Author Topic: The Future of RE?  (Read 4654 times)

Archersix

• Scooter
on: July 17, 2010, 04:55:07 am
Since it looks like Enfield is doing swimmingly even in this current economic downturn, what do y'all think the future holds for the brand? News is that the company plans to increase production by a good margin. Do you think that we might see a parrallel twin engined Interceptor model? More market share(new dealers hopefully?)

What do you think RE will do, and what would you like to see them do?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:39:37 am
I think a parallel twin would be a good and logical step for R.E.

Read a bit on the web once about one of R.E. engineers reply to a question why they didn't go to even more modern with the UCE design by including things like overhead cams etc.

The engineer did his best to smile and said  "Sir we build Royal Enfields". 

Based on how the C5 compared to my Iron Barrel in a recent test ride I believe the factory knows exactly what qualities make an R.E. an R.E.

As long as the bean counters don't over ride the decisions of the engineers they will continue to grow in my opinion.

A parallel twin  Interceptor MkIII would be nice and using as many Bullet and common market parts as practical would make it more attractive to prospective buyers.

Just my .02 worth
No matter where you go, there, you are.

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:40 am
Hope we never see a OHC RE.  It probably wouldn't look anythig like a vintage limey.  If 'modern' things like an OHC is stuck on the top of an air cooled engine  the situation changes when it comes to head cooling.  An OHV push rod engine can get along reasonably well because the 'rocker boxes' don't mask so much of the top surface of the head.  Not so with the OHC.  The top of the air cooled head is then badly compromised in regards to cooling.  One of two things must then be resorted to if the engine is to regain reliability.  Copious amounts of oil, which usually requires a second seperate oil pump, and a oversized oil cooler.  Is that acceptable considering the small practical gain the OHC will supply.  Or water cooling.  Water cooling adds pump, radiator, hoses, jacketed barrels and other items that increase the CG heigth and overall weight and affect reliability due to mechanical complexity and further increases cost.  In my humble opinion we'd end up with a ugly, heavy, expensive, poor handling, and unrecognizeable bike.   

As far as unit construction is concerned the only advantage is some weight saveing, at the expense of greatly increasing the dificulties when repairing the machine.  Now that there are very reliable and cheap primary belt drives available the reason for unit construction is probably more related to cost of manufacture and assembly ease.   
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 07:49:34 am
I would like to see a cafe and trials set up without having yo pay for a factory set up PLUS a kit.  That cafe racer that RE showed last year in India was a beaut.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Archersix

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:41:13 pm
Factory set up specials are at the top of my list too. Something like the McDeeb scrambler that doesn't say "Mcdeeb" on it.  And I agree with the OHC and unit const. Comments. I just really glad that a kick lever is still available.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:29:44 pm
They could do a twin.
A twin will cost more, because it's more complex. Most of the parts in the upper part of the engine will need 2 of each.
Everything in the engine will need to be "beefier" to handle the extra power.

If I were looking at doing something more powerful and unique, I'd take a serious look at a beefed-up UCE that's punched-out to about 650cc, and put a small low-boost supercharger on it, with a very well programmed new ECU to control the fuel and ignition to work very well with the boosted package.
This is being done on cars all the time.
Plenty of power.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:20:55 pm
Come on guys isn't it obvious? V-Twin UCE, as in Musket. Lets hear the cheer go up!
Robert and REnfield in Michigan. ;)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:36:32 pm
A new Royal Enfield twin?
Impossible to resist.
How much more freakin damage do you think my credit card can take?? :o
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:26:50 pm
before they expand into any new product lines, i would like to see them focus on providing a solid product with good initial quality. i'm sure many of you have heard my bitching and moaning about the brand new '08 i bought. a twin may be a better engine, but it would be nice if re did plenty of testing first. and not just in india. maybe read the stats and test new machines in a typical area of high sales volume
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:26:34 pm
I'll stick with my trusty one lunger.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 01:13:27 am
  I want a big head bullet that would be sweet, possibly with a girder front end.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 01:42:52 am
I want a UCE engine in a hardtail with a girder fork! That would be another dream come true :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 03:54:07 pm
Wish, and ye shall receive.

From another RE blog:
"But then he told me that Royal Enfield's fantastic looking café racer will come to the U.S. when it rolls out in a couple years.

The café racer got a "tremendous response" when it was unveiled at Auto Expo 2010 in New Delhi, and it will be applauded in the U.K., home of history's first café racers, Anantharaj said."

A few years is almost too long for me to wait, but that gives me plenty of time to put some dollars in a jar.  Lets just hope it comes to the US too.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 12:11:50 am
A V twin would be neat. However, a pushrod parallel twin would probably be a bit more practical. it would be great to see a 750 twin in a frame the size of the one used on the iron bullets. I also like none unit motors for  ease of maintenance. I guess I'll wish upon a star tonight! cochi

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 04:14:26 pm
"Royal Enfield is planning to price it around Rs.170, 000. It will be fitted with same UCE500 motor doing job in Bullet classic 500 when it will be launched in 2012. It will be for sure a bit quicker than the Bullet 500 of today though."

170,000?  Am I using the wrong conversion here... because when I do I get approx $3600 U.S. dollars.

Ok... this thing is gonna cost me more than 3,600 bucks.  So what do you guys think the real cost will be taking into consideration export and setup from a dealer?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM