Author Topic: My C5 "Jumps" out of gear  (Read 15302 times)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
on: July 25, 2010, 12:53:43 pm
I own a 2010 C5 in India, which has clocked 4100 kms. My bike has a very peculier problem of jumping out of gear ocassionally, on hitting a pot hole or unseen speed breaker. This has been observed in every gear from 1st to 5th. Initially I thought my foot unknowingly flicked the gear shifter, but now I am convinced that there is a problem somewhere.

I would like to make use of the experience of other owners on this forum to identify the exact cause of this problem and steps to be taken to rectify it.

The bike is otherwise quite happy to do a top speed of 140 KPH with the upswept or stock, and can smoothly do 120 KPH with a pillion (and 110 KPH without one, cause anything upwards with the rider alone she starts to shake her derrier)  :D. It returns a mileage of 31 KMS/Lt of fuel.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:16:44 pm
Welcome to the forum, I'd take it back to the dealer and have it checked out.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 04:50:06 pm
My G5 does the same occasionally but not as much as it used to. I put it down to "slopy riding".
Does seem to be getting better with more miles on the clock. (2500mls)
But if you are concerned I would return to the dealer, and let him have a good look.
I assume your bike was not involved in the "gearbox recall", things did improve with my gearbox after the recall.
Welcome to the forum.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 04:51:28 pm
Have you tried adjusting your clutch? Welcome!!
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:30:31 am
The service engineer took it for a ride and did not experience this problem. He then had a word with his senior who advises that UCE gearbox does not have false neutrals as in older CI models  ??? and that if the bike is jumping out of gear it could have happened only in the 1st or 2nd gear  ???

However when I insisted that I have experienced this issue in almost every gear from 2nd to 5th, he suspects, this could be a problem with the "Striker" ( a lever located on the right side of the engine, just below the location of oil filter, which selects gears).

Has anybody opened the UCE engine and can anyone confirm if this is true. I am worried that they may not do a good job of replacing the striker and hence may bring more suffering for me (here in India the workshops are ill equipped to open and fit back the engine in its original factory condition).

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 12:43:53 pm
Perhaps you can contact the Factory and inquire if they know of a shop equipped to do the repair correctly?
Any other Enfields in New England?

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:00:25 pm
Is there some one on this forum who knows the UCE engine inside out and would be able to assess the situation correctly for me.

Because I doubt the statement of RE engineers that there is no "neutral" between the gears of UCE engine. I can shift into a neutral between each gear, so how come what they are saying is true.

Secondly, does anybody know what this "striker" thing is.... I would appreciate response from the GURUS of UCE Engine.

Thanks for your feedback though.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:13 pm
 You might try sending a PM to Chinoy. He is in India and very experienced with the UCE.
His bike holds a record or two  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 01:40:28 pm
I am no Guru of this motor, there are not many as it is so new.  However the Striker is part number 3 in the photo below.  From the looks of the photo I can imagine that a weak spring or bad striker could cause it to jump out of gear.

It is part number 570226, the spring (No.5) is part number 570230 the pivot (No.2) is 570253.

Hope this helps....

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 05:38:01 pm
Bradey:

I agree with Ice, check with Chinoy. You can do a search for his name to find his posts and then send him a personal message by clicking on his ID.  He had opened his bike in India (I think Bangalore).  Another person is SSR who is in Punjab or Chandigarh - he also has same model C5 as you.

If it is the striker or its spring at fault, qdolden has posted a nice picture before me.  I am just adding the names of parts in the first picture below.  The second picture is its actual location in the right side crankcase.  To see picutre in large size, bring the cursor on the picture and right click and then open picture in New Tab.

Since it is a new bike and still under warranty, it is best done by a dealer who knows the engine well.  

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:58:03 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 08:32:58 pm
My bike has "false neutrals"
On my first ever ride on my G5, I found that after stopping, for petrol, I was unable to start on the ES., but could kick start it. After a big panic and several minutes of messing about, and a call to my dealer, I realised that I was'nt getting a neutral green light, but I had selected a false neutral by mistake( no green light)
On finding the correct neutral AND green light, the bike starte on the ES, no problem.
It never happens any more.
So yes,---- there are false neutrals.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:21:00 pm
Is there some one on this forum who knows the UCE engine inside out and would be able to assess the situation correctly for me.
Another vote for Chinoy....in the absence of a trained worldwide dealer network that can help.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 01:28:33 am
singhg5
What book did you get that photo from? 

I like to buy a copy if it for late model C5's

-Q

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 04:50:03 am
singhg5
What book did you get that photo from? 

I like to buy a copy if it for late model C5's

-Q

Q: 

It is from Service Manual for Bullet EFI (C5, G5).  When I had bought the manual, it was Part Number 597451. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:48:58 am
Thank you singhg5 and qgolden for the accurate photos. You have made my day guys. I'll study these carefully and get back to you.

Meanwhile, where did you order the workshop manuals from. Is it possible to buy these in INDIA.