Author Topic: New Years Day Ride  (Read 2735 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: January 02, 2008, 08:49:32 pm
Went on a dual Bullet ride with another local RE owner on New Year's Day. Temps in the low 40's. Beautiful backroads scenery in the foothills of the Shennandoah.

My riding partner was on his '03 or '04 Classic.

Here's the fun part for us Electra owners: I never got out of fourth gear.
I finally have a fast bike again!

(OK Classic owners, don't hate me because I'm beautiful).  ;)

Managed to scrape the right side (foot brake pedal) for the first ime on an unfamiliar turn. Previously, had only been able to scrape it on one very familiar turn. Scraped the left many times. Whoop!

At 3200 miles, my Electra is coming up on its next maintenance. However, it was running good and strong. It was pulling hard up the hills - like a locomotive, thundering exhaust to the rear!

Remember: if you want to ride a fast bike again, ride with a Classic or two   ;D

Matt

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:26:22 pm
Matt,

Strange thing was that he never got out of fourth gear either. OK, just because he only has four speeds............................................  ::)

Glad you had fun anyway.  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:25:49 am
I like scraping the pegs too, but when I went for a Christmas eve ride, I came accross a common situation here in NW Florida. We have this pure white quartz sand we call sugar sand. Slick as ice, and a thin layer is almost impossible to see. Wind blows it all over. Almost put the bike down on a corner. That made my heart beat a bit faster. It also slowed me down on the corners.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:29:37 am
We have something similar, in Indiana in the winter - they put fine gravel onto the side roads instead of salt, so the roads are incapable of supporting a leaning 2 wheel bike - I have slid over a couple of time, fortunately not going any speed, but not much lean either - it is a slick as the ice it is supposed to get rid of. Can't ride just now - got 6 inches of snow and packed ice..  :(
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA