Author Topic: Turn Signals- The Rant  (Read 11875 times)

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 03:49:52 am
I have one bike with and one without signals,, I use them on neither.  After you get used to hand signals they start to be part of the routine.   Stick out arm, look over shoulder , change lanes.

Same here. My prewar HD, and some others, will never have signals even if Obama dictates it.  Even on my more 'modern' bikes I see no reason for their existance when judged against the added electracal/mechanical complexity, the relative poor on/off performance, inability to use with gloves, and often the danger of riding around with a turn signal on.   I never use them in favor of hand signals.  Why should I risk a ticket [and danger] if a bulb happens to be blown?  Plus they look like hell on any proper motorcycle. 

ace.cafe.  Was that a better rant?   
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 09:14:01 am
Same here. My prewar HD, and some others, will never have signals even if Obama dictates it.  Even on my more 'modern' bikes I see no reason for their existance when judged against the added electracal/mechanical complexity, the relative poor on/off performance, inability to use with gloves, and often the danger of riding around with a turn signal on.   I never use them in favor of hand signals.  Why should I risk a ticket [and danger] if a bulb happens to be blown?  Plus they look like hell on any proper motorcycle. 

Oh shut up Obama has nothing to do with things like that.  Philistine.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 12:24:56 pm

Another gratuitous swipe at President Obama. Sigh.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 04:57:34 pm

OldSalt,
I'm with you.
No turn signals for me.
Good rant.

+2 Extra points for dragging a political argument into the mix for added agitation!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 01:18:46 am
O.K., O.K. Change the 'Obama' to Reed and,or Palosi if that's somehow more accurite. 
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 11:29:30 am
These people do a replacement turn signal module that has an inbuilt cancelation option.

https://www.kisantech.com/

It operates after a preselected time which can be set to be over-ridden by the brake light.

Therefore, if stopped at lights, the turn signal continues for ever with the brake light on. Once the brake's released, the counter starts.

It also has option for day run lights and hazard 4-way flashers.

Now if only it could be set up to pour Guiness...........
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 01:52:05 pm
there are no inspections here in s.c., so electrical signal d o not matter if you use hands. however, i checked with a couple of states that do inspections and they require blinkers to work if they came factory. i was thinking of 'jumpering' the blinker control and stick some leds in the fixtures for coinstant 'on'.
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 03:35:59 pm
OldSalt,
I'm with you.
No turn signals for me.
Good rant.

+2 Extra points for dragging a political argument into the mix for added agitation!

Uh, what's the "political argument?"

As far as turn signals go, what about just not using them?  Skirt the Law, live life on the edge.

Steve

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 05:33:13 pm
I see only one issue with no turn signals.

You know what hand signals are.  I know what hand signals are.  Thinking that your average Joe, Jane, 16 year old, 60 year old knows what hand signals are is wishful thinking.  It's a biker thing.  The sheer lack of proper driver education means that trusting in your hand sigs means you are just waving that sucker in the wind.

You stick you hand out, Larry Cell Phone has no clue what you are doing.

You:  "Son of a BITCH... I signaled RIGHT!"
Car driver: "Um... I thought you were waiving hello to that mail box."

You maybe be totally in the right, but just be super carful in trusting the world with your hand signals. 

No one misses the post-close-call hand signal though.  For some reason, that middle finger shines like a beacon in the night.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 05:44:46 pm
Yeah, hand signals are great when people know them, but so many people don't.  Both on my bicycle and my Bullet, I really do sometimes get people waving back at me when I signal right.  I agree that the stock signals are a little dorky looking and want to replace them with something that suits the bike more (like the bullet ones in the catalog), but as for myself, I'm keeping signals on it.  Rather than turn signals vs. hand signals, I often use both together.  I don't think you can count on it being a certainty that anybody sees either, but doing both covers you bases better.

Eamon
Eamon

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 12:20:05 am

Uh, what's the "political argument?"

As far as turn signals go, what about just not using them?  Skirt the Law, live life on the edge.

Steve

I added Obama's name to my rant to give it an unnecessary political component.  Got two extra points by doing that!
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 06:04:16 am
Then there isn't any argument and you're the only one playing.

My take on the signal lights is most of them look like crap, but what's going to hold up in a court, if it turns into that?  Bike riders need to make themselves as visible as possible.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 08:18:24 am
If you seriously imagine most or even any car drivers are going to notice hand signals, let alone know what they mean, you must be living in a parallel universe where all other road users are trained and licensed by bikers.
Or you have a death wish.
Or you're simply a whacky dreamer dangerously detached from reality.
As for wiring them so they're permanently on - see above.   ::)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 04:06:56 pm
If you seriously imagine most or even any car drivers are going to notice hand signals, let alone know what they mean, you must be living in a parallel universe where all other road users are trained and licensed by bikers.
Or you have a death wish.
Or you're simply a whacky dreamer dangerously detached from reality.
As for wiring them so they're permanently on - see above.   ::)

Bingo!!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 04:43:55 pm
I've seen motorcycle turn signals wired to flash like a hazard light.
That is both side flashing together. Seemed strange to me.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)