Author Topic: Better tyres for G5?  (Read 2717 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: July 01, 2010, 09:04:59 am
Not sure quite where to post this, but it's a UCE bike so I'll try here first.
I'm thinking I'd like some better tyres on my G5. I've acclimatised to the bike, doing about 1000 miles a month, and I've noticed the stock Avon tyres are a bit too keen to follow the countours of poor road surfaces. They tend to track along even very slight grooves in road surface, and they feel totally unstable, lethal, on patches of gravel - there's a lot of it about on Devon roads.  :(
Can anyone recommend something better. I'm looking for serious road grip for cornering, which wont entirely give up the ghost at the slightest opportunity.
Can I put something a bit wider on? Without altering anything else?
And UK availability of course.
Experience and input gratefully received, thanks.
Will
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:19:22 pm
And any recommendations for tires especially good in the wet?

Scott

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:29:39 am
Avon AM26 Roadriders.  Lots of grip at all angles and good wet grip too.  I think they come stock on the C5 Bullets.  I have them on my '06 Bullet and like them for everything with a paved surface.  Greavel, wet grass, mud etc. gets a little scary though.

Eamon
Eamon

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:36:53 am
Yeah, pretty sure they are stock front and rear on the C5.  The Avon SM front on the G5 looks vintage but I don't know how much grip it provides :(

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 04:00:37 am
  I agree With Eamon. They do come stock on the c5's here in the states.There on my c5. I also put them on the Cafe racer's I build. There a good all around street tire. Not sure about the tire sizes on the G5, but if you go to the Avon web site, you should be able to cross reference.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 04:06:46 am
Check out the NField Gear site. What works for the regular Bullet will work for the G5
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:02:50 am
Yes, Roadriders do fit the G5 as I have them on my Clubman. I didn't answer earlier as I assumed Will had them as standard on his G5 too but maybe not. Like Eamon, I find them fine on any paved surface but they don't like gravel. I followed a sports bike rider on a gravel splattered country road (well, not for long since I couldn't keep up), and it was quite clear he had a hell of a lot more grip than me.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 07:27:30 pm
Thanks for the input guys.  I've just done a bit of online research into the AM26 RoadRiders and they do seem to be reccomended pretty much everywhere for good grip and stability. I think that's what I'm going to be going with.
Thanks again.
Will

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:19:01 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)