Author Topic: Hello from NJ  (Read 3581 times)

Clifton Classic

• Scooter
on: July 12, 2010, 03:18:39 am
Hello folks,
New member here from NJ. I just recently saw a picture of the 2010 C5 over at the Sportster XLforum which led me on a search and brought me here.

What a sweet little machine it looks like!
I just recently finished up modifying my wife's 2009 Sportster Iron to resemble a retro cruiser.
When I showed her the picture of the C5 she asked me why we didn't just buy that instead  :'(

Before

After

It was a really fun project and turned out better than either of us expected but honestly if we knew the C5 existed we probably would have made that purchase.

Anyway, the reason I am here is my wife and I now have an interest in the C5 and may add it to the stable some day (hopefully sooner than later).
My wife especially likes the idea of the side car to bring the kids out with us.

For now, I would just like to see the bike close up and maybe test ride it.

I did a dealer search and it seems I don't have the best selection of dealers
in my area (zip 07012). I searched dealers up to 100 miles and it seems Canton cycles may be the best but they are 95 miles from me.
That's quite a ride to kick some tires.

I would also like to visit a dealer that carries a number of brands and accepts trades.
I'm considering trading in another bike I have which may make this dream a reality sooner than later?

So I am wondering if you knowledgeable folks here would please answer a few questions for me.

1) Based on my needs what dealer is the best for us to visit?

2) When does the current model year end and the 2011 model year begin?

3) My wife is 4' 11" and has a short inseam. I am 5' 9" 180lbs. Will we both be comfortable on the C5 since we plan to share it?

4) Is the overall length really 50"??? Seems rather short to me.

5) Do the side cars come in matching colors and if so is it an additional expense for the red or classic green?

I have plenty of additional questions but I think this may be a good start for now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Charlie

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:34:18 am
Welcome Charlie to the Forum:

You did a great job on your Sportster !  Now that you know about C5 and G5 royal enfields (RE), hopefully you will have one sooner than later.  We still have good days of summer ahead (I am from NJ, too).

1.  C5 is 85" long, and weighs 410 pounds, with a seat height of 31.5".  

2.  RE dealers are far and few for almost all RE owners in US.  You did a good search and mentioned Canton in Connecticut, who seems to have good experience with motorcycles in general and has Ural - that also comes with side cars like RE.  I do not have personal experience with him but if what he says on his website is true then he seems to be well worth paying a visit.  

3.   Click on the link below for website on sidecars, prices, and FAQ etc. 

http://www.cyclesidecar.com/

4.  RE does not change much from year to year.  Generally it is the same bike  ;D , makes it easier to maintain with fewer and interchangeable parts.  Don't know when 2011 will come - may be after all 2009 and 2010 units are sold ? The year of make does not matter - only thing matters is IF there was ANY significant change (which is highly unlikely).

These C5 and G5 are new models and came in 2009 only, so next significant change may not occur for quite some time.  Only the year of production changes on the frame !

5. I am sure others will also answer your questions that can help you make up your mind.

singhg5
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:40:23 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:37:56 am
SWEET looking sporty you have there.

When you consider that some of our forum brothers and sisters sometime live several hundred miles from a dealer, 95 miles could seem pretty close.
 These are very simple machines easy to look after.

1) Based on my needs what dealer is the best for us to visit?

You could make a day trips out of visiting various dealers to see which one you like best. spending some quality time with the missus in the process.

[/i]2) When does the current model year end and the 2011 model year begin?

New years day.  

3) My wife is 4' 11" and has a short inseam. I am 5' 9" 180lbs. Will we both be comfortable on the C5 since we plan to share it?

Only way to tell is for you both to ride one.
 The 160 pound weight difference between the two bikes will be just one of the differences you notice right off. The effortless and nimble handling will be another. ;)

4) Is the overall length really 50"??? Seems rather short to me.
 Wheel base is 54" and length should be more like 80 something.

5) Do the side cars come in matching colors and if so is it an additional expense for the red or classic green?

The side car makers do a decent job of matching colors.
"Accessories sold separately" and "some assembly required"

I have owned Sporty's and Big Twins in the past, still have my shovel.
I briefly test rode a C5 and between it and my '06 Iron Barrel, the C5 was the better Bullet.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:40:18 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Clifton Classic

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:27:54 am
Thanks for the response and the welcomes!

It makes more sense the wheelbase is 80+ inches. I went back to the specs page and pdf and they are both listed as 50" so I guess that is a typo?

I was wondering about the model year because of the paint colors. We truly like the classic green but to be honest the red and black are very nice as well.

I guess I will start my search by phone first. I noticed another dealer (UK Motorsports) which is 55 miles that I may try as well.

Thanks for your help!

Charlie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:59:38 pm
Hello from another Jersey guy. Awsome sporty. Good Job! My advise, get the enfield, you'll love it, Your sporty can't compare with the Enfields handling. From an ex- sportster owner, mind you. My advise is for what it's worth, and remember I'm biased, get C-5 or G-5, turn that sporty into a mean , rubber-mouted Cafe racer. Ok i'll stop ::)
  Good luck, Dan.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:12:12 pm
Hello and Welcome,
Nice Job on the Sporty, If you like the Sporty and like tweaking, you will love the C5. The Rake and Trail are very much unlike the Harley's, they are nimble and quick.  the C5 at 27 HP and 400 lbs give the same power to weight at the Road king and is a lot more nimble.  The front end is lighter then the sporty.

I just sold my 2003 Road King Police, and replaced it with the  Black C5.  I started out looking for a interim bike to get me by until I get another Road King, but once I took delivery of the C5 I immediately ordered the Sidecar and think it will not be in interim bike, but a keeper.  The Sidecar is slated to come in today.  I am hanging on the phone waiting for the call. waiting....waiting....waiting.... :P

By default the sidecars are black. So is my C5 so the color match should be good.  As I understand it, the Sidecar folks (Cozy) color match, but the sidecar folks are not the Enfield folks, and may not use the same paint.  I can't quantify that statement but I read it somewhere, maybe the folks from NField gear will hop in here and correct me if need be.

The NField Gear catalog says the C5 sidecar mounts are to be available soon, not sure when it was printed, I ordered mine with the C5 mounts, but communication has not been that good so I am not sure if I will get the G5 mount or the Universal Mount or the C5 Mount.  does not really matter to me, the G5 Mount is very easy to modify, the only difference between the frames at the mounting point between the C5 and G5 is the Horn Mount Stud.  It is on the frame on the C5 and on the Motor Mount on the G5 so you need to grind a little off of the mount if you are going to use the G5 kit.  Actually Grinding will be a bit of a job, if you have a buddy with a milling machine it is a two minute job, I have a milling machine.

As for sharing the bike, the rear shocks are height/ride adjustable and only take a couple of seconds each to do it with a spanner.  That will help to accommodate your different sizes.

Did you come up to Laconia for Bike Week?  The Royal Enfield Motor Company was there with the tent, truck and all.  They had all the models there and were offering demo rides.  I bought one of the demo bikes.

Your other questions seem to be answered here by the good and knowledgeable folks her on the board.

-Quinn
Any other Enfields in New England?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:39:32 pm
Thanks for the response and the welcomes!

It makes more sense the wheelbase is 80+ inches. I went back to the specs page and pdf and they are both listed as 50" so I guess that is a typo?

I was wondering about the model year because of the paint colors. We truly like the classic green but to be honest the red and black are very nice as well.

I guess I will start my search by phone first. I noticed another dealer (UK Motorsports) which is 55 miles that I may try as well.
 Charlie, that's a long ride out to the Island in Summer, looks close on the map from North jersey. I did it last year, 5-6 hr round trip. Leave in the middle of the night, check out the dealer, go to the beach, have dinner, head back way late.  We do need a dealer here in northeat Jersey, you would think?  Come on, the most densely populated part of the country? Tri State area, NYC?. Increased sales? I'll tell ya, I've been honestly, contemplating, perhaps,  maybe, Ya Know?

Thanks for your help!

Charlie
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Clifton Classic

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 04:43:59 pm
Thanks again guys.
A North Jersey dealer should be a must for this bike. I can't believe we don't have one.

Anyway, I reached out to UK Imports today and spoke to a guy named Mike.
They are open 7 days a week right now so I am going to try to get out there soon.

Regarding transforming the sportswear into a cafe racer. That's not going to happen  ;D
we like it just how it is  ;)

Thanks again everyone for your advice and help!

Charlie

Clifton Classic

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:22:44 pm
Well I have been in georgia for the past two days and as luck would have it there is a dealer in Norcross called Bluemoon.
Myself and another guy stopped in and checked out the bikes. They just recently became a RE dealer and haven't sold one yet but they had 1 Red, 1 Black and 2 mlitary C5's in stock.

I absolutely love the bike. The staff was great and even though I told them I was from NJ they took their time, answered my questions, let me sit on it and started one up for me.

They also had one hell of a collection of vintage motorcyles that were available for sale.

It was a fun day at work  ;D

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 02:49:17 am
UK motorsports is my dealer.  A good guy to deal with.  You will need tp schedule an appointment with him as his main job is a marine dealership in another part of town where he lives.  That being said you can always go to the dealership itself and see bikes, the place is huge and there are a ton of motorcycles of all types on site.  It is a place called formula 1 motorsports on sunrise highyway.  Any of the guys there can sell you a bike, but you want to deal with Mike himself, the Enfields are his business and he knows his stuff.  This is the same guy that sold Billy Joel his bikes if that means anything to you. 

If you are passing through New Rochelle let me know, I'll let you check out my G-5 Military. 

Good luck,

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Clifton Classic

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 09:07:39 am
Thanks Sam!

Mike mentioned Billy Joels bikes when I spoke to him. He said BJ's favorite is his military version.

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it although I have never been through New Rochelle before.

Thanks again.