Author Topic: Iron Barrel wheel/hub on a C5 or other Brand!  (Read 2525 times)

Drifter

• Scooter
on: July 01, 2010, 06:46:13 pm
It seems a 38 tooth rear sprocket is the smallest available for the c5 will a wheel off an iron barrel fit the C5 maybe the hub has more meat to machine off to make it fit?

I have been thinking about switching the entire wheel and sprocket off some other bike to the C5 to get away from the short sided design. Any ideas on what might fit? Im gonna do some measurements to see if i can match up a Kawasaki or Honda wheel that has more sprocket options.

From the looks of the clearence an o-ring chain wont even fit the stock setup.....why?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:54:45 pm
I haven't looked closely, but I wouldn't be surprised if the C5 uses the same hub as the older bikes. Just turned around with the sprocket on the right.
But, it's still the same issue with the sprocket, so you might have your best luck with a rear wheel setup from another bike that will fit.

As for the O-ring chains, they never provided enough clearance for an O-ring chain in any of the Bullets. Sometimes a person might get lucky and have one fit on, but mostly they rubbed and wouldn't fit .
I don't know why they didn't make clearance in the new bikes for the O-ring chains, but I guess they just didn't.

Sometimes we just don't know why they do these things.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:25:45 pm
Hi y'all, I'm in the process of fitting a cb400/4 rear wheel to my C5.

Its one of the few that has sprockets that will go as low as 35 and 34 teeth.  I'm going for 35 teeth it should drop the revs by around 250 at 65mph.

The wheels other advantages in that it has enough cush drive to take the sting out of the thumps and allows about 5mm adjustment on the sprocket to line up with the gear box sprocket.  It also has slightly narrower rim to allows the wheel to run on the centre line by making up some alternative spacers.

Any how it should be a good enough test to see if worth the cost of having a new rim laced on.

The other consideration has been touched on by ace I believe, in that whatever revs its making for the speed the energy reequired from the fuel, ie the heat, will be much the same.  Having done only 1400 miles as yet I shan't be giving it full heat for while yet.

Either way I'll let you know how it goes.  It will be a couple of weeks before I can report as fitting the wheel is relatively straight forward, its sorting the braking that will be the challenge.  Current thoughts are to use a cable arrangement like the BSA 650s.

Cheers, Shappers.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:36:39 pm
Hello shappers and welcome aboard.

Please do keep us informed along the way.

Cheers.

-ice
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:33:52 am
It seems a 38 tooth rear sprocket is the smallest available for the c5 will a wheel off an iron barrel fit the C5 maybe the hub has more meat to machine off to make it fit?

I have been thinking about switching the entire wheel and sprocket off some other bike to the C5 to get away from the short sided design. Any ideas on what might fit? Im gonna do some measurements to see if i can match up a Kawasaki or Honda wheel that has more sprocket options.

From the looks of the clearence an o-ring chain wont even fit the stock setup.....why?
The C5 comes stock with an o ring chain, at least mine did. ???
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 02:19:28 pm
Hi Ice, thanks for the welcome, will do.

To take the thread a little further, the half worn tyre that came with the cb400/4 wheel (its the early 1970s model) is 4.00 x 18 the circumference of this is 230mm and that of the C5 is 210mm the width of both is much the same. 

This in itself raises the gearing and will be tried before putting the smaller sprocket on. Also because the rim is narrower it would appear there will be a little more sidewall flexing.  This may or may not affect the weaving characteristic of the C5.

I have reduced this somewhat by increasing the the front tyre pressure to 26psi, one of the pressures recommended on the iron barrel and the AVLs, with 28psi in the rear. I intend to experiment with these a little more.  As I don't do much highway mileage I'm not too affected by it. 

I bought the C5 to ride slowly with dignity, not to tear arse about. As it happens it does now keep up with my BSA mounted riding partners.

Thats it for now, Shappers

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 12:16:38 pm
The C5 comes stock with an o ring chain, at least mine did. ???
Yeah, my C5 came stock with an O ring chain too.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:26:03 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association