Author Topic: C5 vs. G5 back to back test rides  (Read 9148 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 04:32:11 pm
To put the rumor to rest - the frame on the C5 and the G5 ARE DIFFERENT. The G5 utilises the Electra upper frame - but it has been modified quite heavily in the engine mount and swingarm locations to give it more torsional rigidity and allow for a 50mm longer swingarm on the bike. The C5 frame is lower, shorter and has that sweet tucked in rake angle for razor edge handling ..... it was made from a clean piece of paper, basically. So there you have it - and you have the reason why those two bikes fell SO differently from each other!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 04:56:16 pm
Thanks Bob.  Didn't know the frames were so different.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 05:22:18 pm
Thanks Bob.  Didn't know the frames were so different.

Scott

Yup - The C5 is a radical departure from the "same-old, same-old" at RE - They DID use the best of everything they knew - and made it WAY better for the C5 - that's why they can't make enough of them to satisfy the demand! That little bike is TRULY the best thing since sliced bread as far as Enfields go!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 06:10:11 pm
Hey Bob, think there would be room for a 19" rear wheel on the C5?  I think the 19" front with 18" rear is what you want now knowing that the frame is different but just curious.

Also, any thoughts on adding a steering damper to the C5 as is?  It only seems to get waggly when you don't pay attention, a steering damper could minimize those errant rider inputs.  Having grown up with air cooled VWs I could see trying to tack one of those on to the lower triple, maybe hide it under the tank if there's room.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 08:51:02 pm
Hi Scotty!
I had a longer test ride with the c5 and was impressed by the marvelous handling at lower speeds. To improve stability at higher speeds i would not start with a steering damper, there are less radical measures to achive this goal. The tires play a decicive role, and I don´t think much of these avon gums.  Maybe the US-registration laws are loose enough th allow different sizes but changig to anouther brand will certainly make a big difference.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 10:27:07 pm
I agree, the stabilizer is a radical step and one should never put one on to cover up problems.  I think it's possibly ok here because we aren't dealing with an unknown problem we want to mask, we just have very short trail.

Yes, different tire sizes and profiles can also be used to get things tipped in a different direction.

I had heard the AM26 was a pretty good tire, and also good in the wet which is important for me here in the Pacific Northwest.  Am I misinformed?

Scott

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:06 pm
The AM26 IS a very good tire.  I find it teriffic on wet or dry pavement and the handling really feels great on my bike (an '06 iron barrel).  The only thing I don't like them on is unpaved surfaces.  They have a very good reputation around here, but they are not everyone's cup of tea (what tire is?).

Eamon
Eamon

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 11:34:06 pm
Heard nothing but good about the AM26 Avons (Road RIders). I have some on order which I expect any day. Replacing the awful stock Skidmasters, which go anywhere they feel inclined to.... :o
AM26 have excellent grip on wet and dry roads and good for cornering I'm told. Crap on grass, but they're road tyres - and if you can find anything that's good on sudden unexpected patches of gravel then you let me know. ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:47:07 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 02:45:10 am
Hi Scotty!
I had a longer test ride with the c5 and was impressed by the marvelous handling at lower speeds. To improve stability at higher speeds i would not start with a steering damper, there are less radical measures to achive this goal. The tires play a decicive role, and I don´t think much of these avon gums.  Maybe the US-registration laws are loose enough th allow different sizes but changig to anouther brand will certainly make a big difference.
Your turn Scotty :D
 There are better tires out there, but for cost and performance, It's hard to beat the roadriders. I have put them on the bikes i've built, and worked on. And I recommend them to the people who's bikes I work on, unless cost is not an issue. This is before I had my Enfield. They are a very good all around street tire, I for one have never had an issue wet or dry. They are not by any means an off road tire, but if planning to go off road,I think it reasonable that you would get a specialty tire anyway. And no, I don't work for Avon. ::)  Do you get the Avon speed master's in Germany, on your C-5's, Maturin? 
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 02:46:07 am
The AM26 IS a very good tire.  I find it teriffic on wet or dry pavement and the handling really feels great on my bike (an '06 iron barrel).  The only thing I don't like them on is unpaved surfaces.  They have a very good reputation around here, but they are not everyone's cup of tea (what tire is?).

Eamon

Eamon - I don't even want  to TALK to you about handling on an Iron Barrel bike compared to a C5 - Hahaha! You could ride YOUR bike on a gravel road with bald tires in the rain as fast as it would go - with one hand! The old Iron Barrel is one STABLE platform for a bike. It was made for roads where there ARE no roads .... I STILL prefer my old Iron Barrel for the "Famous ScooterBob Bobblehead Toodle About the Countryside" because I don't have to REALLY pay attention ......  ;) Hahaha!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 02:50:32 am
Hey Bob, think there would be room for a 19" rear wheel on the C5?  I think the 19" front with 18" rear is what you want now knowing that the frame is different but just curious.

Also, any thoughts on adding a steering damper to the C5 as is?  It only seems to get waggly when you don't pay attention, a steering damper could minimize those errant rider inputs.  Having grown up with air cooled VWs I could see trying to tack one of those on to the lower triple, maybe hide it under the tank if there's room.

Scott

Scotty - I think you could, indeed cram a 19" baloney under the back of a C5 - but doing that without doing the front would probably maker her MORE twitchy as it would negate what little bit of trail you already have. A 19" bloney on the front is a dream on that bike - and offered on the IDM models - probably because of the crappy road conditions. Of course, I didn't get to ride the dang thing long before it was snatched out form under me - but I HOPE I can keep the C5 heep that I'm muling around on now to see how that will work out on the road. There are a few other little things that I want to "spare-uh-mint" with as well .......

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 05:00:26 am
Yeah, with all I've learned so far on this thread I'd say I'd go for the 19" front and 18" rear.  It was just idle curiosity.  I did see that they offer both tires in slightly larger and smaller sizes than what comes stock.  That's an option too.

Maybe they'll start putting the 19" on the front as stock and the 18" kit will be a companion piece to the sidecar :P

Oh!  And got the ins company up to the amount I wanted.  Should have money in my hand soon, maybe this week.  Still looking at a few other bikes...

Scott

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 07:05:09 am
Eamon - I don't even want  to TALK to you about handling on an Iron Barrel bike compared to a C5 - Hahaha! You could ride YOUR bike on a gravel road with bald tires in the rain as fast as it would go - with one hand! The old Iron Barrel is one STABLE platform for a bike. It was made for roads where there ARE no roads .... I STILL prefer my old Iron Barrel for the "Famous ScooterBob Bobblehead Toodle About the Countryside" because I don't have to REALLY pay attention ......  ;) Hahaha!

Yeah, it's not like I haven't still taken it on dirt roads with those tires!  Muddy ones no less!  I still might prefer something like K70's if I was doing more of it.

Eamon
Eamon