Author Topic: Guzzi open house  (Read 3398 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 31, 2010, 10:22:31 pm
It had been more than 3 months since I had been on the bikes. Another 4 weeks to go, according to the doctor.
I was hungry. Somehow I got the feeling that Uncle Ernie was not going to come through with the hot dogs he PROMISED he would deliver to me.
Two days ago I’d been cleared to drive, for short periods and short distances. I dragged myself to my Toyota and headed for the Guzzi open house. I hurt some, but I didn’t want to miss my chance to see my bestest friend.
When I got there, the parking space was full. I parked in the Mexican restaurant lot and walked to the shop. Out by the sidewalk was some organization collecting for something so I pretended to be talking on my cell phone. They usually leave you alone that way.
As I surveyed the lot I realized Uncle Ernie had not arrived yet. He was on the forum, and I noted he logged off right before I left, so I figured he was on his way. Last time, he ate all the food, so I reasoned I better get some while I could
I retreated to the parking lot to view the bikes. There were probably 50 bikes when I arrived, and more were coming in.
The dealer had his inventory outside: a couple of Aprillas, a few scooters, and maybe 6 Guzzi’s. I sure hope the guy makes it.
The riders’ bikes were most interesting. There was a Triton there, a new Bonneville, quite a few Ducati’s and lots of Guzzi’s. Still no Enfield.
From time to time I pretend I have the wealth of Uncle Ernie and what Guzzi would I like to buy. While I am attracted to the new V7, I find that there are a lot more substantial Guzzi’s that are sold as leftovers or low mileage, for less money. Recently a dealer was selling just uncrated 2008 sport 1200’s for around $8,000.
But what I saw was a disappointment. The Guzzi’s had evolved into enormous hippos. Huge tanks, wide, heavy bikes. Someone had a 70’s BMW R90/6 there, and it looked tiny compared to the whales bearing the MG nameplate.
I had been there 30 minutes. The sun was shining, and I realized once again Uncle Ernie stuck me. I figured he was probably home in his pajamas with the feet in them, watching Oprah.
“Bloody wanker” I mumbled to myself, in my best Clamp accent, as I left for the long ride home.
 ;D
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:28:26 pm
Well, he emailed me and said he didn't come because he bought another 3 wheeler.
He sent along this picture.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:31:30 am
Oh man, I want one!!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:47:16 am
Not all the Moto Guzzis are bloated bikes.

When I turned down Vince’s Electra-X (recall that I had a pickup truck ready to haul it back to Seattle that day), earlier that day I had driven by Moto-International, the biggest Guzzi dealer in the nation, albeit small change compared to Japan and HD.  I stopped and talked to owner Dave Richardson (author of Guzziology, a complete guide to all things Guzzi) and told him what I was doing, heading 50 miles to Vince’s.  Dave knows Vince and called the bikes Royal Oilfields, but in a friendly teasing manner.  Dave said to stop in if I didn’t buy the Electra-X.

I got a 2007 Nevada 750 as new but old-stock.  $5950 was a great price.  Today I would buy the V7 Classic, at $9,000 new.  Anyway, after about a year I took a long day trip over the mountains and back and got beat up with wind and seat fatigue, and ran out of gas (my stupid fault).  So in a fit I put it up for sale and a 60-year young fellow flew in from Minnesota and bought it and rode it down the coast to Crater Lake and then east back to his home.  It ran flawlessly for him and he couldn’t be happier.  He had been out of riding for 25 years, imagine that!

So I turned around (repented) and bought a ’05 Guzzi Nevada with less miles and a windshield and saddlebags and better shocks, etc.  It was $700 less than my sale price on the ’07 Guzzi.  The buyer wanted mine because it had a year of warranty on it, even though I steered him the other way.  He never used the warranty.  The ’05 Guzzi was reliable, smooth, fast, light (not much more than the Enfields), handled great, comfortable up to 150 mile day trips, and fuel efficient (58mpg overall). 

I found that I was making excuses NOT to go riding after a while.  There’s no reason to have a bike if it doesn’t get ridden, so it got sold ($3,800).  I didn’t lose much and have no regrets selling it.  I enjoyed it but wasn’t having fun on it anymore.

If you are close to a Guzzi dealer you should test ride one.  The V7 Classic is closest to the Enfields in terms of seating and styling.  You might be due for a change of bikes.  But be forewarned that the parent company Piaggo seems to make some strange decisions regarding the Moto Guzzis from time to time.  Start lurking on www.wildguzzi.com and see for yourself.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 09:19:16 am
I liked the smaller 500cc Guzzis too. I think they stopped making them.

Re Uncle Ernie' s new ride:

You couldn't bowl around in that little machine without a smile on your face.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:34:49 pm
I liked the smaller 500cc Guzzis too. I think they stopped making them...

Moto Guzzi might still be making 350cc or 500cc versions for the Euro market, but perhaps Piaggo decided that their own scooters would be sufficient, and forced MG to start at 750cc.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 04:16:16 pm
Being a hooligan, I'm a fan of the Guzzi Clubman...

http://www.bikerpals.co.uk/images/MotoGuzziV7ClubmanRacermoto-guzz-v7-clubman-racer-1-1.jpg

It is probably not even available in the US due to the fact that it is too cool.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:51:20 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:33:28 pm
I didn't see anything about Guzzi's in that link.  But- if you mean the alleged cafe treatment, it looks to me like the only things that changed are the seat and paint.  OH- I think there's clip-ons, too.  Clip-ons with no rear-sets?!

I seem to be the only one concerned that Bernie knows what my PJ's look like...
When I stop posting all of a sudden, could someone please check his basement?
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:52:46 pm
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/10/moto-guzzi-v7-clubman-reportedly-set-for-production/

Oh, and Uncle Ernie, dindn't you realize at the last rally, your pink pj's and Birkenstocks clashed with your black leather jacket?
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 07:52:09 pm
Thanks for posting a proper link Blue Ridge.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:57:12 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:44 pm
That bike is NICE.
When they hit Oldpeoplsville, I may have to sell my Musketball for $10K and get one.

I'm also accepting offers, so get yours in early.
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 05:05:02 pm
Prof Stack,
Thanks for your thorough explanation. My situation is a little different. Due to medical bills, and dwindling income, I need to sell a few bikes, so I am looking down the road a year or two when finances will hopefully be better.
I've been thinking about the Enfield (I think the G5 is better looking) but I have been monitoring the forum and it doesn't seem to be as  problem free as I would like, and pricey.
The Guzzi's. There seem to be some real bargains on leftovers and slightly used bikes. The Bonnevilles. Even the Suzuki TU250X.
As I read thru your post, a few things hit me. Maybe I am misinterpreting things, if so, let me know.
You ended up buying the Nevada partly because of dealer proximity. MI is a great dealership. I have a Guzzi and Triumph dealer in my area, the Enfield dealer is 70 miles away. Having owned the Ural (my "dealer" is several thousand miles away) and I learned that a good forum trumps a mediocre dealer everytime. So even if the Guzzi dealer goes out, I am not concerned.
Old stock/slightly used Guzzi's are a bargain. They depreciate quickly. I can't afford a V7, so I am leaning towards a Breva 750. A fraction of what a C5 would cost me.
It sounds like the bike was very reliable. I wonder if you would take a C5 on a 150 mile ride, and would the buffeting be just as bad.
The 2 year transferrable warranty was a selling point for your buyer. The Enfield warranty is not transferrable.
It sounds like you got bored with the Nevada, and I hope you have good luck with the C5. I like my Iron barrel, and may still consider a G5 in a few years, but it looks like the Guzzi is the bargain right now.

REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:54 pm
Prof Stack,
Thanks for your thorough explanation. My situation is a little different. Due to medical bills, and dwindling income, I need to sell a few bikes, so I am looking down the road a year or two when finances will hopefully be better.
I've been thinking about the Enfield (I think the G5 is better looking) but I have been monitoring the forum and it doesn't seem to be as problem free as I would like; and pricey.

Sorry to hear about your need to sell some bikes.  This is a bad time to sell used bikes but a good time to buy them.

The Guzzi. There seem to be some real bargains on leftovers and slightly used bikes. The Bonnevilles. Even the Suzuki TU250X.

The NOS (New Old Stock) Guzzis are usually from shops that stop selling them and return them to Piaggo to redistribute at fire sale prices.  That is how I got my ’07 Nevada.  The TU-250X is a fun but little thumper.  1st gear is uselessly low, I learned when I test rode it.  I haven’t seen any bargains on these here in Seattle.

As I read thru your post, a few things hit me. Maybe I am misinterpreting things, if so, let me know.  You ended up buying the Nevada partly because of dealer proximity. MI is a great dealership. I have a Guzzi and Triumph dealer in my area, the Enfield dealer is 70 miles away. Having owned the Ural (my "dealer" is several thousand miles away) and I learned that a good forum trumps a mediocre dealer everytime. So even if the Guzzi dealer goes out, I am not concerned.

Seems like a no-brainer if you have a close by dealer (I’m only TWO miles from the new RE dealer).  But be smart and support them when you need oil and accessories, rather than looking for Internet bargains.  You want the shop to continue to be there for you. 

I would have never have considered a Moto Guzzi if I didn’t drive by MI’s smallish looking shop on highway 99 with three motorcycles (or scooters) in the window with inviting price tags.  Turns out that they are Aprilia’s top seller in the US as well.  Awesome techs and mechanics as well.  (You should order one from them and fly out and drive one back home.  You can stay with me while you’re here.)

The Nevada/Breva/V7 Classic share the same motor.  All need valve adjustments.  All have three oil compartments (the 3rd one is the lube and moly needed in the shaft drive).  All need the original gas line tubing, clamps, and fuel filter replaced ASAP so they can handle USA gasoline.  Both my Nevada’s had it done.  The demo Nevada I tried didn’t and I was stranded just off I-5 and had to call for a pick up.  I think I told that story here on the forum in 2008.

Old stock/slightly used Guzzis are a bargain. They depreciate quickly. I can't afford a V7, so I am leaning towards a Breva 750. A fraction of what a C5 would cost me.

Yes, they depreciate quickly and bargains do abound.  The Breva is the sportiest of the 744cc Guzzis.  I liked the ride when I test rode it, but at that time wanted a more standard model.  The V7 Classic was not around then.  But the NOS model was only $5950, less than a new Royal Enfield and I’m sure more trouble-free.  Last look at MI found another NOS Nevada for about that money.   [/color]

It sounds like the bike was very reliable. I wonder if you would take a C5 on a 150 mile ride, and would the buffeting be just as bad.

I WOULD take the broken-in C5 or G5 on a day ride of 150 miles.  Wind buffeting is there, but my experience on the Guzzi was for a high-speed ride averaging 70-80mph, something I don’t need to do anymore (unless I were in a car).  The Nevada was much tougher than I was riding it.  Heck, 85-90 mph one day was not a problem as I was trying to keep up with a buddy on his Buell XB9Sx.  

The 2 year transferrable warranty was a selling point for your buyer. The Enfield warranty is not transferrable.  It sounds like you got bored with the Nevada, and I hope you have good luck with the C5. I like my Iron barrel, and may still consider a G5 in a few years, but it looks like the Guzzi is the bargain right now.

The warranty is just for your confidence.  The Guzzi is bulletproof (oh, such a pun!) and should out-last you.  Just use the correct 10W-60 synthetic Swiss oil that they want you to put in the main motor.  Yeah, I got bored with the Nevada.  But all signs seem to indicate that karma was leading me to this sweet opportunity to get the motorcycle I've really wanted for many years.

The G5 sucks in the looks department.  Just kidding, but I like the C5 look much better.  Plus, it was designed around the 1951 Enfield, which happens to be my birthyear.  So it is meant to be, right?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 12:38:59 am
I've ridden several 150 mile days, and a few 350 mile days on the C5, no problem.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association