Author Topic: Another UCE does 5000 miles  (Read 4325 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: July 31, 2010, 09:26:06 pm
OK I know it's been done before, but indulge me, I'm in love.   ;)
I knew this was going to happen this evening so I took my camera. Hoping to be able to stop right on the 5000, but it just wasn't that sort of road, so went a bit over.
Not a bad view though - my favourite bit of coast, and what a road for a thrash!  :D
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:34:15 pm
Congratulations! I am getting close to 6000 on my G5  :P

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:39:19 pm
Congrats Br. WillW
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 09:39:41 pm
Congrats!, I'm at 5700 on my C5 and it's been nothing but fun putting them on  ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:57:17 pm
Fun's the word alright. I love long distance riding and an empty road way more than I should in a crowded country. But there's evenings when you get the road all to yourself sometimes, just a couple to overtake.
Old roads open up nicely. Where traffic used to race is now a deserted highway. I find these roads and put a bit of thunder back into them   :D ;)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:53:24 pm
OK I know it's been done before, but indulge me, I'm in love.   ;)

I knew this was going to happen this evening so I took my camera. Hoping to be able to stop right on the 5000, but it just wasn't that sort of road, so went a bit over.
Not a bad view though - my favourite bit of coast, and what a road for a thrash!  :D

You are in Love, but is she ?  :)   

I guess she has travelled 5000 miles with you, MAY be there is some infatuation.  Enjoy ! and keep on posting your travel stories.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:39:03 am
Congratulation! Next stop five figures!
That a nice coastline, where is it?
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:53:55 am
It's Slapton, in south Devon. At the far end of that road is a WW2 Sherman tank which is a war memorial to hundreds of U.S. soldiers who died on this coast. The whole area was taken over in WW2 by the U.S. army - all the villages evacuated. They used the beaches to practice for the D Day landings. One night several German E-boats got among them and sank a lot of the landing craft and killed hundreds of men. This was kept secret until the seventies, when a local man discovered the wreckage while diving. The Sherman tank was hauled out of the sea after much wrangling with U.S. military authorities. He had to actually buy it, but for a nominal sum when he explained about having it as a memorial to the lost men. Apparently the tracks still went round when they hauled it out! (now that's what I call chain lube  :D )
There are always a few wreaths on the tank, and of course it is visited by WW2 veterans who were here in the war.
The trees around the fresh water lagoon still have so much shrapnel in them that chainsaws can't be used!
It's a great road for a ride, well known by bikers. A long and very curvy road from Dartmouth. The hill down from where I took the photo has some good hairpins, then a three mile thrash with a couple of light curves, followed by a winding route through villages and along the estuary to Kingsbridge.
Good long walks along the beach too, never crowded if you get away from the carparks.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:24:06 am by WillW »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 02:26:06 pm
Great pictures, thanks!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

CA90290

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 03:17:22 pm
Nice world you live in. Hard to imagine how threatened it was and the sacrifice required to keep it.

What brand/make of bags are on your bike?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 03:30:30 pm
Yes a nice place to be. Happy day when I washed up in this particular world. Came for a month to help out a mate in 1987. Been here ever since. All those previous worlds long gone  ;)

The saddle bags are generic ebay. They were around fifty quid. A bit utilitarian but good thick hide, and I like the shape of them.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 03:33:30 pm
I was looking at the pics and my guess would have been New England.  Being Old England I guess this is where New England go it's name.  The three things that didn't fit at first glance: a little more hazy gray than the US east coast usually looks, the line on the road would be yellow in the stated, and the construction of that wooden fence just didn't look familiar.  Beautiful pictures.  I love that shot over the chrome tank and fence.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 03:43:55 pm
The pics at the Sherman tank were taken back in April. It was getting close to dusk when I took the others last night. There's one spot where you could get the bike lined up right in front of the tank, back from the bike in the picture, but everytime I go there there's a vehicle in the space. I wanted to do a "built like a gun" picture. I'll post it as soon as I can get it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:12:08 pm by WillW »

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:09:26 pm
congrats willw a card is in the post. ;D

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 07:12:18 pm
The pics at the Sherman tank were taken back in April.

That's a relief! I thought for a moment you'd put the original pipe back on! Congrats on the mileage and what a lovely place you live in to put them on.