Author Topic: New C5 owner  (Read 6851 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 03:45:32 am
My dealer told me the first oil change is at 300 miles, not 100! He did not mention a valve adjustment.

On a side note, what brand and type (synthetic?) of oil are you guys using?

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 01:10:40 pm
Owners Manual states first oil/filter change in 300 miles, (500Kms)

15W 50 API SL Grade Semi-Synthetic  Here in the States Spectra brand is widely available.

My Dealer put Motul in.
Any other Enfields in New England?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 02:37:51 pm
Thanks for clarifying that warranty is state by state Kevin, I didn't know that.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 04:15:44 pm
I use Mobile 1, 15w-50. Full Syn.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 05:30:55 pm
Mobil also makes moto specific oils: Racing 4T 10w40 and V-Twin 20w50.  Though there is much talk in the sport bike forums about whether or not the V-Twin is appropriate for Ducatis since it's really designed for Harleys, both are very good oils.  The 4T costs around $10 a quart ,  I'm not sure how much the V-Twin oil goes for.  

I used Mobil 1 10w40 in my Ducati.  After some reading I was going to switch to 4T.  The bike getting totaled makes the next oil change a non-issue :(  Once I get my RE I'll be using one of these moto specific oils.  It's pricey but since the RE uses so little oil for a change I don't mind spending the extra money for a little more protection.

Nice little blurb from Mobil's site about why car and moto oils differ:
"Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).

(Updated December 2007)"

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx

Scott
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:42:58 pm by Ducati Scotty »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 02:39:51 am
Scotty - I used the Mobil in my Doo-Katty as well - until I figgered out that it turned into mayonnaise! It seems that the old Mobil oil is highly attracted to water - not a problem if you ride it every day - but I ride mine pretty seldom, so I switched to Klotz - and no more white foamy goop!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 04:31:38 am
I got a little white haze on the oil level window that refused to go away but the oil seemed fine.  That haze is usually indicative of some condensation in the oil, often goes away with a good long run that heats the oil and boils all the water out.  Mine seemed to stay no matter what I did. 

For whatever reason a lot of the Ducati's fog up their oil level window, so I don't think it's the choice of oil that does it.  Now, living in the Pacific Northwest, well that probably doesn't help ;)

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 11:55:06 am
I got a little white haze on the oil level window that refused to go away but the oil seemed fine.  That haze is usually indicative of some condensation in the oil, often goes away with a good long run that heats the oil and boils all the water out.  Mine seemed to stay no matter what I did. 

For whatever reason a lot of the Ducati's fog up their oil level window, so I don't think it's the choice of oil that does it.  Now, living in the Pacific Northwest, well that probably doesn't help ;)

Scott

Oh - the haze I could live with - it's the butterscotch milkshake in the sight glass that freeked me out!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 03:14:49 pm
I never like butterscotch :P