Author Topic: In praise of the Road Rider tyre.  (Read 3233 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: July 22, 2010, 09:34:02 pm
My Avon AM26 RoadRiders arrived today and I'm just back for trying them out. Wow, what a diference!  I went along a few of the roads where the stock tyres were very inclined to wander about on the uneven surface, and the bike just stayed rock steady. But the real difference is in the cornering - it leans so easily into the curves now. I didn't realise I was having to haul it around so much before - now it just knows and does it on its own pretty much.
And I swear  -  no, listen  -  it goes better!   It can't be   -  can it. ...?  Nah.....  can it....?  ;)
Getting the wheels on and off was way easier than I expected - quick and simple. Luckily my new set of spanners arrived today too - no more struggling with my old assortment of whitworth and a.f. and who knows what obsolete adjustables!
Cheapest quote I could get to supply and change the tyres was £160. Ridiculous. I bought them online for £116 delivered and slipped the bloke at the local tyre place a tenner to change them. Job well done.
I'm very glad to see the back of the old skidmasters. Why on earth do R.E. put these horrible dangerous tyres on the G5 yet they put the Road Riders on the C5? Why?
So what pressures do you folks put in your Road Riders? I've currently got 32 in the rear and 28 in the front and this seems good so far.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:44:13 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:56:25 pm
Why on earth do R.E. put these horrible dangerous tyres on the G5 yet they put the Road Riders on the C5? Why?

I'm on my second set of "Squaremasters" on my Classic... first set lasted 11K miles, feel OK in turns (nothing dramatic), and work well in my daily drive - 50 miles with 15 on dirt roads.  Was suprised how well they work in the "slop" after rain... just my experience... 'guess that might be why... ;)

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:02:01 pm
Yeah I'm probably exaggerating the awfulness of the skidmasters - I just didn't like the way they track along grooves in the road surface so much. They always felt fine cornering - and I do like a bit of quick cornering - but the Road Riders are a revelation by comparison. I couldn't go back.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:04 pm
I had no idea until your recent post that they put Speedmasters on the G5 as luckilly for me they put Roadriders on the Clubman. They are a very good tyre, I agree. I use 27 front and 29 rear which is what the Avon website recommends for the Electra. EFI isn't mentioned but it feels just fine.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:16:58 pm
Yes I knew you had those tyres on the Clubman - the Clubman's got all the good stuff!  I had to buy the good exhaust and I had to buy the good tyres dammit. But I know you paid a lot more for the Clubman than I paid for my Electra.  ;)
Thanks for the tyre pressures.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:25:05 pm by WillW »

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:38:41 pm
I'm very glad to see the back of the old skidmasters. Why on earth do R.E. put these horrible dangerous tyres on the G5 yet they put the Road Riders on the C5? Why?
So what pressures do you folks put in your Road Riders? I've currently got 32 in the rear and 28 in the front and this seems good so far.

Avon recommends 27psi front/ 29 rear for the Road Riders.

Wait until you try those Road Riders in some gravel, sand, mud or wet grass. You'll be calling them Road Rash Riders then.
I put some on my G5. Great tire for pavement both wet and dry. Suicidal on most everything else.
Problem is I ride on just about everything so they just don't cut it.
I'm glad that at 4,400 miles the rear has worn down to a nice flat profile right past the  wear-bars and there is a Speedmaster/SM combo waiting in the garage to be put back on.
Why does RE put those "horrible dangerous" tires on their bikes? Probably because their not "horrible dangerous" !  If they were I doubt if Avon would have been making them as long as they have and as many people would still be using them.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:43:25 pm
I've usually been running my Roadriders at 30 front and 32 rear, although lately I've upped it a bit to 32 and 34.  I find my steering weird at anything much less than 30 on the front.

Eamon
Eamon

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:57:35 pm
".....gravel, sand, mud or wet grass......"

Well, yes of course. But I only ride on the road, and although there are unexpected patches of gravel on Devon roads, I doubt there's any tyre that'll hang on regardless.
Horrible Dangerous?  You didn't read my follow up post did you?