Author Topic: Update to oil filter cap? (C5)  (Read 5064 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
on: July 31, 2010, 04:22:55 pm
Just did my oil change for the first time yesterday at 300 miles, and was prepared for the hell which ensues as one changes the oil filter cap. After completing it, I was wondering what all the fuss was about. I then realized that perhaps my cap is different:

It seems that I have a top locking bolt that others dont have?! Is this the nfieldstore version? http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/e-z-oil-cap-uce.html

I'm curious why my bike has this, are they putting them on the new enfields now (I took delivery this month)?

I bought the (5x) filter kit as well and had the extra small oring to put in there, but I tried to remove the top hex bolt, but its ON THERE. I felt like I was going to shear something, so I decided to not force it and leave the old one on there - it looked perfect anyway.

BTW, a small tip for that pesky oring on top of the gold washer. Use a few very small dabs of grease (I used white lithium with a high temp rating) under the oring to keep it in place while inserting into the filter cavity. Also, make sure the inner oring (the one will inside the motor at other end of the filter) is seated well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:57:06 pm by Sub »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:26:30 pm
Yep  -  you've got the new improved easy to get back on version there, you jammy bugger.  I've still got the old booby trapped version. Trying to persuade Hithcocks to make the new ones, but I'm not holding me breath.... ::)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:09:26 pm
The newer C5's in India are also getting shipped with the updated ones.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:42 am
Your oil filter cap is a NEW and IMPROVED version of what I got on my G5.  And is much easier to take off or put it back !

A general impression that RE hardly changes anything or changes at the speed of a glacier is getting trashed  !!  Must be global warming.  RE is responding pretty quickly to this one issue.  Wish they send us one as a FREE UPDATE  ;D
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:35:42 pm
My local dealer was thinking about making his own version at $20 a pop. How many here would be interested in that?! :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:37:24 pm
Could you make your own? I wonder.........
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:25:40 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:11:48 am
I brought the same setup from the Aussie distributor, looking at the photos, it seems straight forward, the only thing is that on the original setup there is a smaller brass? washer, I can't see that being used anywhere. Can anyone tell me if that washer is still used with the new setup or discarded. r80rt perhaps?

Cheers & thanks  ???

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:30:59 pm
Go ahead - Thank me for the "trick" showing up on the new production bikes .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:41:32 pm
thanks! ;D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 02:28:51 pm
Hahaha! You're WELCOME - There are several ScooterBob modifications that have come out on the new bikes - and a LOT of them have come about from feedback on this very web board! It's ALL about making the Enfields into the best bikes on the Planet. As my dear Old Dad used to say:

"The biggest room in the world is 'room for improvement' ......"

He was right, too .............
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 09:38:48 pm
Did my first oil change yesterday fearing putting it all back together but I also had a ScooterBob modded filter holder and it was a piece of cake :)

Thanks #2!

Scott