm.  Even a small adjustment of 1/2 to 1 turn can affect how well it performs.  It is not uncommon that after an oil change the clutch requires some adjustment.

Do you have a G5 with kick start or a C5 that has no kick start ?  If you have a G5, after turning on the ignition key, do not start straight away - instead pull the clutch lever in and give a soft kick to release sticking clutch plates.  Release clutch lever and then one or two soft kicks for oil to circulate in the engine.  THEN start as you wish - by REAL kick or electric button.  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:11:31 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36:02 pm
Thanks guys!  it turned out to be something really embarrassing....loose drive chain. It was asjusted around 2000 mi ago so I didn't really think of it.  Was trying to jump the main sprocket and just "seemed" to be making noise throught the left side.  Slack taken out and all is well.  No damage. Poor combination.....rider who's a noob to chains (always had belt or shaft) and a bike which probably needs attention more often than I would expect. I'm trainable though.....

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 02:12:46 pm
DOH.....!    ::)

Half an hour in the silly corner for you my boy...  :D

.....but isn't that a nice feeling when you realise it's nothing serious..... :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:17:29 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:59:05 pm
Thanks guys!  it turned out to be something really embarrassing....loose drive chain.    No damage......rider who's a noob to chains (always had belt or shaft) and a bike which probably needs attention more often than I would expect. I'm trainable though......
Good to hear that it was nothing serious !  I am keeping my eye on the chain more frequently than ever before.  It may need a good clean up and lube.  By the way I found a very good chain lube called "HP Chain Lube with Moly" sold by Honda.  It has PTFE and Moly and works really well.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 06:59:21 pm
...and you haven't broken anything!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:37 pm
I think I've been habitually adjusting my chain too slack. I couldn't figure out for ages what that clunk was when I went over a bump - I thought it must be the side stand slapping against its stop, but when I tried to repeat it on the centre stand the sound just didn't match. Then I wondered if it was something loose inside. But then as I was tinkering about with the chain one day, I discovered the clunk was the top run of the chain slapping down on the swing arm!  I keep things a bit tighter now   ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)