Author Topic: New member here with a v-old Bullet 350  (Read 14972 times)

iceneweb

• Scooter
on: January 02, 2008, 03:07:02 am
Hi everyone,

New member here, based in Vancouver, BC Canada (South Surrey, actually).

Recently i purchased a (supposedly) 1945 Enfield Bullet 350. The bike is my 'tinkering' bike, as my other bike (2000 Yamaha R1) while brilliant in most aspects doesn't lend itself to bodging, fixing and customising. I was also on the lookout for a bike that i could take my little boy or girl on, down some country lanes and maybe out for an icecream . . . . .

Here are the numbers for the bike, from  a photocopy of the original Indian log-book:
VIN G253608
ENG # A+2445

The bike is in very rough shape, and i am resisting spending a lot of of money on it, but it does need to be road-worthy and not a flammable timebomb for the parking space (next to a house).

Here's a couple of photos (look for the scroll bars):

So far i have identified lots of stuff to replace:

- decompressor: leaky so i temporarily plugged the hole wth a B8ES spark plug
- clutch: parts on the way
- leaky gas tank: part on the way, courtesy of a board member
- worn out carb: part on the way, courtesy of a board member
- stock seat already replaced with a Lycett seat from a friend
- stock HD (!) Sporty muffler to replace the rusted out existing one

I am planning on turning the bike into a bare-bones, v-low budget cafe-racer, though i really like the pannier . . . .

It's really not worth restoring to original: too much money! Anyway, i will be keeping all the stock parts.

Riding impressions so far are: doesn't like starting, slow, doesn't like stopping, goes around corners ok, comfy, v-cool

Other bikes i have owned include: 1976 Honda CB550 (cafe racer), 1977 Yamaha RD 400, 1995 Ducati 900SS, 2005 Suzuki SV650, 1976 Yamaha RD400.

I love bikes!

Cheers,
Mark

bill440cars

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 03:15:27 am

Hey Welcome Mark,  Looks like a pretty decent starting bike you've picked up. I joined up last year (Dec 26, 2007 ::)) and I'm pretty new here myself. You'll have to get most of your info from other folks here cause I'm still learning about that sort of stuff. I didn't get any Enfield familiarization until I saw my 1st, which was the 1955 models with the Indian name on them. So, I don't know when the swingarm come out on them but I can tell that those fenders are pretty old though. Good to have you here, enjoy yourself and jump in when you feel the urge. ;)

Later on, Bill :) ;)

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:40:30 am
 The "1945" models were War Department models and had hard tail frames & girder front forks so it's not quite that old. The Indian made bullet is a near replica of the 1955 Redditch UK manufactured machines. It has been manufactured there in Madras/Chennai nearly unchanged until the last 5 or 6 years. The last of the 1955 Redditch UK machines would have had the G prefix followed by a 4 digit number on the engine. The frame would most likely have had a plain 4-digit number.

I would say you have one of the earlier Indian made machines. At least the number seems to indicate that. My guess would be 1970s. Its a perfect model for the plans that you have for it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:30:39 am by rotorwrench »

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:29:24 am
That is a truly beautiful looking bike, just needs a bit of tidying up. You are lucky to have it.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Chetan Malvankar

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:51:05 am
You Say .... "It's really not worth restoring to original"
I know for sure it's not a 40's bike and am glad it isn't !
Else nothing but restoration for something 1940's. If i can't fford it, i better pass it on to someone who would.
Save the bikes 
Chetan Malvankar
RE Bullet 350
Enfield Diesel 325

deejay

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 02:47:41 pm
That bike looks awesome to me man, you are lucky to have it!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:18:50 pm
iinteresting ! how about some more complete photos?

bobbezin
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

LJRead

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 01:30:02 am
A friend of mine who restored old cars used to say that you could restore anything, given the time, money and ability- and I believe him.

1) If you aren't in a hurry, just get it running well and made improvements as you go along.  Make it a sort of project without time goals so you don't frustrate yourself.
2) Spreading improvements over time, means the cost is also spread over time.

Looks like a nice old bike.  I think you might have fun restoring it.

Good luck,

Larry

indianmarshal

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:02:07 am
Hai, I am currently restoring my 1972 Royal Enfield Bullet. It costs comparatively lower in India than in Western countries. Parts are also readily available here. If you need any help feel free to contact me on manishada@hotmail.com. Also vintage bikes are readily available here at good prizes here. If you have any interest, get in touch with me. Best wishes..

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 08:44:11 pm
A bike like that that has that 'well lived with & used' look would be perfect for a Military style one as the paintwork doen't need to be perfect. They were utilitarian workhorses so I can see this being great in olive drab!!!  :)

Whatever you do with it.............. have fun!!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 08:52:07 pm by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin