Author Topic: Turn Signals- The Rant  (Read 11879 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: July 20, 2010, 08:41:34 pm
Here we are in the 21st century and motorcycle directional lights still don't self cancel. My harleys answer to this was to have them on only when you held the button down, and I think this was a pretty good answer to the problem.  The reason for the rant is that I think this is a heavy contributor to the old "Car made a left turn in front of me and nearly killed me" problem. If there are bikes out there with self cancelling signals please fill me in. I am surprised the the Insurance Industrial Complex has not picked up on this. Rant Over. :-\
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:59:54 pm
I canceled mine permanently by taking them off.
My 03 Electra Glide had self canceling signals. They had a time limit and a tilt switch if you leaned the bike over so many degrees they would turn off too.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:52 pm
My 1986 K100RT and the 1987/90 Frankenbike K100LT both have self cancelling turn signals. Its coupled to the speedo, which is driven by a hall effect off the third member gear. Works great, but often cancels too soon.
 jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

CMB

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:04:27 pm
The Triumph self-cancelers work well (2010 Thunderbird).

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:16:34 pm
I like it the way it is - keeps me awake  ;D

Turn off, turn on and check if the light is blinking etc. keeps my mind active. The rider is in control  of buttons - means You are incharge - not the machine.

As HRAB pointed out that these self-cancelling 'things' have their own mind (problems) - such as not cancelling when you want them to, or cancelling too soon, and more parts mean more break down repair expenses !  

My rant over  ;)
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:42:28 pm
Replace the warning light in the speedo with a green LED. Much more visible even in bright sunshine and you're less likely to leave em winking.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:23:59 pm

As HRAB pointed out that these self-cancelling 'things' have their own mind (problems) - such as not cancelling when you want them to, or cancelling too soon, and more parts mean more break down repair expenses !

Yup, and every time the Speedo quits I need to take the sensor out and clean the metal dust from it, change the 3rd member oil to restore function.

jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:36:56 pm
Good rant!

I give it about an 8.5 out of 10.
Marked down because of insufficient cussing, and too short to really get a good blood pressure rise going.
 :D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:54:47 pm
I consistently check the status of my blinkers when riding, probably every few minutes I hit the cancel button to verify that I turned them off after the last turn.. I also use my horn like a forklift driver whenever in traffic, I probably piss a few people off but they know I am there... On that note I really want an "aaoooggaahh" horn. any tips?
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 12:02:20 am
Put a small alarm horn on the turn signal relay.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:27:56 am
I have one bike with and one without signals,, I use them on neither.  After you get used to hand signals they start to be part of the routine.   Stick out arm, look over shoulder , change lanes.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 01:14:59 am
Well, I don't use mine either, especially when wearing gloves.  Glad to hear that there are some bikes with self canceling. My "newest" bike was a 77, so I'm way behind the times.  And yes, I allmost flattened a dude the other day at an intersection. It made me think of the times it allmost happened to me.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 01:26:36 am
I consistently check the status of my blinkers when riding, probably every few minutes I hit the cancel button to verify that I turned them off after the last turn..

I also use my horn like a forklift driver whenever in traffic, I probably piss a few people off but they know I am there... On that note I really want an "aaoooggaahh" horn. any tips?

Took the words out of my mouth.  I do the same - Hitting my turn signal button every few minutes, even when I have cancelled it earlier, Just in case it tripped !!!

As far as HORN - I do honk and so far no body seems to have pissed off.   When I see someone entering my road, from a side street in FRONT of me and do not stop in time I HONK and let them know to look at the STOP sign and also see me coming.  Many drivers do not want to stop under any circumstances because a motorcycle will not hurt them.  I honk BEFORE they enter in front of my bike. Better a honk than a thud - motorcycle and motorcyclist will always lose against a car or SUV.  :'(

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 02:05:34 pm
Oogah horns available at Harbor Freight,like everything else.I turn off my signal when I am signaling another turn,mostly.Really annoyed by this and intend to do something about it,a loud beeper of some sort,I allow.Most beepers are on the level of sound that I cannot hear as a result of firing M14 without earplugs.Mite get an oogah horn and hook that up to the friggin' turn signals.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 03:05:53 am
wifey's v-star self-cancel just fine. you have to watch them at a long red light.

i'm still a big believer in hand signals. i think hand signals help to 'keep your mind in the game.'
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic