Author Topic: Bullet Turn Signals and Taillight Review  (Read 7132 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: December 27, 2007, 07:02:39 pm
Has anyone purchased these turn signals or brake light for an Electra X from our host?

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/bullet-turn-signals-p-279.html

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/classic-britishstyle-taillight-p-277.html

If so, how did they work out for you, and do you have any photos?

Thanks,
Matt

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:12:53 am
I've looked at them and thought   Hmmm something for a rainy day in the meantime it goes in the tool box..  to be removed and held to the side of the fender..  an

D while staring at my naked enfield EaRLiEr a FeW mInUtEs aGo..  took the seat off  :P  whoooO.. begging for the solo saddle and then however

but mAn what a cHuNk Of meTal to support the fender :o

thinking of buying a raw unit here and cutting it up and and make the rib down the middle functional enough  to actually use.. for saddle bags.. but that's a different idea ND I type slow.. 

Adrian

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:03:16 am
Thumper's other thread covers this point. The best solution for an Electra rear fender mount I have seen is on the UK model Electra-T, the subframes are available seperately in the UK, but our Host doesn't sell them here! The nearest I have found on this site is this, not an Electra part but it might be adapted to fit, if you don't carry a passenger.

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/royal-enfield-motorcycle-luggage-carrier-rear-mudguard-trials-p-127.html

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:45:59 pm
Thumper -

I purchased bullet turn indicators and a beehive tailight for my Classic.  Install was easy for the front signals.  Decided to keep the stock tailight/turn indicators for the rear - I want as much light as possible blasting back there to help show the up-my-behind, cell-phone talking four wheelers what I intend to do... the good part is I was able to return the unused stuff with no problem... THANKS CMW!

Don't recall where I saw it, but someone mounted a vintage-looking Lucas turn/stop unit on their Bullet - really looked great and was close to DOT specs.  Brit Bikes (and others) sell high-output LED panels for Lucas units and are supposed to be very bright...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:36:16 pm
Think I found the type of tailight assembly I saw - here's where I found it:
http://www.newbonneville.com/html/lucas_style_tail_light.html
Total cost for tail/turn signals about $60.00. 

I think these would look fine on Stumpy's behind...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan

[old attachment deleted by admin]
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 09:17:57 pm
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably give the 'Classic British Style' tail light and the turn signals a try.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:04:25 pm
I must be stupid. I cannot see how the wiring is supposed to hook up on the front bullet turn lights that come with the vintage kit. I guess the back signals would be the same but I haven't got that far yet.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 12:34:02 am
I really like this setup from cmw..Of course its my bike...

[old attachment deleted by admin]
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 01:36:31 pm
  Do you mean that the classic light has just one wire whereas the stock light has two?  If that is the case then take the ground wire from the bike and ground it to the inside housing of the classic light.
  Does that make sense?  It's kinda hard to explain.  :P  Let me know if you need a photo.

I must be stupid. I cannot see how the wiring is supposed to hook up on the front bullet turn lights that come with the vintage kit. I guess the back signals would be the same but I haven't got that far yet.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 04:55:36 pm

The hot wire from the new bullet light goes into the hot wire from the old TS.

The new bullet light is grounded by its housing. Securing it to the frame will ground it fine as long as you get through paint to bare metal.

Matt

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:05:50 am
Hey, thanks for that post. I thought as much but am trying to be extra careful with my Bullet compared to my old rides.
     I appreciate EVERYONES help and advice with my bike. Bulleteers!
or should it be Bulletheads?.....

tim

• Neophyte
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 08:25:16 pm
Is it practicable to reduce the length of the arms on the standard indicator units? This would give a more 'tucked-in' /compact appearance whilst keeping the safety of the big lens-area. Any ideas guys?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:24:37 pm
Is it practicable to reduce the length of the arms on the standard indicator units? This would give a more 'tucked-in' /compact appearance whilst keeping the safety of the big lens-area. Any ideas guys?

I looked at this when I found a dearth of choices to fit an Electra X. I've shortened (or eliminated) the OEM stalks on old 70's Hondas and Yamahas, but could not find a simple way to do it with the OEM Bullet turn signals. The plastic stalk is molded to fit around the metal fittings. The nearest method that I could see was to eliminate the stalks altogether and then utilize the two screws that hold the stalk onto the turn signals. That would require drilling two holes for each T/S. Even then, it didn't look like a flush fit between the T/S and the mounting area.

Matt

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 07:07:23 am
man, I am an idiot. Just posted a question that you all answered a long time ago.
   I would like to add though. If you are adding a carrier and losing the stock tailight assembly, the way to go is the trials style number plate/ stop light. It has the turn signal brackets built in. Need I say more?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 08:07:23 pm
Thumper,
Your bike is beggging for bar-end mirrors. IMHO of course. :)