Author Topic: C5 No Go...  (Read 2300 times)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
on: July 18, 2010, 08:46:39 pm
Hey everyone

Not been on here in a while, hope every one is well!

I've not been riding the C5 much since May as the bracket for the clutch handle/mirror broke and it took forever for the parts to come in to replace it.

I got it last week though and swapped in the new one, simple. As the battery was a bit low from sitting a while I plugged it into the optimate till it was all charged and hooked it back in.

The bike wouldn't start.. the pump came on etc but when you hit the electric start it just ticked. I checked the battery connection and saw the terminal on the negative was corroded so I wired on a new, decent, terminal and she fired up lovely. Except the baffle in my upsweep silencer is broken (second upswept silencer I've had due to baffles breaking).

I let her run for 5 mins, then put her to bed. Next day, went to the garage, fired her up, rode her down the street for some photos with my friend who was getting married and wanted to look cool next to my Enfield, went to start her up and nothing.

The fuel pump whirs up as usual, engine light goes off, hit the electric start and it tries to turn over but no go. As if the side stand was down, but it's not.

I've checked the fuses, even replaced them all with new ones, nothing. Checked the sparkplugs were firing, they are. Checked all the wiring to see if anything was obviously undone, but I can't see anything.. hooked the battery up to a charger, tried a jump pack on the battery while hooked up too, but no joy.

Problem is the closest RE dealer is some distance and I'd need to pay a hefty price to get the bike taken there, so if I can fix it from home that'd be nice, but I'm running out of ideas here...
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:46:39 pm
What's an "optimate"?   If that's one of those portable jump-start things, they kind of suck.  (sorry)  If it's a regular charger, you need to monitor the charge because anything over half an amp can harm the battery.
If it's a regular battery- where's the fluid level?
Also, check for a short somewhere.  A lot of times one of the terminals is touchng the frame.
Got gas?
Is the kill switch off?
Run what ya brung

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:14:19 pm
Yeah checked all the usualls. An Optimate is one of the main battery optimisers in the UK, Oxford make em. Shows the battery is healthy.

But I found the culprit...

Was the spark plug.. I had put in a 'performance' NGK one instead of the stock Bosch one months ago, and it was sparking when I removed it and held it near the engine block earlier, but I guess the RE decided it didn't like NGKs anymore, I threw the old one back in and she fired up... Who'dve thunk it..

So now I just gotta ply this broken baffle out of the silencer and I can hit the road with the RE again
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:44:04 am
The baffles in the upswept have a weak weld I think. I had to get it replaced within a week.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:28:40 am
What spec was the NGK plug, James?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:39:05 am
But I found the culprit...

Was the spark plug.. I had put in a 'performance' NGK one instead of the stock Bosch one months ago, and it was sparking when I removed it and held it near the engine block earlier, but I guess the RE decided it didn't like NGKs anymore, I threw the old one back in and she fired up... Who'dve thunk it..

What exactly is this "Performance" plug.  How many miles did you have on this "Performance" plug ?  Any visual clues as to what happened ? Can you load a picture of your 'performance' plug ?

NGK plugs work very well with RE EFI.  Right plug, with correct specs, works for thousands of miles without a problem.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:52:48 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:15:48 am
When I fetched my G5 thre was a problem with the white connector on the right side besides the injection system. This connector tends to slide out a bit.
Did you tried a push-start? Maybe its the electric starter after all.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl