Author Topic: Washington State Bullet owners?  (Read 337668 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 08:03:44 am
Okay, met a couple of RE riders today. They seem to be in for a group ride. Also, they mentioned to me that they had been asked to come to a seattle vintage bike meeting that happens every other week at Planet Georgetown. Wouldn't it be cool if all of us in the area could show up at this vintage bike meeting? I guess that Re is not represented at this meet up yet. It would be good to go as a group too because amongst the Cool Kids in the bike clubs here, Bullets are garbage. More to come. Don't know/remember the details right now....   

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 08:24:58 am
I would like to go to that.  Actually, someone told me about it awhile back.
Who are these "Cool Kids?"  What are they riding?
Don't they know that our bikes are the essence of cool?  Our bikes are industrial, working class bikes.  They are grunge bikes.  Kurt Cobain would be riding a Bullet.
Our bikes are cool because we don't need to say they're cool. 
Let's meet these "Cool Kids."  Are they old enough to buy us beer?  (PBR, but maybe Corona, too). 

I'm in.  Steve (in Puyallup)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 08:49:32 am
Steve, Lets go. The cool kid reference is referring to a friend of mine and the bike club he is affiliated with in Seattle. I don't want to say which one because they are not all like that I am sure but I have met a few and there is a fair amount of attitude. I just laugh at it. My friend has invited me to their meetings and group rides and although I may go sometime he has also mentioned that when he brought me and my ride up to them they took a VERY dim view of our bike. Fine with me. I didn't pick this because I wanted to belong to something. I picked this because I wanted a bike that reflected who I feel I am. I wanted a unique experience. I do not want to be in anyones club. However, I already am by default and it is the best one could want. The Royal Enfield Club!

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 04:15:10 pm
I'm ready,  what days do they meet?
A few years back, (a lotta years back), a few of my classmates in the Baltimore/DC area kept and worked on our bikes in the basement of a row house there.  I had a 67 Bonnie, there was a couple of Trumps, a couple BSA's, a Norton...we were kinda cool I guess.  Don't remember holding anyone in disdain though. 
Just keeping them running. 

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 10:33:36 pm
Okay, I got the info. Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts is a seattle club. I just got back from their website and they look absolutely AWESOME! I am so jazzed right now I can hardly stand it. Their meetings are the first Wednesday of every month, 7:00 p.m. Planet Georgetown a.k.a. uncle mo's. Says to get there early because parking will be tight. you do not have to be a member to attend and all are welcome. Sounds like the gathering can reach upwards of 300! riders on all manner of vintage and custom bikes. Looks like they have some great rides and other events too! HOLY SMOKES! I can't wait!   Planet Georgetown is at the corner of 15th and Albro just north of Boeing field. I am going to go to google maps and print up the non highway route from my house right now.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 10:36:40 pm
13th and Albro, not 15th.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: May 18, 2008, 06:28:57 am
Well crikey!! That sounds great,,,but for the time. 
I work on the Coho (Port Angeles) ferry, and our change day, (crew on/crew off), is,,,Wednesday.   However, I am going to pull some vacation time in July, so then I could go.  I think I'll PM you and get exchange phone #'s? 
In the meantime, I'll peruse their (VME) site. 

P.S.  If my posting seems a bit ,,erratic, it's because I'm on the ship now.  (Dial up connection, only goes as far as the wire, and all that!!)

Steve  (sometimes in Puyallup, sometimes in P.A.)

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #37 on: May 18, 2008, 04:43:04 pm
Yeah, sounds like fun!  I think it's the same group that years ago used to meet at Teddys on 65th in the Roosevelt area.

Eamon
Eamon

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 01:35:41 am
They have been around for something like 20 years so I bet it is the same group. They also have a south sound and north sound meeting on different days and different times.

prof_stack

Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 02:36:06 pm
The VME (Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts) is indeed the group that used to meet at Teddy's.  I used to go to their "meetings" when I had the Buell Blast thumper.  The new meeting place at Planet Georgetown (actually an old style tavern with a fancier name) is located right at the north fence for Boeing field so there are some good jet sightings.

Last time I went was last summer and there were MANY motorcycles, including many restored and shiny old Brit bikes.  No RE's there.  I have pix I could post later. 

The prez then was Barry (still might be) who used to sell HD's and rode a Blast and then an XB9S (just like me).  He was involved in a near fatal accident (lucky to live) on his XB9S and now rides an old thumper of some sort.  Barry was the one who told me that RE's are a POS.  We befriended before the accident and he sold me his custom seat from the XB9S before it was totaled. 

The VME hosts an "Isle of Vashon" event in the late summer.  Lots of old thumpers.

Personally I find that one visit per year is enough, in the summer, 'natch.  Great gathering of different biker types and bikes.  Otherwise, I'd rather just ride.

teckhardt

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 06:16:48 pm
I don't have a RE (yet) but I would like to meet up with some owners and see their rides.  Why not just a RE enthusiast meet rather than trying to piggyback something else?  Just an idea.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 02:05:08 am
I just talked to someone who the Pres of this group spoke to. Talked their ear off. Wanted some one with RE to go down because they didn't have any representation. If they indeed think our rides are "POS" we need to go down, on our bikes and show them that they are not. I know, and am a big enough person to admit, my bike is not the pinnacle of quality. Yes I can nit pick other bikes but in reality mine is nowhere close to many bikes. It is alright. from a few feet away no one can tell the difference. It is the reliability thing that gets me. Lets all ride down together, hang out for a bit, and then leave. Following kickstart routine religiously, of course. I imagine hanging out there with them, and each other, is going to be big fun.
                                                                                          Cheers!
                                                                                                       Jon
P.s I am going to take lots of pictures and post them in the interesting rides section

ranger800

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 05:46:21 am
hey i'm in the seattle area! edmonds to be exact

my name's mike and i bought a bullet 350 off of ebay a couple weeks ago
after taking a trip to vince's i got her running.
i was so freaking excited that i rode her around my little neighborhood, without a plate, working headlight, or rear lights. :)
it was a lot of fun

anyway, i would like to meet some local guys
i could really use some tech help...
(especially after i got a link to a $39 dollar manual on the yahoo groups  :-\)

RYAN in edmonds.

teckhardt

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 06:19:31 pm
hey i'm in the seattle area! edmonds to be exact
RYAN in edmonds.

I am in Edmonds too (soon to be annexed by Mukilteo).

Juggernaut

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:45 pm
Righteous.

With the 2 of you in Edmonds, I can ride to Kingston and catch the boat over. Aurora all the way down to south Seattle would be a good ride down to that VME meeting I think. Or correct me if I'm wrong. ??? But like I told Jon earlier, I won't be able to make it until July because work takes me away for the 1st 2 weeks of June.
Doesn't stop me from coming over to your side on other weekends though. :D

Maybe we could piece together some meet ups?
Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.