Author Topic: Demo C5 with 500 miles?  (Read 9466 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: July 15, 2010, 10:05:40 pm
One of the bikes at the local dealer is a Teal C5 with about 500 miles.  I'm guessing it's probably got a discount because of that.  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Not sure how much I should worry about any break in violations.  On the plus side, that's 500 miles already logged on it before my August trip from Portland, OR to San Francisco, CA.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:24:22 pm
It could be one of my "skunk works" bikes ..... I'm missing a Classic Green one ......  :(
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:09:05 pm
Don't think so, it's the teal color.  I think it's just the first one they got in PDX so it got the most miles  the fastest.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:16:21 pm
I wouldn't be scared of it, if you can get a deal go fof it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:37:12 pm
I got a 1,000 dollar discount because mine was a demo with 700 miles on it.  The demo was performed during a local Enfield Factory sponsored event.  So I have to make some kind of presumption that the factory monitord the break in.  It is a risk but for a grand, one I was willing to take.
Any other Enfields in New England?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:04:32 am
Would you send a bike out as a demo that hadn't been thoroughly checked out at least 10 times by your top guy? I wouldn't, that demo would be perfect in every way before I let the general public have a go at it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:38:15 am
 ........ and BESIDES all that bullchips - if it's from a DEALER - it HAS a Factory two year warranty on it ..... Duh-HUH! Beat them into the dirt for the miles and BUY that sucker!! Geezus - You guys!!  ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 01:30:16 am
Excellent advice!
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 02:13:56 am
I prefer warranties I don't need.  Built well is usually guaranteed but the build quality is what's really important.  A friend once tried to convince me to buy a Hyundai because the warranty was so good.  It was in the shop about 10 times the first year.  When it's stuck in the shop for weeks at a time or repeatedly for fixes that doesn't help me much.  No thanks. ;)

Just wondering about it all since at least with the older engines people say it's very important to follow the break in schedule.  While people may not flog a demo I'm pretty sure they'll get it over 30mph in the first 300 miles and over 50mph in the first 600 which is not on the schedule.  I would hate to find damage like valves, rings, main bearings, etc. that only shows up after a few thousand miles because a few people took it on the freeway while new.  Not as much of a concern with the UCE.

I'm not sure what the discount would be but that certainly factors into my current situation.

Hey Bob, be nice to me, it's been a bad few weeks.  Ducati totalled by a little old lady who backed into it, condo roof leaking, 3 key people at work leaving, wife's unemployment runs out this week and no prospects for a new job, and since the ins co doesn't want to pay what the Ducati's really worth I'm stuck haggling with them for the three nicest weeks of riding time we've had so far this year.

Wah!   :'(  Ok, I'm done ;)

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:50:14 am

Hey Bob, be nice to me, it's been a bad few weeks.  Ducati totalled by a little old lady who backed into it, condo roof leaking, 3 key people at work leaving, wife's unemployment runs out this week and no prospects for a new job, and since the ins co doesn't want to pay what the Ducati's really worth I'm stuck haggling with them for the three nicest weeks of riding time we've had so far this year.

Wah!   :'(  Ok, I'm done ;)

Scott

Dood - That's TERRIBLE!  ..... I really hope that things turn a little bit of a corner for you. I DO so feel the pain on the Doo-Katty ..... I wish the wife well, too ..... I guess the bright side to all this (if your luck runs like mine ...) is that the next ten years after the wife's working again, the Ducati's fixed and the roof quits leaking will be absolutely wonderful! Like my hero Red Green says "We're all in this together - and I'm pullin' for ya!"

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:03:17 am
That is a great ride.  I'm jealous.  (send salmon jerky!)
Run what ya brung

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 03:25:55 am
Yea,i don't know, I'm always  leary about demo anything. Definitely depends on how goods the deal is. Enfields are pretty affordable to begin with. But than again if you could get a G off it? You'll have some extra bucks for that seat, and some more Goodies.
 And hang in there Kid. Did you ever see that Monty Python movie, what was it, LIFE of BRIAN, Remember that song they were sing'in while they were hanging on the cross???
 Come on now anybody?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:04 am
Yeah, it sucks.  It may get worse or better in the short term but in ten years it probably won't matter.  Most things don't.  I hope they settle up soon so I can get on to buying my next bike.

Oh, and Ducati is totaled for sure.  Someone else might fix it up but I'm not going to.  I don't want a salvage title on a bike like that.  Do you know a Monster gas tank costs $1800?  Crazy.  It's basically small and cosmetic damage but the tank is unrepairable for various reasons and for that price, takes me to total land.

The wife is an interior designer, not much call for them in this real estate market.  Our son is also 7 months old so as long as I can come up with a way to keep paying the bills they get to spend the days together.  

It's not all bad but it could certainly be a lot better.  Thanks for the good wishes.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 08:38:58 am
"While people may not flog a demo I'm pretty sure they'll get it over 30mph in the first 300 miles and over 50mph in the first 600 which is not on the schedule"

There is the schedule - and then there's reality. If you can keep below 30mph in fifth gear on this bike then good luck to you, and good luck to the poor bike too. Mine often strayed up to 45-50 in fifth while running in. On a flat road that's barely above tickover. Lumping the thing along at thirty in fifth on a new engine is likely doing it more harm than letting it stay relaxed in its own way. Half throttle is the key issue, and low revs - but not so low that you're working it to death in high gears. Fifty in fifth in its own time on the flat with a fair wind is well below half throttle - pushing it to fifty uphill upwind probably not.
 Easy to get all caught up in all that "what if?"  in your head. Lost in the story while some lucky wise man snaps up your bike for a song ........
Sure it's a gamble, but it aint much of one....... ;)

Truly sorry to hear about your heap of current troubles. A sure fire way to clear the mind and find some lightness of being --- fire up the Bullet, find some empty road with a long view, and ride....   :( .....  :) ..... :D ..... ;D ......
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:27:00 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 01:26:32 pm
Thirty miles per hour in FIFTH GEAR??? That would knock the rod RIGHT out of one because it'd not be pumping enough oil and under a huge load at the 600rpm's that you'd be turning ....... as I've said before - REV it - don't LOAD it .... and you can go ahead and RIDE a UCE - just don't lay down on the tank and pin the throttle like I do .... er, ah ..... for a little while until it's had an oil change or two ......  ::)