Author Topic: I'm in  (Read 7786 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: August 01, 2010, 02:16:38 pm
i bought the teal C5 from Vespa Portland yesterday and brought it home.  I'm really getting to be good friends with Justin and Pedro at the shop.  We did the final going over on the bike together.  Justin re-torqued the left side bolts and I did the ones on the right.  It's so pretty!  I got it all sorted and met the family for dinner at the same restaurant where the Ducati got totaled.  Then I took the scenic route home.  It rides wonderfully. It will take some time to get used to the lower power but it's such a pleasure on windy scenic roads at any speed.

Oh, and kind of funny to see 'Kevin J Mahoney' signed on the vehicle certificate of origin. :D

Scott
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:20:52 pm by Ducati Scotty »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:21:59 pm
Good for you Scotty, congrats! It will take a week or so of riding for your mind and body to stop comparing the new bike to the old bike. Al least it did for me after I sold the Bonnie. Then you can really appreciate what the Bullet is and does, you are going to love that bike!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:28:19 pm
Congratualtions Buddy!  Finally welcome the inner sanctum,   the green koolaid is best....

So WHERE ARE THE PICS!
Any other Enfields in New England?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:30:01 pm
I Already do :)  I think the only thing that's tough to let go of is the "I'm going 60 but I'd like to go 90." and doing that in about 3 seconds ;)  Oh, and that I don't need pre-season training every spring to get used to the clutch.  It climbed all the hills on the way home with no complaints, I'm just used to running thin on power at 100, not 55 :D  I'm really looking forward to my trip down to San Francisco at the end of August.  Got to start shaking out and getting things sorted to just the way I want them.  I already poked and prodded a lot at the shop as we checked it over.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:30:38 pm
Welcome to the gang..(officially!). :)

What bolts are you referring to? Are they prone to falling off?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:32:39 pm
One more of us and one less of them....   :D
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 02:35:48 pm
Some where around 1500 - 2000 miles the motor will come alive, it's fine now but you'll be amazed at the difference then, you can feel it getting better all the time as you ride. Keep us posted.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 02:37:35 pm
Just checked over all the engine and all the other bolts.  Yes, things tend to loosen up on every bike over the first few hundred miles and this was the demo bike  Techs always check things over as part of initial setup, just before a bike goes to a customer, and again at first service.  The 'first service' on any bike is basically an oil and filter change to get all the metal shavings out and then a check of every nut and bolt.  You get metal shavings from the manufacturing process and also from the transmission breaking in.  The gears shed metal as they settle in with each other.

Yeah, it's  at just over 1,000 now and was 700 last time I rode it.  Totally different feel to the engine!  Around 2000 would be a great time to wake up, just before that stretch of I5 south of SF!  Coming up through LA with my Ducat was scary, I was going 90 and felt like I was standing still!  I like the more relaxed pace of Oregon.  On break-in, Justin says even riding the bikes home a few times he can feel them get more settled each day.  It's just a few miles but taking it through a heat cycle really helps.  I'm figuring it's about 1,500 to and from SF so I should have time for a few hundred before then and then it will be well settled by the time I get back home.

Should be interesting if I get to ride with my sister in laws boyfriend.  He has a CBR 600 and we were planning on a ride while I was down there.  It will be a very different ride than it would have been on the Ducati!

Scott
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:44:37 pm by Ducati Scotty »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:06:44 pm
Congratulations buddy! Nothing like the feeling of a new bike. your probably in the garage wright now starring at it, or half way to SF ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:33:08 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:19:17 pm
Just checked over all the engine and all the other bolts.  Yes, things tend to loosen up on every bike over the first few hundred miles and this was the demo bike  Techs always check things over as part of initial setup, just before a bike goes to a customer, and again at first service.  The 'first service' on any bike is basically an oil and filter change to get all the metal shavings out and then a check of every nut and bolt.  You get metal shavings from the manufacturing process and also from the transmission breaking in.  The gears shed metal as they settle in with each other.

Yeah, it's  at just over 1,000 now and was 700 last time I rode it.  Totally different feel to the engine!  Around 2000 would be a great time to wake up, just before that stretch of I5 south of SF!  Coming up through LA with my Ducat was scary, I was going 90 and felt like I was standing still!  I like the more relaxed pace of Oregon.  On break-in, Justin says even riding the bikes home a few times he can feel them get more settled each day.  It's just a few miles but taking it through a heat cycle really helps.  I'm figuring it's about 1,500 to and from SF so I should have time for a few hundred before then and then it will be well settled by the time I get back home.

Should be interesting if I get to ride with my sister in laws boyfriend.  He has a CBR 600 and we were planning on a ride while I was down there.  It will be a very different ride than it would have been on the Ducati!

Scott

Welcome. And when you plan to be around SFO, send me a message. We coudl go for a ride together. Maybe the 'big sur', or to lake berryessa.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:04:07 pm
Big congratulations! It was only ever a matter of time.  :) Strangely enough, the first time I rode my G5 it reminded me of a Ducati. Don't ask me why, probably the rorty sound more than anything. And the last Ducati I rode was a Pantah back in the eighties so my recollection is probably hazy. Anyway, you'll love this bike I'm sure. The power is never gonna compare to the Duke and for sure there'll be times you wish you had more. Mostly though it's fine, it's just a different way of riding and with the crowded roads here in the UK and cameras everywhere it actually makes a lot of sense. I don't worry about keeping a clean licence anymore!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 07:07:17 pm
I'm assuming you've done it, but if not-
I highly recommend getting on 101 South.   It's a long day from Portland to SF, but it's coller in all ways; temps and scenery.
Run what ya brung

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 09:03:21 pm
Congratulations!! Those teal C5s sure are pretty!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 11:47:04 pm
I'm assuming you've done it, but if not-
I highly recommend getting on 101 South.   It's a long day from Portland to SF, but it's coller in all ways; temps and scenery.

Yes, driven many sections many times, ridden from San Diego to SF and back once, rode from San Diego to Portland once to bring home the Ducati, and will be going from here to there on 1/101 as much as possible.  I wouldn't want to take the RE on the freeway for that long.  Also, my wife and son are going down earlier than I am, so....

This is daddy's vacation :D 

I don't know if I'll make it either way on one day.  I'll probably end up splitting it up.  It's about 16-17 hours just moving, not counting rest stops.  That's probably more than is safe/fun for one day's riding.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 12:32:43 am
I like the teal color.
It's a real vintage-looking color that is out of the ordinary.
It looks good!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 01:21:57 am
Congrats "Professor"  ;)

Many smiles per gallon to you.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 03:12:31 am
If we're talking about going from Portland to SF on 101 / 1, that shouldn't take more than 8 hours at a fun pace.  At least as far as I recall. 

Went from Seattle to SF in one day, just to say I did it. 
God help me. I still wake up screaming...
Run what ya brung

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 07:15:27 am
Google maps says 17 hours.  Took me 20 last time I drove it with leisurely stops.  It takes my relatives 10-11 hours on 5 and they move.  I don't know what you consider a fun pace but I don't think I could keep up with you. ;)

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 05:09:41 pm
Nice, good looking boy and bike!
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 07:18:32 pm
Handsum Family and a beautiful bike, good luck scotty.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 07:31:02 pm
A chip off the ole block - and getting a feel for dad's bike already  :D
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 12:27:57 am
Very cool, nice family.  Nice Bike, 

Thanks for sharing...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 12:53:17 am
Note to others: babies and well waxed tanks are a slippery combination ;)

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:43 pm
That brings an instant mental picture to mind!  I have raised 6 kids,  Babies and any combination of anything is slippery!    ::)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 09:39:32 pm
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5