Author Topic: G5 vs. G5 Deluxe: Is the chrome good?  (Read 4184 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:56 pm
So I like all the bikes offered for the 2010 model year in the US.  I'm wondering about the G5 vs. the G5 Deluxe.  The difference being chrome on both fenders, the tank, and the brake pedal for the Deluxe.  Aside from the usual concern that you can't do bodywork on dinged chrome, is the chrome a decent quality?  I live in Portland, OR and we see our share of rain though not much salt or other corrosive ice melters.  Does the chrome hold up well over time?  Is it a show only finish meant to be waxed and polished all the time?  If I leave it outside in the rain for a day or two will it grow an orange haze of rust?  I like the Deluxe and it seems a bargain at just $100 more than the G5 but will that shine last through a few seasons of Portland rain?  FYI, I generally ride all that I can.  I don't usually set out in a downpour but I have ridden home in them and I do ride in light rain often.  If the winter is mild I don't even bother putting the bike on blocks since I can usually sneak a short ride in every week or two.

What say you?

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:21:52 pm
I have an old Iron Barrel deluxe, and I think the chrome is pretty good.
I don't get rust on it, but I get rust on lots of other parts.
I think it would be advisable to keep it waxed.
It's probably "average" quality chrome. I don't think it's the best show chrome that could be found, but it seems good enough to me.

The deluxe is a very "jaw dropping" bike when you have it all shined-up and it's in the sun.
Definitely turns alot of heads.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:48 am
Well I guess no one's had one long enough to know how well the chrome will stand up to several seasons of weather. I have the G5 DeLuxe and the chrome seems to be good quality - thick looking if you know what I mean. I've only cleaned the bike once, after 3500 miles, and the chrome gleams impressively with just a wash and no polish at all. That said, it's not been out in the wet, never mind left out in the rain for days, so I really can't say how well it'd hold up. The exhaust is discoloured in places, but a rub with Meguiars metal polish brings most of it back.
Overall it doesn't look like cheapo thin chrome. Only time will tell of course.
It's a gorgeous looking bike when gleaming, and turns a lot of heads. Goes faster too  ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 12:20:25 am
Body work can be done on chromed parts.

There is a fellow on Los Angeles who completely renewed a heavily rusted and mangled bumper for my brother.

It looks like a new old stock piece.

Also local Hot Rodders have good things to say about POR15.
http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC/productinfo/GPCGG/

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:24:39 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:35:16 am
Perhaps I should say, "I can't do bodywork on chrome." ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 02:35:38 am
I tried,,once.

It came out looking like a piece of impressionist sculpture.

Now the fellows in LA who did my brothers bumpers,,,,true artists.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 05:45:55 pm
Ace is dead on here - It isn't Harley "commode chrome" - but it's pretty good stuff. You ARE going to have to touch it from time to time, but it shouldn't turn into a bright red ball of ball of oxide instantly. (Commode chrome - you can scrub it Comet and wizz all over it and still shines ...... )
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:40:15 pm
Yeah, I figure if I get that I'll have to wash and wax it once a month.  Maybe get in and put protective paint over the bottom surfaces.  I do have a garage but the bike spends a few nights outside now and then.  Dew does it's own damage even if there isn't any rain.

A far cry from what I do now.  The main advnatage to the Dark Ducati Monster is that with flat black paint you are told NOT to wax it and it doesn't need to be washed.  At least that's my viewpoint on the washing.  I used to wash it once a year at the end of the season.  Since this winter was mild I didn't stop riding until mid FebruaryI didn't wash it until too weeks ago.  That's got to be something like 16 months from the last one.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:41:18 pm
A monthly waxing should work fine.

My '06 military is ridden daily year round in all weather and has never been garaged.

The chrome is still holding up pretty well with the occasional rust bloom being oiled when they pop up.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:43:45 pm
Jeepers! All this talk about WASHING a bike makes me want to go out in the garage and spray some WD-40 on stuff ...... washing, INDEED! Hahahaha!  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:37:47 pm
A monthly waxing should work fine.

My '06 military is ridden daily year round in all weather and has never been garaged.

The chrome is still holding up pretty well with the occasional rust bloom being oiled when they pop up.

Military?  Chrome?  Is it just the exhaust and bars on that bike?  Is that the same chrome they use on tank and fenders?

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 03:33:46 am
Military?  Chrome?  Is it just the exhaust and bars on that bike?  Is that the same chrome they use on tank and fenders?

Scott

I dunno.

Factory brightworks on my military;
 Head lamp surrounds, gauges and ignition switch surrounds, handlebars and fixing hardware, exhaust system, foot levers and kicker, upper shock absorber covers, locks and fuel cap, various nuts and bolts and screws about the bike like on the mud guard stays, shocks, fork tops, tappet cover, etc..

In a side by side comparison, seems to me the UCE bikes have better chrome than my Iron Barrel.
 It feels smoother to the touch and is noticeable to my eye to be polished to higher lustre. 
 I will pay much closer attention and solicit opinions at the next Washington Bullet Riders get together
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:39:22 am by Ice »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 04:07:01 am
Thanks.  Also, I'm guessing they don't make most of their own parts so they must get them from different suppliers.  If all those pieces aer working out ok I'm guessing the pick good suppliers.

Scott