Author Topic: How much oil ?  (Read 1835 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 01, 2010, 06:40:33 am
Changed motor oil at 550 miles. First change was at 75 miles by dealer. Replaced with one quart of valvoline 20w50 synth through the dipstick hole. How much more do I need to add. The dipstick is dry. Should I perform some decompressed kicks to spread the oil around after more oil is added. 

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:01:43 am
More like 1.75-2 quarts, I can't remember because I fill mine to the bottom of the dip stick, then run at idle for a minute or two, shut off then check oil again . add if necessary to about half up the stick.

From then on check after a ride.

I also kick it over 4 times or more to prime the oil , before fire up.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

zentrax

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:39:35 am
yep, what REpozer said. IT may be a bit early to start using synthetic though. These motors like a long break in time, 1000 miles or kilometres at least on mineral oil to free things up. then by all means use synthetic best thing. I use a brass one way check valve on my crankcase breather which eliminates all problems associated with it, plus it allows me to fill my oil to top of dipstick mark quite safely :)
Nothing is inexplicable.........only the unexplained......

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:09:37 pm
Could you share where you get that valve from ?

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:06:37 am
Any good sized straight PCV valve - get the biggest one with the quickest action you can fit on the hose.  Be sure to use a metal one, just in case.  You can figure out which way to set it by blowing in each side - one side it'll blow through the other it'll lock up.  Set it so it can blow air out but locks up when it tries to suck back into the crank (blows outwards from the oil tank).

Shucks/Oreilley's has them in boxes for you to open.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

zentrax

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:13:33 am
Geirskogul is correct. The valve i use is a brass one way check valve designed for air compressor's etc. You can get them with either a nylon or brass internals, nylon has temp rating of 100 degrees c, brass 150.......ish. I use the brass but i dont think i had to, bit of overkill. As stated as long as you get a solid seal in one direction it's good :
). I ended up doing this kind of thing after being bitterly dissapointed with the bunn breather kit. Was big dollars for a bit of cheap plastic and hose which gave me big disapointment  :(. Place the hose from pcv/check valve outlet to chain, the miniscule bit of oil that comes out......eventually.... will do good here :)
Nothing is inexplicable.........only the unexplained......

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 03:48:11 am
Is there a specific size I should look for ? Does it plug directly into the crankcase, or into the tubing ?

Thanks.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 04:18:23 am
From oil tank - two inches of tubing - pcv valve - wherever you want it to go.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!