Author Topic: C5 Seat Angle  (Read 4533 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
on: July 06, 2010, 04:16:52 am
Is there a way to angle the seat more forward? Stronger springs perhaps? I feel a little like I'm being pulled backwards because of the seat angle.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:43:16 pm
You may need stiffer or longer seat springs.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:05:28 pm
Does nfield sell these? Best place to get? Any idea of the stock springs specs?

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:12:29 am
I have a request..can someone measure from eye to eye how long the oem C5 seat springs are? I am considering installing a set of these..

I dont have my bike yet, but I know I'm going to want to address the seat angle. These would look kind of neat and would allow me to adjust the height easily. They are 4" eye to eye

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:21:20 am
They are approximately 4 1/4 inches, but there is no eye on top, they bolt flat to the seat on a stud sticking straight down from the seat pan. You'd need to make a bracket to bolt to the seat to use those, shouldn't be too hard to do.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:08:01 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:19:59 am
Thanks R80rt.. Looks like all of these springs are 4" bolt center to bolt center. It looks like I'd be easy to make up that 1/2" and maybe even add a 1/4" or so more to the mounting beneath the seat.

Does anyone know about these seat suspensions.. any words to the wise? I see that they are tuned for different weight riders.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:50:58 am
Could you go with longer springs?  Here is a set on ebay at 5 inches long...

Ebay item number 360263578253

Any other Enfields in New England?

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 04:45:35 am
Our springs look to have quite a different mounting schema than those are expecting.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 05:28:21 am
Try Dennis Kirk, J&p cycles,or V-twin manufacturing for longer springs, all on the web.
I would wait until you get your bike, take off the seat and have a look.. There's not much pivot area in the front, and longer springs MAY make this pretty large and bulky seat unstable. I probably wouldn't go too high,maybe an inch?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 05:42:47 am
I was thinking of doing those groovy shocks and then for the top mount that I'd have to fab anyway, add a 1/2" or so in height from stock. I think I will wait till I get the bike though.. maybe I'll get used to that "falling off the back" feeling. :)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 05:54:57 am
I was thinking of doing those groovy shocks and then for the top mount that I'd have to fab anyway, add a 1/2" or so in height from stock. I think I will wait till I get the bike though.. maybe I'll get used to that "falling off the back" feeling. :)
Yea,probably better then that sliding forward feeling,if you know what I mean :'(, in a quick stop.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:42:07 am
... in a quick stop.

The Bullet is capable of one?! :)

kiamarider

• Amazin
  • Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:02:54 am
well the C5 back brake is akin to putting your shoe on the ground but the front disk is much better than the old drum. But then you could be right  !!!!! 8)

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 08:03:59 pm
Yah, the first time you hit that rear brake is an eye opener  :o

I agree with you that the seat leaves you with a feeling that you are, our could slip off of the back. I was going to Armor-all mine but thought the better of it.  It does come to mind when you accelerate from a stop.  Sort of annoying.  Vintage seats had more of a scoop on them cupping the butt cheeks a bit more.   I have been looking at reproduction old school spring solo seats and will be picking one out for fit soon.  I am still waiting for the sidecar to come in, (they tell me Monday)  and as of this moment in time  between buying the Bike and Sidecar I have spent all of the discretionary funds I have available.

I don't know what you want to spend, but by the time you finish buying and fabricating parts, you might find that purchasing a seat is a better option.  The Classic Comfort Solo Seat here in the NField catalog looks pretty close.
Any other Enfields in New England?