Author Topic: Electrics question  (Read 3334 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: July 16, 2010, 06:49:05 pm
So I've fitted my groovy new LEDs - pilots, tail/brake, instrument lights (thanks Mike & Stumpy from Michigan for posting part nos.) but the engine management light wont work. The bulb's fine, and the helpful guy from Superbrightleds tells me it's probably wired backwards - which makes no odds to a standard bulb but does to an LED. Now, logically (electrics not my strong suit) I can just reverse the wires, but this isn't just an ignition light, it's the engine management light - so is it wired the way it is for special magic electrickery reasons, or will it work either way?  I don't want to start blowing fuses or worse. It aint vital to change it of course, but since I've got it....

Apart from that, the green lights (neutral and turn indicator) are way more visible in bright daylight, and the pilots are now white instead of yellow, and ought to last way longer.

2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:01:38 pm
Need more info, like a schematic for your new L.E.D.'s, instructions,or something, can you post it for us?, Did you install a load equalizer with the L.E.D's, if not all lights in circuit are L.E.D.?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:42:21 pm
I don't have any info at all I'm afraid, they're just LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. I've replaced the neutral and turn indicator lights in the speedo with them, and the little "Royal Enfield" logo light, also the pilot lights above the headlight. They all work fine. The other instrument lights - fuel, ign, hi beam -  are still the stock bulbs and also work fine. As far as I understand, you only have to install extra gizmos if you replace the L & R turn signal bulbs - otherwise they're straight replacements. Although the dual function rear LED replacement bulb only works correctly one way round. So when I first installed it, it only worked EITHER as a rear light OR as a stop light, but not both together - turning it round 180 degrees, in other words swapping the contacts, fixed it.
Like the man said, if the bottom contact is pos and the side contact is neg, the LED works fine, but unlike standard bulbs, they'll only work that way round. I wondered if the ign light socket is wired the other way round randomly, in which case I'll change it over, or whether it's wired the opposite way for electronic reasons I don't understand?
Mind you, now I've got this pile of replaced stock bulbs for spares, I guessI can just leave things be.....

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:48:43 pm
WillW - I think the processor uses that MIL bulb as part of the circuit to test the system. If I am looking (cross-eyed, probably ...) correctly - it sends DC one way to self-test - and the opposite way to signal trouble ...... That's probably why the LED won't work - unless something breaks!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:09:32 pm
I'll leave well alone. I didn't think it would be just wired randomly the opposite way to all the others. But I like those green ones - really bright. There'll be no more forgetting to cancel the turn signals.. :)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:39:32 pm
WillW, keep an eye on those non LED bulbs for over heating. I've had issues on other bikes, with a load equalizer.maybe there on a different circuit, I'll look at the RE schematic when I go out to the garage. Could be no problem though, hopefully the guys who tried it out first had no problem.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:12:52 am
Thanks. I didn't realise there might be a problem mixing them. The instrument and pilot lights are very small and low watt. The tail light more I guess. Gulp - thought I was doin good :-\

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 05:50:15 am
I don't have any info at all I'm afraid, they're just LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. I've replaced the neutral and turn indicator lights in the speedo with them, and the little "Royal Enfield" logo light, also the pilot lights above the headlight. They all work fine. The other instrument lights - fuel, ign, hi beam -  are still the stock bulbs and also work fine. As far as I understand, you only have to install extra gizmos if you replace the L & R turn signal bulbs - otherwise they're straight replacements. Although the dual function rear LED replacement bulb only works correctly one way round. So when I first installed it, it only worked EITHER as a rear light OR as a stop light, but not both together - turning it round 180 degrees, in other words swapping the contacts, fixed it.
Like the man said, if the bottom contact is pos and the side contact is neg, the LED works fine, but unlike standard bulbs, they'll only work that way round. I wondered if the ign light socket is wired the other way round randomly, in which case I'll change it over, or whether it's wired the opposite way for electronic reasons I don't understand?
Mind you, now I've got this pile of replaced stock bulbs for spares, I guessI can just leave things be.....
Ya that's correct Will,diodes direct electricity in one direction,usually. So if you install a LED bulb (Light illuminated Diode),wrong, it wont pass it.I would not mess with any of the wiring involved with that processor.,or management light. When you say management light,does not work, you mean your warning light, correct? the light for low fuel, fuel pump,etc.? That's how it's listed in the schematic. If so it concerns me a bit because, according to the schematic, it's the only Light on that circuit. witch would be the ignition/EFI circuit. If it's not working I'm not seeing why on the schematic, your other lights appear to be on a different circuit. Are you sure your bulb is good? It may look OK, but when you test it with a ohm/ continuity tester,it may tell a different story. If the bulb is good, try to back step to a point where the warning light does work. You do want that light to work.
Let me know, Dan.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 10:27:05 am
Thanks Dan. Yes the management (ign, fuel pump) light is the one which wont light the LED, and I've decided to just leave it be with the standard bulb which works fine of course. Low fuel is a separate bulb and I've not tried that one with the LED because the tank's full. I was waiting until low fuel light comes on to see if it works with LED. If not I'll leave it be too. The LED bulb itself is fine, it lights up in the "Royal Enfield" logo socket which is in the same dial.
I'm content to leave the stock bulbs in the sockets which wont work with the LEDs . I only bought the full set  assuming they'd all be straight replacements. Didn't know LEDs worked differently. ::)
The ones I changed in the Speedo dial are good - neutral light and turn signal. The rear light works fine as I said as long as it's installed right way round. I only bought this to make up the minimum order - which boosted the total to a few pennies over UK min import amount and cost me an extra £11 on arrival  >:(   (inc £8 "handling fee". More usually called THEFT!)
In short - I have green LEDs in the neutral and turn warning, a red LED in the RE logo, white LEDs in the pilot lights above headlight, and dual function LED in rear/brake.
Everything works fine so far, so I assume it's OK to mix & match....?
Thanks again for your help.   :)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 04:20:19 pm
Good Will, I would leave it alone. I would not put any LED's on that ignition circuit, I just don't no their effects ,if any on the processor. The mix and match, on the other circuits may be ok. like I said, just keep an eye out for overheating. Did'nt mean to worry you.
Dan.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 05:29:46 pm
Cheers Dan.  All is cool.... ;)