Author Topic: Washington State Bullet owners?  (Read 345849 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1200 on: August 30, 2016, 03:07:33 am
Well, we are glad you made it home safely, Scotty. Been there, done that (tinted goggles at night) on my very first street ride (1969?) and with a pillion to boot! She didn't know how to hold on properly. One second she'd slid back onto the the taillight and the next she was pushing me up the tank. I couldn't see on the rural backroad and when I tried, one-handed to raise the goggles onto my helmet, they slipped and ended up with the frame poking me in my eyes. I couldn't even see to stop but could manage the curves okay until she reached around and lifted the goggles out of my face. What a first time experience that was!

Toddygirl, I had hoped to see you at the gathering, but it sounds like your reason for missing it was totally worth it! How did it go? Maybe you should give us a synopsis. Did you use the Bullet or "the other" bike? How did you happen onto this all female riding group?

My wife, Barbara and I had a fabulous ride on the Ural outfit on both legs of the trip from PA to Seattle. The cammerarderie of the group was as usual, like old friends continuing a conversation, fabulous! The humidity in Seattle was okay, but a bit much for me once the riding gear was donned. I think I lost four pounds of humidity while we were in the Triumph shop.

It's been quite awhile since I took a motorcycle on the ferry and it was nice to be first on/ first off.

We were so hot on the way home we needed something cold, so as soon as we got on the ferry I went to the galley for a couple of cold bottles of water. When I reached inside the case I discovered the cooling unit was broken and everything was being kept quite warm instead. The clerk just laughed, saying both coolers were hot. I guess it wasn't important to her?

My wife suggested a treat of "Italian sodas" from an espresso shack. Of course, none were open on the trip back. But...Baskin Robbins was, and we finally got to "chill"!

The only negative was my broken wrist. This was the longest I had ridden since breaking it in mid-July (while having fun, of course) and "it" didn't like the long term crimping on the throttle. Needless to say, neither did I.  :-[

All-in-all, a very good day. The weather was good, the turnout was more than anticipated and we even had a surprise appearance by Prof-stack/Norm. It was so good to see him and everyone else.

Perhaps the next gathering will collect even more participation. Whatever happened to the woman with the sidecar and the dog?

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1201 on: August 30, 2016, 04:15:48 am
Ed,

I did not realize you are a "newbie". I think you come across as a warm and friendly guy with lots of useful experience and knowledge. Golly, you can even weld stuff! And on a bike, as in life, one never stops learning.

My "vintage", iron barrel Bullet has its two tool boxes full. One has a bulked up tool roll, spare throttle and clutch cables and the other has spare bulbs, tape, zip ties, mechanics wire (for hot things), spare spark plugs, feeler gauge, a tire patch kit and somewhere, a spare tube (maybe that's in the tank bag...). A flashlight helps, too.

Ya' can't be all Steve McQueen, ya' gotta be a little MacGyver, too.

Welcome to the fold.

-Jesse
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1202 on: August 30, 2016, 05:07:12 am
I was wondering about the brace on your wrist Jesse.  My wrist wouldn't make the trip either without this:
http://throttlerocker.com/

I've been using these on long rides ever since I've been taking long rides.  Inexpensive, easy to put on and take off, easy to adjust. 

Toddygirl, wow!  Sounds like a big ride!  Hope it went well.

Scott

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1203 on: September 01, 2016, 06:03:55 pm
Scotty,

Yes, a "throttle rocker" was what I was wishing for on the trip back. :-\

I have used one before on a Guzzi I had but it left when the bike did. The new Guzzi has fat, heated grips and the gizmo won't fit. When the Ural came along I used it only for local, short duration break-in. The Saturday trip was the longest I've taken.

I'll trundle down and pick one up at the LBS today.

Thanks for your concern and the reminder!

-Jesse

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1204 on: September 01, 2016, 06:43:04 pm
There's also a similar product called the Cramp Buster.  It's a bit different but apparently they had the patent, because the original Throttle Rocker disappeared for some years and was replaced with the Velcro model.  Once the patent expried, the original TR came back.

I've tried both and I found the Cramp buster to be clunky, less comfortable, and harder to install/adjust.  Still, I mention it here because it's and alternative.  It's also very popular with the HD crowd so it comes in larger diameters for 1" bars that are standard on most cruisers.  Might be just the ticket for the Guzzi heated grips.  Most HD shops have them in stock and they make a few different models, so stop in to HD and see what you think.

Scotty,

Yes, a "throttle rocker" was what I was wishing for on the trip back. :-\

I have used one before on a Guzzi I had but it left when the bike did. The new Guzzi has fat, heated grips and the gizmo won't fit. When the Ural came along I used it only for local, short duration break-in. The Saturday trip was the longest I've taken.

I'll trundle down and pick one up at the LBS today.

Thanks for your concern and the reminder!

-Jesse

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1205 on: September 01, 2016, 07:16:09 pm
Scotty,

Thanks for the extra info on the throttle rocker. The one I used to have was a slip-on Cramp Buster (no velcro).

Here's a "P.S." that explains the broken wrist, sort of. I still don't know what actually broke the wrist.

In case you didn't see the picture on my phone Saturday. In mid-July, a buddy and I were exploring forest service roads and learning the characteristics of sidecar driving on loose surfaces, compared to his dual sport. I came upon a downhill right-hand turn with a decreasing radius and "reverse camber" on the gravel road and I used a "street" technique that, 'um, is a no-no on any bike on loose stuff. (And here I had learned the ropes over forty years ago riding dirt almost exclusively.)

Stay off the front brake in the loose stuff! I slid off into the ditch on the left side. All 1,040 loaded pounds of me and rig.

It took 30 minutes for the two of us to jack it up, dig out the sidecar with tire irons (me with an unknown broken wrist) and build a ramp for the sidecar wheel. Then I climbed aboard the skyward facing rig, started her up, and selected reverse gear. She popped right out of the ditch.

Thank goodness for riding buddies and helmet intercoms. He had seen me lose it in his rear view mirror as he went around another corner ahead of me. But, (and I haven't told the wife this, and won't!) once the rig came to a rest, sort of, it found the sidecar wheel was totally unsupported in the ditch. I bailed off to the right and the rig rolled after me. Lying on my side on the ground I stuck my leg up and propped it on the side of seat, luckily at the balance point. Yep. It was doing a rotisserie and I caught it before she rolled over onto me. In the intercom I said to my buddy, "Hey, you might want to hasten your return!" I don't panic easily.

Dented the corner of the sidecar (a "war wound" for touch-up), bent the left handlebar with my gut, tweaked the front end (we just loosened it all up and tweaked it back a few days later) and bent the sidecar fender (it was supporting 820#). The week before Nickerson's, my buddy and I straightend out the fender with excellent results. I haven't touched up the sidecar yet.

Ha! That was along "P.S."

The rest of the adventure was great and we drove to dinner after getting it out of the ditch. And, BTW, not a drop of gas was spilled from the tank or the jerry can!

Let's see if I can attach a picture or two...

Here's the point where we turned around as the trail was blocked by a landslide. (The "oops" happened on the way back.) And below that is where I euphemistically "stopped" after my buddy righted the rig.

-Jesse
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:01:29 pm by jest2dogs »

Gesewa

• Scooter
Reply #1206 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:12 pm
Just adding a picture of the 3 Enfield contingency that participated in the Seattle Distinguished Gentleman's Ride yesterday.  From Left to right, Damon's 65 interceptor, Narada's 13'(?) Chrome classic 500 and my 11' Classic Military.  Narada even won a prize for that shiny bike.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:44:39 pm by Gesewa »

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1207 on: September 27, 2016, 04:20:23 am
Super representation. Great looking bikes. And three fine gentlemen. ;)

How many entrants were there overall? What was the route?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:21:05 pm by jest2dogs »

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #1208 on: September 27, 2016, 03:13:21 pm
They said that there were 251 registered riders for the Seattle ride, not sure the actual number of people who showed but it was a lot!
 It was great fun seeing Gesewa and Narada. It was fun watching Narada accept his award with disbelieve, his bike is beautiful and it deservedly was awarded!
 The route started at the Elliot Bay Brewery on Lake City Way and wound its way through the neighborhoods to the Cretins MC Clubhouse off of 15th in Interbay.

Damon
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1209 on: September 27, 2016, 05:50:04 pm
Those bikes look gorgeous!  Not surprising to see that one got an award.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #1210 on: September 27, 2016, 06:33:10 pm
It was an awesome trio of Enfields! I really enjoyed riding with Gesawa and Damon with their cool bikes.  8) it took us a while to get together, but we were in loose formation all the way from Golden Gardens through Ballard on Market St. (the ride was quite a spectacle for passers by) to the clubhouse.

When I heard that one of us had won a prize, I thought it had to be either Gesawa's military (which are very popular) or Damon's Interceptor.  Then they said the red one, and I thought, O.K., Damon's Interceptor, finally I made them specify Chrome before I could believe it! :o :)

It was really a lot of fun!  Looking forward to next year!
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1211 on: December 24, 2016, 09:41:50 pm
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers
Bill

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #1212 on: March 01, 2017, 06:49:46 pm
One Ride 2017 coming up April 2nd. 

https://royalenfield.com/oneride/

Anyone feel like representing the brand? 8) 
I don't know what official plans there will be if any.  I registered on the site so we'll see. ???

I will be riding the Mad(ras) Missile somewhere that day. ::)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

bonnequixote

• Scooter
Reply #1213 on: March 26, 2017, 06:35:32 pm
Howdy!  My name is Bonne.  I've been lurking around these forums for the better part of a year now benefitting greatly from mechanical advice in my daunting effort to teach myself how to be more handy around vehicles with the '08 Bullet 500es as my primary tool. 

Many projects have been wonderfully successful thanks to your help from oil changes to ditching the sprag clutch however when it comes to replacing parts, I've only been able to do so much with local hardware stores and out-of-the-box jerry rigging.  I've been hoping to introduce myself and meet you fine folks in person not only to make some quirky new, mechanically-minded friends but inquire about how you go about getting parts!

Are there bike shops in the state that might stock hardware suitable to our niche rides?  Perhaps an online supplier based in North America?  Or even overseas stores that are widely trusted and won't break the bank?  Besides a morning routine browsing of eBay and Craigslist I haven't had the best luck!

I'd appreciate any leads here but I'm also eagerly awaiting one of the great meet ups you Washington Bulleteers put together to formally join this uniquely rewarding motorcycling family.

Cheers,
Bonne

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1214 on: March 27, 2017, 12:11:52 am
Hi Bonne

At the present time, your best bet is to go to Hitchcock's web site in England.

They carry almost everything you could want or need and they are a very reputable company which carries well made parts. 
The only fly in the ointment is the shipping costs from England to the US.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/news/22616/Additional_Online_Parts_Books

Poke the Parts Book button to find any parts you need.

You might want to copy and save that address.
Their parts books at that site are valuable not only to tell us about part numbers etc but their drawings in those parts books are valuable because they often show us the order or location for the various parts when we are trying to put things back together.

As you must know by now, when Kevin Mahoney was importing Royal Enfields and running Nfieldgear, most of the parts needed for all of the models he imported were readily available.
Now that they have sold that branch of the company to Royal Enfield Fort Worth, the parts are in limbo.  Hopefully they will be able to get things back in order so they will be available.

About 99% of the Royal Enfield parts you find on the web for the Royal Enfields are not factory parts.  They are copies, made in India.
Some are good.  Many are junk so keep this in mind before you order stuff from them.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:24:13 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary