Author Topic: Hows your vibes?  (Read 8952 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: December 28, 2007, 06:51:24 pm
Having only one other bullet to compare mine to I was wondering how other bikes fare vibration -wise. Since these bikes have built up cranks,this leaves a lot of latitude in their alignment at the factory, and therefore allows for some differences bike to bike in overall balance. If anyone has had some experience with older Harley's, the difference between identical bikes was sometimes really pronounced. So heres the test, at idle on a fairly level hard surface how long will your bullet stay in one spot? I had a triumph 500 twin that would go 3 feet in a minute. I consider myself lucky with my bullet at about a half inch in a minute. Of course this is all added to the overall balance of the engines rotating parts which on production bikes is done statistically, where there can be some pretty big differences also. This is why it is so important to match the weight of a new piston to the old when doing a replacement or going big bore. Anyway, it's just a simple test, hope you have a smoothie.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:13:02 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:50:08 pm
Interesting!
I suppose it could be seen as a test of centre stands too as to whether the rear wheel touches as well as the front when on the stand. Both my wheels touch and the bike goes nowhere at all on the level pavement (sidewalk I think in US terms) outside my house. In fact if it did I'd be very concerned!!!
I guess tickover speed is also important. No tacho on mine but I can count the exhaust 'beat' fairly easily.  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:04:41 pm
Mine has both wheels on the ground too, the rear just grazes the ground. Assuming everyones idle is about the same, sounds like you have good balance. Balance usually runs the gamut from smooth as silk to making your brain itch.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:21:01 pm
Check out this 350 Military in Japan. To my eye the cup of water indicates a fairly smooth operation, as it seems to have taken more than 4 minutes to fall off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F48Kuc8VId4

Kind of a wacky video to make, anyway. I'm surprised it held my interest so long.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:22:42 pm
Thats great, I think its an even better test!

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:07:22 am
LOVL. Had to be Japan eh?

Hmmm; what about the drop of water that splashes out at 01: 14 mins then? What a daft video clip and hardly @ tickover ha ha  ;D
Was he coughing because of the emissions?  ::)

Ducati 916 'L' twin

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 02:46:17 am
how long will your bullet stay in one spot? I had a triumph 500 twin that would go 3 feet in a minute. I consider myself lucky with my bullet at about a half inch in a minute.

depend on how much gas I give it..  I usually stop b4 it  escapes the garage

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 04:04:44 am
"I usually stop b4 it  escapes the garage"  :D

With or without you on board?  :o

Ducati 916 'L' twin

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 10:57:33 pm
without.. this bike has a mind of it's own..  reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ5M11m9vI0

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 12:11:43 pm
Ah Scotty.

A bit O/T but.........
One of my favourite films of all time this 'Christine'. Love the concept of a car (or an inanimate object) with a soul..................... even one as black as that!
In fact, I find that a much scarier concept than say, the Exorcist which my girlfriend (educated by nuns in a convent school) finds terrifying.  ::)

Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 01:16:08 pm
I think the bike finally dumped the cup trying to get some cooling.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 03:57:35 pm
I think there's an interesting physics question there, too. Did the cup move off the bike or did the bike vibrate out from under it?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 04:21:04 pm
Or did the world roll out from underneath it?  I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of vibration considering that there is no counterbalacer in the engine.I was really expecting more. It's the sustained high frequency vibration that causes all the cracks and broken parts that some people describe. The trick is to run the engine below that threshhold, it might keep the front fender stays and chainguard tabs in one piece. Oh, and the martini on the seat.....

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 04:37:49 pm
The trick is to run the engine below that threshhold, it might keep the front fender stays and chainguard tabs in one piece. Oh, and the martini on the seat.....

Shaken not stirred I believe Mr Bond!

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 05:13:59 pm
Check out this 350 Military in Japan. To my eye the cup of water indicates a fairly smooth operation, as it seems to have taken more than 4 minutes to fall off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F48Kuc8VId4

Kind of a wacky video to make, anyway. I'm surprised it held my interest so long.

Cup of water?

What would *you* film if your cup of *vodka* was half empty?

:D

Matt