Author Topic: Ammeter  (Read 5152 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
on: July 02, 2010, 06:05:06 am
Has anyone fitted one to a c5? I see the oem ones with the new style are pretty inexpensive on the 'bay. Is there a sexy way to mount it... Maybe to a bolt or the handlebar?

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:38:33 am
An ammeter is an awkward retro fit because you have to arrange for all battery current draw to go through it. This would involve breaking into the the battery feed line and running wires all the way up to the front end of the bike and back. This is just going to add unwanted voltage drops and possible unreliability.

A voltmeter is a better bet since it can be connected between ground and any existing 12V line. The voltmeter will confirm charging status with engine running and battery condition with engine off. Our hosts sell a neat little led unit:

http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/aftermarket-parts-accessories/electrical/led-battery-gauge
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:34:17 pm
Chasfield - You are quick on the draw! Hahaha! You beat me to it ..... good job!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:24:48 pm
Hi Hi, It would be nice to develop a single three colour led voltage indicator where the led could be incorporated into unit containing the MIL and low fuel indicators.

Shappers.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 02:46:17 pm
Well - IF a fellow wanted to do a little engineering ....... the OEM ammeter COULD be used - and there is enough room on either side of the nacelle for a yellow fuel level light and and a red MIL light ...... OR - a fellow could use a Smiths voltmeter in the hole ......

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:33:09 pm
Ok, I feel dumb now. To add insult to injury, in my haste, I placed an ebay bid on one. What to do! Do they make voltmeters that looks the same as the new gauges on the c5 EFI?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 05:38:24 pm
I think that you can get one close ..... but you were gonna put the Chronometric-alike speedo in it anyway, weren't you?  ;)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:48:17 pm
I dunno what that is!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:41:36 pm
I dunno what that is!

Page 40 in the N-Field Gear Catalog - Part Number Z91063! This is a TASTEE part on a Bullet ....  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:41:46 pm
Another nice electronic unit:
http://desmotimes.com/product112.htm

I've run ammeters.  It's a nice device but it's a lot of wire and a lot of juice running through it.  I agree, a voltmeter can give you the same info and much more easily.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 05:27:11 pm
Seems strange to me to put such a modern implement on such a classic looking bike!

Are there any analog style voltmeters that would mesh well with the new c5 dash? If there was a really small one, I think I'd go for that. :)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:43:20 pm
I agree but I think both are small enough to tuck somewhere discretely if you want them.

A small analog gauge with a few indicator lights to replace the engine/fuel indicator lights and fit in the same bezel would be ideal.  I always prefer analog gauges.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 04:01:26 am
If they made that, I image it would sell well. I'd buy it.

I don't really like the lights in there, and to be honest, they are not very functional! I couldn't see them with any sort of sun shining.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 04:13:49 am
How about machining a new Handlebar Clamp, a bit bigger than the stock one, and installing a 52mm Voltmeter in the clamp?  I would have to out to the shop to measure the existing clamp, but it seems it might work. Might be enough room for a 52mm voltmeter and a Formotion clock.
Any other Enfields in New England?