Author Topic: Does this exhaust joint look right to you?  (Read 7071 times)

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 06:44:15 pm
I think I'm going to take it all off and re-seal with fire gum  -  something's causing the old girl to backfire from time to time - moreso than usual this evening.

Mine is the same Will, taking it all apart won't solve the problem. The reason your bike is backfiring is because you've put on an aftermarket sports exhaust, mine did the same. I've now re-fitted the stock exhaust and all's well again.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 08:48:44 pm
Yeah I expected a bit of backfiring, the original exhaust does it but it's way more subdued. It's nothing I can't live with, but I'm puzzled by the wholly random nature of it. Sometimes it don't, and sometimes it do.
Doh!  I guess that must be the nature of it..... :D
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 09:41:10 pm
Yeah I expected a bit of backfiring, the original exhaust does it but it's way more subdued. It's nothing I can't live with, but I'm puzzled by the wholly random nature of it. Sometimes it don't, and sometimes it do.
Doh!  I guess that must be the nature of it..... :D

Though I believe that your bike is doing what Rusty's did and if you replace the stock exhaust back on it, the back firing will disappear to the way it was before.  

Just out of curiosity, do this test and see if you notice any difference in backfire -

1.  Start the bike and let it warm up for 60 seconds by watch in neutral just standing still.   Then put in first gear and gradually build up speed into higher gear.

2.  Start the bike and just go, without waiting to warm up.  

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:30:09 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 10:03:20 pm
I will conduct this interesting experiment at the first opportunity.  :)

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 12:30:19 pm
hi will,if the joint was leaking wouldn't it have a sooty mark.just for the record mine on the standard exhaust doe's a little backfire now and again.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 07:26:33 pm
I don't really think there's any leak Billy. There are no signs.
Singh, I tried the slow warm up before a good long ride today - in all truth I generally do leave it ticking over while I don helmet & gloves. Also I have 300 yards of very narrow lane with high sides and curves to negotiate before I turn onto a not quite so narrow lane for 600 yards before I reach proper road, so the bike is really barely above idle all that time. I also try to stay focused and mindful  -  zen and the art of and all that... So I'm not thrashing about like a boy racer.
So today, 70 mile round trip on mixed roads. The odd little pop on the overrun, a couple of good'ns, but random, as usual. Slowing onto the slip road after five miles or so at 75mph on the dual carriageway  -  not a pop. Yet just chugging along in traffic on rural road - a good bang as the throttle closed.
It's the nature of the thing, and not a nuisance.
On a side note, I realised today I just can't get on with earplugs while riding. Makes me feel somehow disconnected. I had to stop and take them out. The helmet provides some level of ear protection of course. It'll have to do.

Ride on my brothers. Joyful heart, quiet mind.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:33:19 pm by WillW »