Author Topic: Washington State Bullet owners?  (Read 337770 times)

prof_stack

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 05:31:01 am
Well Jon, that's interesting!  What's your USCF rating?  Are your pieces weighted?

I started the chess team at my school and revamped the Seattle Metro league and ran it for awhile.  I hired another math teacher who was encouraged to take over the chess stuff and he now does what I used to do, only better!  I'm sticking with the coaching of frosh boys soccer. 

Hey, what's this got to do with Bullets?  They are like Game/90 compared to a sportbike Game/5.   :D

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 06:03:50 am
   I'm like a class c player. I coached at Bonney Lake Grade School. We had another coach too. We had the two tournaments at Sumner High because our school was so small. We had like 600 players at out state championship tournament, and it was a 6-game tourney. Usual is 5 games. I remember going to lots of the local scholastic tournaments at schools like Seattle Country Day School,Bryant Elementary Stadium High School (for a girls tournament), etc. I played in tournaments at Seattle Chess Club, Tacoma Chess Club, some other local clubs and some local tournaments held at various hotels, and in the National Open in Las Vegas about 5 times. The later usually had like 1000+ players and lots of Grandmasters playing.
   I haven't played in a "live" tournamentt in years now, but still play online.
    Chess is a great game that anyone can enjoy no matter what level they play at.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

RE-curious

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 11:22:49 am
<<a special move, called a birdmove>>

love it! great backstory

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 08:00:52 am
Hey Jon, hows the break-in going?  I'm going to start putting mine back together tomorrow;  saw the sun TWICE today. 

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 05:21:36 pm
All the Washington State (and others!) that want to get together for a group ride are welcome to form up at my store. I have a large parking lot to leave any trucks or trailers. The service department could open for any last minute checks. I have coffee, and might be conned into supplying donuts. If you have a Sunday ride, I would drive a chase truck. Mt Ranier would be a nice run from here. Summer is coming...... 

prof_stack

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 05:37:43 pm
Wow, does it get better than this? 

The state's #1 RE dealer will not only provide coffee and donuts, but will also back up the riders on a Sunday run! 

Vince, you might even sell a few more bikes this way, too!   :D

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 06:28:22 pm
A Rainier ride sounds awesome!

Eamon
Eamon

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 08:29:31 pm
  Gotta keep up on my break in. I'm at about 160 miles so far.I'll truck her down to Vince at 300 for the first service.After that I'll probably take it from there.I'm not commuting on it yet as I don't want to push it.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

prof_stack

Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 10:15:54 pm
The last time I took a group ride to Mt. Rainier was about 2003 with a sport bike group out of north Seattle.  Those guys were NUTS!  They sped along the express lanes until a lookout spotted highway patrol cars.

On the 2-lane roads leading up to Mt. Rainier the speeds were over 80MPH and a couple of the riders went into 1/2 mile wheelie stands at 85+ mph.   :o

The speeds and turns were more than I was comfortable doing on the Buell (although the Buell with a better rider would have been fine) and after lunch at Paradise lodge many of the riders split off.  Going 60 mph never felt so slow.   ::)

I don't think these antics are likely on an RE ride...   :D

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 06:51:30 pm
Yikes!!  Tpp many deer and rotten leaves and such on those roads to be doing that crap!!   

Another interesting and fun toot is to go up 410, peel off on the #70 F.S. road.  After about 7 miles on that, you can ride pretty good gravel to the Cascade Crest and then on down to Cliffdell, then back up the hill to Chinook Pass.  (Well, might have to wait a few months for that one!!).

There's that sun again.

Steve

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 04:35:00 am
Vince told me about this thread...

I'm up in Port Angeles. Usually work Sundays but I may be able to work out something if I knew far enough in advance.

Went out on New Year's Day with two dual purpose riding friends. Halfway into the ride we opted for a Forest Service road into the foothills and soon ran into 4"-6" of snow. My buddy on the Transalp stopped to ask if I was okay with the snow (I was raised in New England so I know a little bit about the subject...) We went a couple of miles but had to bail because the other dual sport rider (KLR650) couldn't handle it. Finished up with coffee and pie at a local roadhouse. Good day!

Hmm, I was doing fine in the snow, thank you.  Feet up, 3rd gear...Isn't this what RE's were made for?

-JC
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 06:10:47 am
Well hey Jesse;  sounds like you got your valve train problems sorted out? 
Mine has been on the centerstand in the garage since thanksgiving, what a wretched wet winter, eh? 
We are taking the ship into the yard this Sunday for a couple of weeks, then I think I may bring the bike back up here to P.A. and start some tinkering and tuning. 
This afternoon light is pushing a few more minutes on us every day, and I like the way that feels. 
I am going to try and ride to Rosalia in August, down past St. Helens, Troutdale, Yakima, and go up that way. 
But not 'til I get a new seat,,,

Steve

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 08:28:02 am
Steve,

Finally got a nice pair of Samrats. Valves adjust up nice. Flattened bottom of head on glass with emery paper. Installed an annealed solid copper head gasket with aluminum paint for sealant. Still seeps but she runs sweet. (I always knock on wood for luck...) Next time I'm up to it I will pull the head and install a stock laminated head gasket.

The 3.25 K70's are very nice front and rear. Just last night I installed the British-made rear rack though I will have to make accomodations for the Missus when it warms up. She has a new leather jacket y'know.

I will be starting on the m/c shed in a few weeks. I know the bikes are lookin' forward to it.

Snowing out tonight. About 3 " accumulation so far. Too late for a ride tonight tho' :O)

Get in touch when you are about. We'll kick some tires, turn a wrench, and/or go for a ride, weather depending.

-JC
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 09:32:39 pm
Whenever the first ride seems to firm up lets plan the particulars far enough in advance that as many of us as possible can go I usually prefer to go my own way thus don't plan to far ahead but i imagine to get the maximum number of people comfortable with going it would be good to know where and when  as soon as is feasible. The fact that there are so few of us so far flung makes it seem extra cool to get as many riders as possible.
     Rainier sounds coo as do all the other routes. Let's do them all!

Juggernaut

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 07:49:23 pm
Thought about this when I was about to get blown off the Narrows bridge last night...

Yeah I've got a very tall and light automobile. (45 mpg freeway keeps me not complaining!) Returning from my basketball game which was a  grueling and tough battle back from being down 20 pts to within 3 at the buzzer, I engaged in an equally epic battle on the journey to my hotel room. Wet snowflakes falling in droves was the first assault. After I outran it, I sighed in relief only too soon.  Making it onto the new portion of the bridge made me wish I hadn't exhaled that last, life-perserving breath.

Too late(this morning) did I find out about the wind advisory. Too long was the last time I had checked my tire wear. On the middle of the bridge, I made 2 lanes my own as my white-knuckled grip fought to keep my car pointing in the right direction. finally making it safely across, I cursed the wind and shook my fist as Scorpions-No one like you played softly in the background...

Long story short, any comments on riding the bullet or any lighter motorcycle across the bridge? I know my car is more likely to succumb to the winds on the bridge than most others(understatement), but I wonder about your experiences you could share.

Thanks!
(sorry about the long intro to a simple question, but it gets boring sometimes.) :-X
Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.