Author Topic: Hows your vibes?  (Read 8950 times)

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 06:52:36 pm
I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of vibration considering that there is no counterbalacer in the engine.I was really expecting more.

The crankshaft is balanced (or counterbalanced) in of itself.  Obviously no outboard to the crank counterbalance system like modern bike engines.

The crankshaft side plates have enough mass to also act as flywheels.  No external flywheel is necessary.

Older basic engineering that's proven and works.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 07:45:54 pm
I hear that. Maybe I should have said I was surprised at the smoothness it has without an external balancer. Been on many late model singles with extra balance  units that were not any smoother than my bullet. Of course these were over square modern singles that ran at high rpms. I think the undersquare re engines with  their low end power is a big help vibration wise, to a point. I can still overdo it and cause blurred vision.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 06:20:09 am
My bike is actually pretty smooth and while you can see a little vibration when it is idling on center stand, back wheel is off the ground by the way, it certainly is not enough to vibrate it very far. I have to admit that after all I had heard about vibration, I was a little disappointed there WASN'T a little more vibe!

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 07:16:32 am
    Mine seems to,at least, idle smoother than the one I test rode.On that one the front wheel was really moving with the engine vibrations.

jon in Puyallup
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 02:14:21 pm
I can't put much on the seat without it falling off after a few seconds...gloves, goggles, hat, wrench, etc............

Adam
REA Member #10

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 11:32:14 pm
I can't put much on the seat without it falling off after a few seconds...gloves, goggles, hat, wrench, etc............

Adam

All this BEFORE you go and start it up too !!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 01:03:33 am
LOL!!!!!!!

Well I do need some coffee first thing to get my mind right!!!!

Adam
REA Member #10