Author Topic: Hello, New C5 on the Road  (Read 4397 times)

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
on: July 05, 2010, 06:19:47 pm
Hello All.
Last Friday I took delivery of a new Bullet Classic C5, in Black/White.  Here are my  observations.

Definitely a very cool bike.  I love the quick nimble handling on back roads. The short frame and Rake with the torque really take me back to my Triumph/Norton days.  I am also in the process of ordering the Cozy for it.  Hope to have it in by this next weekend coming for a fitment.

About me, I have been riding for 'bout 35 years. Have owned a ton of different Marks. Have  restored bikes and cars. Love Vintage anything, currently restoring a ’68 Chevy C20. This past week I sold my Harley Road King Police and did not want to be without a bike.  So I was looking for a Vintage Triumph, I had one with a sidecar back in the early 80's.  While I was searching eBay and Craig’s list for a project I stumbled across an Enfield for sale.  Did not realize they were still available.  Did a bit more research, found this website, the Enfield site and then and found out there was a dealer a half hour away from me!  With the improvements made to the Bullet in the last couple of years I decided that one needed to have my name on it.  Looking forward to logging some hours on it.

IMHO it is actually more fun to ride than the Road King.  A lot more Nimble.  It also does not drag as often around reasonable corners. ;D   I think the HP to weight ratio is a bit higher on the Bullet as well.  The Road King is a cruiser, but the Enfield is a Rider!  You ride on a Road King, you ride with the Bullet!

I did not feel as some have, that I need to mess with the gearing.  I have changed out sprockets in the past as I only ride solo, period.  But when the Bullet slid up into 5th gear on my local roads I did not feel the need to shift again.  I lugged it down on corners and hills and it picked right up without having to shift it.

One downside is that there is no Trip Odometer on it.  I am customary to use it to mark fuel consumption and know how much fuel is left.  I guess I can get used to the fuel light.  Would like to have a Voltmeter as well, but I can work that in somewhere.

The Rear Drum Brake is a bit of an eye opener the first time you apply it.  I adjusted it up a bit, but the Front Disc is very quick and 70 percent of your stopping power is in the front wheel anyway.

The quality of assembly looks very good.  Hardware is proper, the castings fit together well. The paint is nice and consistent. The Decals used in the Badges are sealed under a layer or two of clear coat.   The finish of the Transmission Cover and Primary Cover needed a bit of elbow grease and I had to use a Cratex to work out some of the casting marks in them so they would polish up proper.  I had to remind myself it is not a Chrome Plated  Stamped Steel part but true Old School Cast Aluminum.  There are not however any pores in the castings so they polish up very well.

The chrome on the Wheels and pieces of trim is a bit industrial looking, not show quality, but it fits the oval look of the machine.

I have also not experienced the "False Neutral" phenomenon nor has it slipped out of gear on me.  Perhaps my years of running some pretty loose gear trains cause me to be deliberate in my shifting.

I do find the engine noise in the Valve train to be a bit disconcerting. It only has 700 miles on it now, so I know it needs to break in a bit, but I am planning to check the valve clearance as soon as I can (probably before I run it again) to at least benchmark it.  It sort of sounds like an overhead cam timing chain slap. But only when it is cold. When it warms up it goes away.

I think this bike would be a great candidate for a Belt Drive conversion kit, both primary and secondary. It would benifit greatly from the higher efficiency of the belts. I estimate the  Rear Wheel HP would increase by about 10 percent. And would reduce the Maintenance even more.

One question I have from other C5 owners.  On the Handlebars, throttle side, are the switches for the Headlight/Parking Lights.  They do not do anything?  They are marked    headlight/parking, but the Headlights and Parking lights come on with the ignition. So I thought perhaps they were for when you were parked, but the ignition does not have an  "accessory" position, just on and off.  Anyone else see this or do I have a minor wiring issue to solve?

Also wondering if I received the correct owners manual.  Mine is for the Bullet EFI. on the 2nd page it indicates part number 597444 Dec/'08.  Is there an owners manual for the C5 or is this it?

All in all a fine Motorbike.  It gets lots of attention and is a very fair price.  I am hoping the network of spare parts is adequate, based on this website it looks pretty good.

Happy Riding and light winds!
Any other Enfields in New England?

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:47:06 pm
Welcome to the forum! From a HD Road King to a RE Bullet, now that's a big change, a - 400 pound change ;D

The light switch has been bypassed from the factory to keep the headlight on as per the law. There is, I believe, a jumper behind the headlight that can be removed to make the light switch work, I haven't done it on my bike.

I'm not sure on the owner's manual. I do know the manuals are not the best.

Goodluck with your C5!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:13:31 am by Chris-G5 »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:17:51 pm
Yep, remove the jumper and the light switches work as they should. The ticking you hear may be the automatic compression release. The motor will get a lot quieter with a few more miles. On / Off no accessory no probem. Welcome to the forum, you'll love your C5.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:37:35 pm
There is, I believe, a jumper behind the headlight that can be removed to make the light switch work, I haven't done it on my bike.

That's something good to know, especially for people who swap to a smaller battery and maybe hide it in the tool box.  It's nice to be able to kill the lights and just have the motor and starter drawing power if you're ever having trouble getting it started.  There was a nice gizmo that used to kill the light until you were started but I don't think it's available any more.

Welcome to the forum!

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:05:03 am
Hello All.
Last Friday I took delivery of a new Bullet Classic C5, in Black/White.  Here are my  observations.   Definitely a very cool bike.  I love the quick nimble handling on back roads. IMHO it is actually more fun to ride than the Road King.  You ride on a Road King, you ride with the Bullet!

One downside is that there is no Trip Odometer on it.  I am customary to use it to mark fuel consumption and know how much fuel is left.  

I think this bike would be a great candidate for a Belt Drive conversion kit, both primary and secondary. It would benifit greatly from the higher efficiency of the belts. I estimate the  Rear Wheel HP would increase by about 10 percent. And would reduce the Maintenance even more.

One question I have from other C5 owners. On the Handlebars, throttle side, are the switches for the Headlight/Parking Lights.  They do not do anything?

Also wondering if I received the correct owners manual. Mine is for the Bullet EFI. on the 2nd page it indicates part number 597444 Dec/'08.  Is there an owners manual for the C5 or is this it?

Happy Riding and light winds!

Welcome qgolden:

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the REal thing, C5.  It is unbeatable for fun rides on country back roads for its nimble and balanced ride !

They don't have trip meter  :(, that is just its way of keeping you alert and pay attention to the speedometer  ;D

One of the features of RE is that it wants attention, and thus makes a relationship with rider pretty fast.  The belt drive may require less maintenance, but it will take away the fun of lubing the chain and wiping off the oil droplets from the rear wheel rim and chassis   ;D

The throttle side switches for parking/headlight have been Disabled by the manufacturer due to some road regulations.  Most riders have accepted that set up.  However there is a way to override as Chris-G5 and r80rt have pointed out by removing the jumper wire behind the headlight.  You will need to take off the headlight to access the wiring.

Your Owners Manual, part no 597444 - Dec 08 on page 2, is correct.

I would recommend 'Service Manual' part number 597451 May 09. It is not on the website catalog. You will have to call CMW because the new Nfieldgear Catalog (Print version) lists it as 2-book combination, part Z90001, that includes Service Manual and Parts Catalog.   It has a lot more details on maintenance of C5 and G5 with hundreds of pictures, torque specifications, trouble shooting and everything you want to know about engine.  

The rockers / valves do make noise on all RE bikes. But you mentioned something about 'when engine is cold'.  Is it engine knock ?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:33:46 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 03:50:49 am
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Ducati Scotty,
Thanks for the reminder about the bike warrants attention.  I well remember a Triumph T-Shirt that I had decades ago. Below the Union Jack it read,  Triumph Motorcycles, turning ordinary men into mechanics! 

I bought a new Harley back in '82 and in the first year it was in the shop at least 6 times, considering that I had spent 10 grand for it in '82 that was more than I could bear.  I did not get back into another Harley (with the exception of a '45 flathead I restored) until they came out with the Twin Cam 88. The TC88 is an excellent motor.  Running that model since 2003 I never so much as picked up a wrench other then Oil Changes. Long story short I got spoiled.  Forgot what it was like to put knuckle blood and sweat into a Bike.

Thanks for clarifying the Owners Manual, and the recommendation on the service manual,  I will order one this week. 

Now, regarding your comment on the Rockers/Valves making noise.  You asked me if it was Engine Knock. “ Whatcha' talkin' 'bout Willis?!! “  Are you referring to pre-detonation, sometimes (confused as Timing Ping) or Engine knock, as in Crankshaft Bearing or Piston Slap?  I sure as hell hope that I would not even need to consider a bearing or Piston issue at this stage of the game :o !.

Thank you all for the tip in the jumper in the Headlight to get the switch working.  I hate having a switch that does not do anything,  I'll be pulling the headlight tomorrow.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:00:34 am
The switches which don't work are your government protecting you from yourself. As you get some miles on your bike they do get quieter. First off the hydraulic valve lifters have such close tolerances that it takes a while for them to operate in their "sweet spot". The other and sometimes disconcerting noise can come from the auto decompressor. It is a fly weight on the exhaust cam that moves in or out depending upon the rpm;s of the engine. At low RPM's it can click and clack rather loudly. It is harmless but can make one nervous if you don't understand what it is.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 04:09:32 am
Thanks for the writeup and welcome to the gang. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.. another week or two. Have a look at the nfield site for accessories, but the dealer's accessory book seems to have more selection (as noted already).

Show us a pic!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:11:59 am
No matter where you go, there, you are.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:15 pm
Hey Ice!

Thanks for the links, Did the procedure,  Switch now works.  I noticed the Headlight runs off of the Battery and not the Alternator, so the engine does not need to be on (ignition does)  to turn on the lights.   Good Feature.

When I pulled the headlight I noticed a single Grey Wire with a plug on the end hanging loose,  (also found 3 extra tie wraps in there  ;D) anyone know what option the Gray wire  is for?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 02:46:18 pm
I noticed the Headlight runs off of the Battery and not the Alternator, so the engine does not need to be on (ignition does)  to turn on the lights.   Good Feature.

Remember to turn it off when you park so the battery doesn't go dead.  On a fuel injected bike you need at least some battery power to run the fuel pump and pressurize the line.  If the battery is totally dead you can't even push start it.

Of course you can always look on that as part of the vintage British bike experience.  :D

Scott

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:07 pm
That's the beauty of the G5 over the C5. Use the kick start. I have just had to fit a new battery,there was not enough power to turn starter motor, but enough to kick start.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 10:54:36 pm
The lights go out when the ingition key is switched off so the battery should be ok. Thanks for the reminder though.  But you are right. Dead Battery means no start.  I wonder how much voltage (amperage) the fuel pump actually needs to pressurize. 

Any thougts on the "extra" Gray Wire in behind the headlight?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 11:19:26 pm
The lights go out when the ingition key is switched off so the battery should be ok. Dead Battery means no start.  I wonder how much voltage (amperage) the fuel pump actually needs to pressurize.  

Quinn:

The fuel pump operating voltage is 6 - 14.5 volts, but for fuel injector it is 10 - 14 volts. 

singhg5
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 03:19:14 am
Thank you sir!