Author Topic: Cams and CDI box under test  (Read 4400 times)

basanti

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 07:48:41 pm
Great news! Thanks for the update  :)

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 04:45:48 pm
Wow! This is great news! ;D
The valve bounce is intresting, Got me to wondering the hows and whys.
I kinda surprised with that much psi you don't beat the seat to death, or pop the head off the valve.
The cams and CDI box is a BIG improvment.
So, what the total package that was tested ?
Cams set
Ignition box
535 slug with rebored cyclinder
bigger carb
is the head massaged for more flow?
free flowing exhaust
???????????????? ???
This may be the start of great things!
Joe
It takes more love to share your saddle than it does your bed! ;)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:29:30 pm
Hi Joe,
 Both machines to test the cams and CDI were just 500cc, the one I had was fitted with an open exhaust, 36mm MKII Amal with 280 main jet, shortened barrel and modded piston crown giving 9.2:1 compression, dual valve springs and 19t gearbox sprocket. The head was untouched, although the valves were modified a little. This machine saw 103 mph and 33.5 bhp at the rear wheel.
 The second test machine, I posted some cams to the owner to test. He informed me his machine was much closer to standard and runs a 17t gearbox sprocket. this machine reached 95 mph.
 Eliminating the valve bounce gives the largest single gain by allowing the engine to rev higher and the power graph to continue climbing.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:31:47 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 02:52:54 pm
that's even better news!
What or why are the valves bouncing?
Seems the spring psi is good, and if you shimmed them even tighter?
Odd and odder
joe

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 07:04:47 pm
Hi Joe,
 The valve bounce seems to be caused by the cam profiles used, although the motor must be highly sensitive to this, as there only seems to be the one type that allows the engine to rev further than 5,800 rpm or so. The rest of the engine is very good for producing more power and revs when allowed to. the inlet valve bounce gets pretty violent in standard form, it is an effective rev limiter at the risk of a dropped valve!
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 07:02:23 pm
After months of waiting [rather than the two weeks promised], I have a few sets of replica Redditch 'S' cams on their way to me. These gave very good results in an Electra X that I tuned a couple of years ago, but to work in these machines you have to lose the decompressor facility to allow the exhaust follower to drop onto the smaller base circle of these cams. Longer pushrod adjusters [available in the U.K - don't know if you have them in the U.S.]] may be required, plus making sure the valves clear the piston with the pushrod adjustment over adjusted by 4 flats [in] and 6 flats [ex]. This precaution is neccessary as some Electra x valve seats seem to 'stick out' more than others. at worst the valve seats MAY have to be cut back a little.
 These cams may improve the Indian 'Classic' engines' performance as well, but I have not tried this myself as of yet.
 I have priced them for the U.K and U.S., please P.M. me if interested
 Sorry, nothing worth reporting on the CDI just yet.
 B.W.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 09:25:52 pm
Cheers! Br. B.W.

That is good news indeed !!

From external appearances it looks like there may be enough material in the AVL head to machine for the installation of an Iron Barrel de comp valve if one were rabid for it.

What do you think ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 12:47:08 am
Hi Ice,
 That may be possible and would be a good fix for a standard machine, if it can be done.
 B.W.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 11:37:40 pm
Hi Ice,
 That may be possible and would be a good fix for a standard machine, if it can be done.
 B.W.

How will it work without the CDI box, i mean the ignition timing adjustment and all that jazz.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 05:15:43 am
Hi Ice,
 B.W.

Please do take a good look next time you have a AVL head on the bench as I am very curious to know.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 08:49:28 am
How will it work without the CDI box, i mean the ignition timing adjustment and all that jazz.
Hi 1 Thump,
 The cams should work on their own to make a noticeable improvement, as they reduce the inlet valve 'bounce' that occurs around 5,800 rpm, enabling the engine to rev higher. The profile of the cams is nothing exciting as far as lift and duration are concearned, they just work well and as a result of the extra rpms, the engine can produce more power and drive the bike faster.
 It would not be neccessary to fit the cdi box to get a gain in performance from the above, but the cdi 'helps a little' as well. If I cannot get these ready made to plug straight in, I may take them as is and supply connection instuctions if there is enough interest.
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 09:08:47 am
Please do take a good look next time you have a AVL head on the bench as I am very curious to know.
Hi Ice,
 I have taken a look at some pics I have and it might be possible, but fiddly to do. From the combustion chamber side, it looks possible, but externally there are vertical cooling fins which would have to be removed and the gap between the rockerboxes isn't too big, either.
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 09:10:56 am
Combustion chamber side
 B.W.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 10:48:58 am
Thank you for the pics Br. B.W. !!

I had a sneaking feeling fitting a de comp to the head might be possible.
Looking at the nice spot of real estate opposite the sparking plug hole only reinforces the notion. I will locate my calipers in the A.M. and measure my standard I.B. de comp.

Failing that I think something along the lines of these 10mm beauties may be a viable alternative.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=H14197&store=&catId=&productId=pH14197&leafCatId=&mmyId=.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 01:31:54 pm
I have just confirmed an order for ten CDI boxes which will need connecting up to the bikes' wiring looms [not too difficult and I can include connection instructions], so let's see how it goes ...
 B.W.