Author Topic: I saw this one recently  (Read 1732 times)

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 26, 2022, 09:20:20 pm
If anyone is in the market, I saw this one on the local Craigslist, asking $1200

https://rubywantads.com/listing/2000-royal-enfield-bullet-500/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 09:22:26 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:31:15 pm
If anyone is in the market, I saw this one on the local Craigslist, asking $1200

https://rubywantads.com/listing/2000-royal-enfield-bullet-500/

I gotta say that's about the most honest and forthright description of a bike by a seller I've ever seen. Not a bad looking bike either. Sounds to me like it may just have a mild case of lefty swap slop.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 09:16:47 am
Can't see the advert - gives me Forbidden - This is a local website. Visitors from your area are not permitted to browse this site.
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 12:59:22 pm
I get the same message- but seeing as the bike is priced in $ rather than £ it won't be local to me!
Paul W.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 02:10:23 pm
Can't see the advert - gives me Forbidden - This is a local website. Visitors from your area are not permitted to browse this site.

Clearly they want to keep out the riff-raff, but here's a fair rendering:

February 11, 2022 3:55 pm  Elko, Nevada
Popular
$1,200
This is a very cool, fun motorcycle to ride but please note:
Cons-
– It has a top speed of ~60MPH. It was not built for speed.
– It does not shift smoothly. The gearbox is fine but I find myself missing a downshift now and then, and
occasionally having to hunt for neutral.
– Needs new tires. They are cracking on the sidewalls. Rear tire holds pressure, front tire goes flat in about two
weeks.
– Parts are impossible to find locally. Online availability is good.

Pros-
– I have the engine very well tuned. Points, carb, timing, etc. That said, you should expect to do a good deal of
maintenance on a bike like this, depending on how much you run it. I’ll give you a TDC finder tool to help with
timing should you need to adjust. When I first bought it the bike would pop on deceleration but I worked that
out. The points are newish (about 30mi on them maybe). I put a KNN air filter on it which upset the air/fuel
mix but I was able to adjust the carb needle to compensate. Oil/filter are fresh. Battery is about 6mo old.

This bike is all cool factor. I would not recommend it as a daily driver. Although you could if you’re mechanically inclined, and it’s never left me stranded.

Clean title on hand.

That’s about it. Call me with any questions. [telephone number redacted here, but feel free to PM me if you're planning a North American Desert road trip. And you Brits might feel right at home, since riders thereabouts clearly prefer the left lane too]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 02:27:39 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 02:46:53 pm
. . .  gotta say that's about the most honest and forthright description of a bike by a seller I've ever seen . . .

Thank you Bilgemaster. Agree, that is a refreshingly candid description.
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 06:23:23 pm
Compared with current UK prices for half-decent iron barrel Indian Bullets, that's a pretty good deal. A right-foot shift conversion (ideally a 5-speed right foot shift conversion) would make it a happy bike to live with.

The present owner seems allergic to toolboxes for some reason.  ???

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 04:04:00 am
I inquired of the owner on this one a couple days back. He had lost the title, and was awaiting replacement via US Post, and he had another would-be buyer ahead of me. If we arrived at a deal, I would have purchased for a spare, essentially, or something upon which to render out a different vision than my current dirtbike Bullet (or maybe a more extreme version of it?).

parashootist

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 05:53:58 pm
I purchased this bike  :) The seller was absurdly honest. In a time where most people just want to email/text, we chatted on the phone and he continued the brutally honest report of the bike. It was like he was negotiating with himself. Ultimately he talked himself WAY down (I'd share the number but people may hate me for it haha) from the $1200 asking price due to him recently taking the bike out and it backfiring a bit. I agreed and picked up the bike the next day.

I was most concerned with his description of the transmission but I think his description was based on a couple factors 1) I believe this was his first and only motorcycle 2) He had never owned a Ural. It's definitely just the 4 speed left side slop. Deliberate/full shifts result in gear changes up or down without issue. The gearbox is definitely fine. I figured I'd swap it to right side shift but honestly, I don't find it that bad. I lowered the lever a notch on the splines and the throw of the lever while lone, is acceptable.

I started a thread here:
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=32865.0

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 06:39:48 pm
Glad someone here got that bike. I hope it's a good one for you.

parashootist

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 07:01:28 pm
Glad someone here got that bike. I hope it's a good one for you.

Thanks! So far it seems like it won't need much to be a good bike. I'm just playing the waiting game for parts.