Author Topic: Bullet #500 Oilways.  (Read 1406 times)

Reelmaster

• Scooter
on: July 08, 2010, 04:54:15 am
Hi Guy's, I'm lead to believe that Enfield Racers in New Zealand drill out all the Oilway Passages that they have access to in the Engine, the advice is to drill the oilways out by a 32 seconds  over the original size, has anybody had any experience with this style of Modification????? Any Tips on improving the Oiling System would be greatly appreciated.
I have considered replacing the Oil Pump Springs with the adjustable threaded End Cover Conversions where you screw the bolt in till it is tight up against the Pump & then back it off 1/4 turn which is approx 0.005"clearance of the Pump from the Housing I believe our mate Westie has had good resultswith this conversion & does not eat the Oil Pump Drive Shaft.as was the problem with the heavier Springs.

Best Regards  Jack.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:29:49 am
Wouldn't surprise me if racers opened up the oil ways a bit.

Seems logical to me. The larger oil ways would (a) allow normal pressure at hi rpm and (b) higher flow for better cooling.

AceCafe and 72Westie would know.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:49:35 pm
When using hi-output oil pumps, it's okay to very slightly polish-out the oilways, and make sure they are relatively smooth inside, and ensure that they align well at any locations where cases and covers meet, and oilway holes join.

The later model Bullets have less-stiff pump springs, and they can be substituted for the earlier stiffer ones. I haven't used the screw-in type, and I'm  not fully convinced about that whole concept of the screw-in type pump adjustment.
When using a roller bearing big-end, the main cause of pump drive stress from over-pressure is greatly reduced, and I think that pretty much solves the spindle issues, unless the pump discs are binding in the housings.

While the oil does play some role in cooling, the engine is much more dependent on the air cooling over the fins and castings for its cooling.
The alloy barrel is a great aid for improving cooling.

Home of the Fireball 535 !