Author Topic: Partial Engine Lockup! HELP!  (Read 5941 times)

VeniceBeachBullet

• Scooter
  • G5 with mods.
on: August 01, 2010, 08:38:00 pm
Dear All,

My 09 G5 has been running really well, however the starter motor has been buzzing and not engaging for a while.  I'm not sure if this could be related, but I'm just telling the whole story in case it is....
Anyway, while shifting down to a stop (clutch in, 3rd to 2nd) a heard a clunk from the left hand side of the engine and the whole bike shuts off.  I drifted over to the side, popped her into neutral and tried the starter motor - nothing, not even a buzz.  "Crap".  Kick stand out, and low and behold but the sensation through the kick lever is as though I was trying to push the engine over in gear.  There is now no firm point at the top dead center, and the lever just moves - only with some force.
This feels as thought he starter motor has - for some reason - engaged.
I can select neutral and roll the bike, but when I try the electric starter it does nothing as though the bike is in gear as well.

Anyone got any ideas?

Its a beautiful day, and not one to be inside.....

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:12:44 am
No clue, but dealer should be consulted.

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:17:40 am
Did you accidentally hit the kill swithch?
Does you clutch lever feel right?  2mm of free play in the lever? 
Run what ya brung

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:59:51 am

Dear All,
This feels as thought he starter motor has - for some reason - engaged.
I can select neutral and roll the bike, but when I try the electric starter it does nothing as though the bike is in gear as well.

1.   Is your Neutral light on - green ?

2.  Is your side-stand switch problematic ?  If so, disconnect it and try to start again.

3.  Did you pull the clutch IN and then press the Starter button to start ?

4.  Does the MIL light glow ?  

5.  Check all fuses ?

6.  Check resistance across starter Relay ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:05:34 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:10:06 am
Welcome to the world of Sprag clutch death. The sprag bearing is gone on your C5 and I am 100% sure about it. There are two bearings inside the sprag clutch, one is a needle bearing which never dies and the main one(sprag) which mostly disintegrates itself.

Get a new one under warranty, 15min job to replace it. The upgraded ones coming now have a tougher bearing and its from SKF so it will last a bit longer. Its mostly the spring ring in the sprag bearing which fails, resulting in disintegration of the squared rollers.

Please try to get a new sprag clutch from a newer batch with upgraded sprag.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:12:31 am by SSR »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:18:10 am
There is none in CA to do warranty repair.Kevin Mahoney at CMW a message through the forum.  He will help you.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 06:12:33 pm
To preface this, I dont know a lot about the Enfield clutch. But I do remember reading that someone said a customer let his engine oil run low and that caused the sprag clutch failure. How is your oil level?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:38:55 pm
This is news.  I thought with the UCE, sprag problems were a thing of the past.  ?
Is this just a pre-'10 thing?
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 11:52:58 pm
Place the aff-FLICK-ted part of your motorcycle against the television screen and send a $75 donation to us and we will pray, Pray, PRAY for the healing of your motorcycle ...... But seriously - Take it to a Qualified Royal Enfield Dealer for repair. SSR - This is only the second sprag-alike failure that I have ever heard of in the USA ...... I don't the new ones are quite as bothersome as the old design ..... by far. VBB - Keep us posted on this ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 07:58:01 am
@UncleErnie- I cant be sure if its the case with pre-10 sprags. RE has not implemented any new design of sprag but only upgraded with better quality sprag bearing.

@ScooterBob- I am quite surprised to hear of only 2 sprag bearing failure in USA.

I am on my third Sprag and this time it has not given me a single sign of failure so far. I have seen few sprags going down the drain on new C5,C3 down here. Seems like you get what you pay for in our(domestic) case. You guys seem to get better parts then us;)

I am about to go in for 2nd re-built, crank pin roller bearing is playing up again. Wrote an email to HItchcock, CMW,Partsman requesting help on sourcing a roller bearing but only HItchcock replied saying its news to them as they have not encountered any problem with the crank pin bearing so far and they will look into it.

Still looking for a better quality needle roller bearing for crank pin.  Can anyone  help me  sourcing a new one?

sprivatester

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 06:11:04 am
Hey,

seems an interesting news....when did they start shipping this upgraded version of sprag bearing and does it fit into all previous models? or is it of different size?
 i mean one needs to change complete set around it ?

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 05:55:13 pm
 Unfortunately we cant get only the bearing, we get the whole set and yes it will fit any UCE engine. When the sprag gets damaged then there is high probability that the facing of the sprag housing gets damged as well hence we need to change the whole unit.

sprivatester

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:48 pm
Unfortunately we cant get only the bearing, we get the whole set and yes it will fit any UCE engine. When the sprag gets damaged then there is high probability that the facing of the sprag housing gets damged as well hence we need to change the whole unit.

thts great....hope sprag clutch issues are laid to rest now....
hve u seen this upgraded sprag clutch by urself? does it look any different than the previous one? I doubt if the sprag clutch by itself fits interchangably with another uce engine...maybe the whole set with sprag gears is interchangable

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:55 pm
I am still waiting to see the new one, my local RE dealer hasn't got the new one in yet.

sprivatester

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:08 pm
I am still waiting to see the new one, my local RE dealer hasn't got the new one in yet.

Hve u checked out the new version sprag clutch? any details tht u can share about it...thnks