Author Topic: What's that CLACK when she turns over but wont start?  (Read 12398 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 01:47:38 pm
Thanks Ace. Fixing rather than removal is my plan - it's there for a reason after all. Hopefully I can reproduce the symptom when I take it in - although sod's law generally predicts otherwise.... ::)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 02:39:42 pm
Pure novice here but, Perhaps your battery is low and the starter is not quite spinning things fast enough to disengage the Auto-decomp.  I say maybe.   My bike did this once or twice when I first got it but has not done it in over a thousand miles now.  I wish you luck.  I prefer not to take things out of an engine that were put there for a reason.

Good luck friend.

Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 02:52:34 pm
Thanks Sam. No the battery's fine. It spins like a good'n. I do a lot of miles so it's well charged. This is definitely a fault, albeit intermittent, but getting more frequent. I shant be taking anything out - just getting it fixed. It's a warranty issue.

Just to be 100% certain, I'll put it on charge and see how we go....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 02:58:20 pm
Pure novice here but, Perhaps your battery is low and the starter is not quite spinning things fast enough to disengage the Auto-decomp.  I say maybe.   My bike did this once or twice when I first got it but has not done it in over a thousand miles now.  I wish you luck.  I prefer not to take things out of an engine that were put there for a reason.

Good luck friend.

Sam

Thats good common sence.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 03:17:11 pm
Battery is showing as fully charged on my tester.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 03:26:53 pm
Next stop, the dealership!!! 
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 03:38:18 pm
Alas yes -  hopefully during a rainy week.... ;)

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 06:53:24 pm
I think its the sprag clutch on its way out but get the decomp sorted first as thats the reason why the sprag is getting strained due to backfire.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 09:08:25 pm
Battery is showing as fully charged on my tester.

Just a thought but have you made sure all the connections from battery to starter motor are good and tight?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 09:25:29 pm
Yes I checked everything over today when I tested the battery, it's all good and tight. I've been out a couple of times today, and started the bike a few tiimes with no problems. I'll give it a day or two before booking it in for diagnosis/repair.
How's your's behaving Clubman? Also, how much engine noise do you have? I sometimes think my bike is a sight noisier now than when it was new. (I do mean the engine and not the pipe!)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 09:53:45 pm
Starting on mine's been fine for the last couple of weeks. I took it in for a service on Friday gone and went through all this with the dealer. He confirmed it's definitely the auto decompressor. Of course we only get the clack if it fails to catch and all things being equal they should fire up first time. So the real question is why isn't that happening? Have you tried changing the plug? The dealer also questioned battery health but like you my Optimate indicated the condition to be excellent. However that was all a few weeks back and the problem has gone for now. I'm still not confident it's gone for good though, especially hearing of your experience.

Engine noise. It varies. Do you wear ear plugs? I do and it changes a lot depending on how deep I plug them. Nice and deep is best cos you only hear the boom and all the rattles go. So on another day I'm convinced it's falling apart until I open it up and once it goes as fast as it ever does I relax. Chain tension also makes a difference. There are so many variables I can't really answer your question except to say it's definitely no quieter. I know received wisdom is the tappet noise goes as the adjusters bed in but that's not the case with mine so far.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 11:00:43 pm
Haven't changed the plug but I've had it out and cleaned it up a couple of times. Perhaps I'll change it and see how it goes. As you say, if it fires up straight away, and it usually does, there's no problem. The ferry incident was disconcerting however, and I'm wary of switching off now when I'm out and about.
As to engine noise, it does vary but I'd say it's noisier when warmed up. I usually put it down to how much I'm focussing on it, but I generally notice it because I notice it, not because I was listening for it. I'm also aware that for the first weeks I was fully focused on staying on the bike and noise wasn't registering much. But as you say, it runs fine so it's probably ok. I'm thinking earplugs are a very good idea. First long trip with the new pipe the other day I stopped on the way to buy some in fact. The helmet helps of course, but I suspect the noise level is above what's desirable.
So is your dealer going to replace the auto decompressor - or is it wait and see ?

siddharthmenon

• BuddhaSource
  • Scooter
  • BuddhaSource
Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 08:46:34 am
Hi,

I am from India and I have exactly same problem with my C500 when it reached 4000km. Its the gear crunching sound which is so loud that you rather try kick start. It almost stopped my heart !! Phew :P

Anyways for me it started when monsoon began, and once the engine warms up its difficult to replicate the problem. Lucky I live very close a RE service station, one day I called one of the guy and he tried to start it, and wohla he heard that too.

According to him its something to do with bearing, which may be the cause of gear slippage or something, I am waiting for new set of bearing and will get it replaced and give you guys the feedback.

Also not sure if my other problem is related but I also have little problem with engine start, both started around same time. Engine may start in one Kick but sometimes it shuts down and if it does then its difficult to start again. I use to start my engine in 1 kick or 1button self start before with no shutdowns ever. The RE guy was saying its all related as the bearing make it difficult or something. May be he is clueless, i am yet to find out :)

Hopefully I ll ask them to hook the ECU to laptop and check.
Why do you feel shy to act stupid ?

Twitter : @BuddhaSource

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 09:56:28 am
He surely can't mean THE bearing can he - I think we'd surely be hearing it more than just on start-up it it were that!   ???
Sorry to hear you're having problems too. In my bike's case I'm convinced it's the auto decompressor - plenty of evidence and expertise in this thread points that way.
Let us know how things turn out at your end.

siddharthmenon

• BuddhaSource
  • Scooter
  • BuddhaSource
Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 06:56:08 am
He surely can't mean THE bearing can he - I think we'd surely be hearing it more than just on start-up it it were that!   ???

Exactly even I feel so, the sound doesn't even come close to bearing noise. Its really loud gear slip or something. Well good I found about this thread, I will try to convince him.

BTW if its auto decomp what should I ask him to look for ?
Why do you feel shy to act stupid ?

Twitter : @BuddhaSource