Author Topic: C5 Sidecar  (Read 11132 times)

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 12:45:57 pm
Finally got a bit of time to take some pics of the completed project.

Now I am building a fixture to support the Sidecar while I remove it from the Bike. It will need to have wheels on it and lift the sidecar up to the height of the bike on the center stand.  So I would put the bike up on the center stand, slide the fixture underneath the Sidecar, unbolt the Sidecar and roll it away from the bike.  It looks like I could probably take it off in less than10 minutes. On the fixture now that the alignment is complete I think I could put it back on in about 10 minutes as well.  I have not tried it yet.  When it comes off the clevis mounts will stay on the Bike.  If I painted them black they would hardly be noticeable.

Note, the headlight on the Sidecar did not come with it. It is a passing lamp off of a Harley Road King that I had in stock.  I wired it into the single wiring for the Sidecar lights and installed a toggle switch on the back of the light housing.

The Tonneau Cover, Luggage Rack, and Windshield came with the Sidecar.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:55:46 pm by qgolden »
Any other Enfields in New England?

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 12:52:30 pm
The Sidecar support that is also the right foot peg can stay on the bike and be used as the foot peg.  I will make some kind of slip on rubber footpeg cover  so I do not have to remove it.  You need to pull the exhaust pipe to get the footpeg or mount off of the bike so leaving it behind will make removing the Sidecar much easier.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:52 pm
I wonder why they are so high?

I recommend having someone held the bike while you take the chair of and re-attach.  Putting the bike up on the centerstand really upsets things.

I use a furniture dolly from Lowes and shim the chiar up with assorted pieces of wood'

Have fun !
I'm looking forward to ride reports.
Run what ya brung

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:04 pm
UncleErnie,
I am not sure what you mean by why are they so high?  Do you mean the Cozy Cars in general?  They use a 19 inch wheel and a Torsion Suspension, so the height is fixed from the Centerheight of the wheel.  Since the Torsion Rubbers are inserted into a square tube there is no height adjustment of the frame.

And can you give me a little more in your comment regarding putting the bike on the Center stand?  Why does that upset things? It holds the Bike steady and as long as the Dolly under the Sidecar is fitted to the height including the Center Stand height it should go smooth?

I will look at the Furniture Dolly, very good idea.

-Q

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 04:18:40 pm
Once you ride it a while, the tires will square off. If you remove the sidecar to ride it solo, it will handle terribly with the squared off tires. Get yourself some spare rims and tires or leave the tub on.
How much $$$ you figure you have into it?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 04:19:53 pm
The bike on a centerstand completely rearranges the geometry of the whole thing.  I suppose if you figured a good estimate of how much higher the bike is, you could put the SC wheel up on a block while you attach it- but that seems like an awful ot of trouble.  

I'm just relating my own experiences, so maybe I've been doing things wrong- but on the rare occasions I've taken my tub off, it takes me a whole day to get the lean-out right again.  Attaching the tub while someone is holding the bike up seems like it will get you that much closer without having to re-organize everything when the bike is off the centerstand.  ?     The geometry (if that's the right word) will change a bit again when you sit on the bike as the springs sag a little.

Maybe I should sit down and shut up.  
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 04:29:25 pm
Also, sidewall strength and weight rating is important in tires for sidecars. In the Ural, for example, we can't just run any 19" tire on there. The load has to be mid 600's to high 700's. Too flimsy of a tire will be downright dangerous.
Avon Safety Mileage MK II is a popular one, and Avon makes a sidecar specific tire in 3.50x19.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #37 on: July 31, 2010, 04:48:51 pm
The Sidecar support that is also the right foot peg can stay on the bike and be used as the foot peg.  I will make some kind of slip on rubber footpeg cover  so I do not have to remove it.

I had a Kawasaki with solid aluminum passenger pegs that vibrated terribly.  I got a short section of corrugated radiator hose, about 1 1/2" outside diameter.  I cut that in half lengthwise and then cut it to the length of the peg.  Two strong zip ties to mount and I had a non slip grooved rubber vibration isolating footpeg.

Cheap, easy, and no need to dismount anything.

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: August 01, 2010, 03:23:57 pm
Once you ride it a while, the tires will square off. If you remove the sidecar to ride it solo, it will handle terribly with the squared off tires. Get yourself some spare rims and tires or leave the tub on.
How much $$$ you figure you have into it?

Good thoughts on the tires,  I will keep that in mind.  Fortunately rims and tires for the Enfield at about 40 percent of what they cost me for the Harley.

Regarding $$$?   2995.00 for the car.
A roll of Hookup Wire,   (I had it in stock, don't remember the cost)
2 light bulbs.  (again had the in stock, I buy the by the box then live off of the inventory for years)
Rattle Can of Rustoleum Black Paint for touching up the mounts.

Yet to buy, decent lights, as I have said before the stock ones are very disappointing.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: August 01, 2010, 03:26:21 pm
Personally, I'd want to ditch the stockers anyway.  Get something that flows and looks better.  I love the look and location of that passing light!

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: August 01, 2010, 03:36:16 pm
The bike on a centerstand completely rearranges the geometry of the whole thing.  I suppose if you figured a good estimate of how much higher the bike is, you could put the SC wheel up on a block while you attach it- but that seems like an awful ot of trouble.  

Maybe I should sit down and shut up.  

Don't ever shut up when offering me advice, my motto is It takes a Villiage to Raise an Idiot.  Your point is well taken.   My furniture dolly based fixture will acomodate the increased height of the Centerstand. Minus a degree or two for lean out.  Note that a two foot framing square held on the floor against the side of top of the front wheel will measure the perfect lean-out if you allow an 1/8 inch in space betwixt the square and the bottom of the tire.   That from the siide car website link I think you sent me.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 04:17:47 am
Beautiful job Quinn, Looks great.
Dan.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.