Author Topic: Biker café threatens to ban bikes  (Read 1590 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 18, 2010, 01:30:24 am
The owner of a café which used to be a popular biker meeting place has threatened to ban motorcyclists.

John Simpson, owner of Lord Stones Café in the Cleveland Hills, North Yorkshire, has already changed his opening hours to halt a Tuesday night bike meet which attracted over 1000 riders.

Now he has warned he may not serve us at any time following a row over food service.

The café owner was quoted in his local paper saying: “If this goes on, I will put up a sign saying ‘no bikers’. We’re not just a bikers’ café. We’re here for everyone.”

Over 700 motorcyclists joined a Facebook group urging a boycott of the café following the same row with a rider over food.

Simpson told MCN: “His language was abusive. I said, ‘Look, we don’t need this.”

Members of the Facebook group complain of being made to feel unwelcome at the cafe.

Simpson said he’d ended the Tuesday night gathering following bike crashes nearby and because “the locals won’t put up with it and I can’t cope.” He insisted riders were welcome at other times.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2010/July/jul1610-biker-cafe-threatens-to-ban-bikes/
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:00:04 am
Gee - I'm betting that he'd change his tune if the motorcyclist business went down the street to another cafe' ...... that's bullsh!t ......  >:(
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:20:21 am
 The  riders will vote with their feet ( and wallets ).
No matter where you go, there, you are.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:45:51 pm
But thats what he wants. No bikers.

Why have bikers dropping in once in a while and sending everyone else away.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 04:26:54 pm
Look.  It's his business, he can do what he wants in regards to this.  Sadly, it's one of the FEW choices a business owner gets to make nowadays, with regulations and shit.

If he doesn't want them there, let him.  If he still makes money afterwards (I think he will - bikers are the minority even in most "biker" bars, and this is just a generic cafe), then he'll still make money.  Another business will have the "joy" of catering to the new clientele.  

I don't understand the outrage.  WAAAAAAAAAAAH WE CAN'T EAT THERE ANYMORE WAAAAAAAAH!   Just eat somewhere else.

One of the things about running your own business is the ability to say "you can leave now" when you don't want to deal with someone anymore. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 06:07:12 pm by Geirskogul »
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!