Author Topic: Bronze Swing Arm Bushings For C5?  (Read 25928 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 30, 2010, 04:13:27 am
Does anyone know if they are available, if so where can they be sourced?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:35 am
I should think that they would be easy enough to have turned from Oilite bronze stock by any high school machine shop student for the price of a pizza.

I have wondered about using needle roller bearing myself.
IIRC Suzuki's GS (ca. 1978) was the first mass produced street bike to have needle rollers in the swinging arm. Oh what a superb machine.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:15:51 pm
I should think that they would be easy enough to have turned from Oilite bronze stock by any high school machine shop student for the price of a pizza.

I have wondered about using needle roller bearing myself.
IIRC Suzuki's GS (ca. 1978) was the first mass produced street bike to have needle rollers in the swinging arm. Oh what a superb machine.

Oh Yea needle bearings would be nice :P.  But I think bronze bushings would be pushing it. And yes the good old days of shop class. But  I think where showing our age Ice. There no more machine shop classes, wood shop classes , elec shop classes, automotive, auto body,etc. At least  not like it use to be. Try to get a kid now a days to create something with their hands other than a text message. It's just as well,as there would probably be no jobs out their anyway. It's getting hard to find a decent tool/die shop, there all closing up,at least in my area.
  Maybe there's a Machinist out there, that would be willing to make a run of them if there's enough of us showing interest?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:27:32 pm by gashousegorilla »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:55:29 pm
If the OEM rubber bushes are installed anything like they are in the Iron Barrel models, it isn't so much about what new ones to put in, but more about how to get the OEM ones out.
Most people report having  a very hard time removing the OEM bushes in the Iron Barrel models.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:43:52 am
OK, I may have a line on a place that may have them(Mcmaster-carr). Before I Take apart the rear end, and put the bike out of commission,does anyone have the dimensions of the stock Bushings?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:42:27 am
IMHO Mcmaster Carr is a top notch company to deal with.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 02:38:23 pm
Hi Hi, another source may be Hitchcock in the UK.

Cheers Shappers.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 02:48:25 pm
IMHO Mcmaster Carr is a top notch company to deal with.

Top notch, INDEED! They have everything from 310 stainless socket head fasteners to a brand new leather drive belt for my sewing machine ..... you just gotta LOVE that!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:26:43 pm
Can anybody confirm if the bronze bush will need grease for lubrication and if yes, how can that be done? Is it by putting a nipple grease feed on the shaft bolt?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 05:41:26 pm
Can anybody confirm if the bronze bush will need grease for lubrication and if yes, how can that be done? Is it by putting a nipple grease feed on the shaft bolt?

Of COURSE the bush will need lubrication! gun-drilling the shaft bolt - and knurling it for grease distribution would be a good thing - but you COULD add a couple of grease fittings to the pivot lugs on the swing arm as well and keep the bolt solid.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:52:55 pm
Ya, Mcmaster-Carr is awsome. A gear head Nirvana.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:02:02 pm
Of COURSE the bush will need lubrication! gun-drilling the shaft bolt - and knurling it for grease distribution would be a good thing - but you COULD add a couple of grease fittings to the pivot lugs on the swing arm as well and keep the bolt solid.
  Scooterbob has it wright, I'm planing on doing the latter, If I can get some internally groved bushings.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 06:10:27 pm
  Scooterbob has it wright, I'm planing on doing the latter, If I can get some internally groved bushings.

I'm guessing that you'd want to braze weld a couple of lugs on the swingarm to have something to screw your grease fittings into ..... you COULD even get uber clever and plumb them together and make one easy-to-reach fitting ...... Hmmmmmm .......

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 06:12:37 pm

Thanks ScooterBob. Just another thing I need to know, Should I get  spiral shaped groove inside the bush or some holes from inside the bush to keep some amount of lubrication?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 08:05:45 pm
I'm guessing that you'd want to braze weld a couple of lugs on the swingarm to have something to screw your grease fittings into ..... you COULD even get uber clever and plumb them together and make one easy-to-reach fitting ...... Hmmmmmm .......
Stop Scooterbob, your making me drool :P. Not sure yet how I'll configue the lubrication system, I'll see when I get the swing arm out. But I am thinking of something along the lines of a honda  cb, with grooved Bushings, greese fitting on bottom of swing arm, tapped into pivot bolt Chamber, Don't know yet, but will see.
  I also want to gusset/ reinforce the swing arm where the side tubes meet the cross tube. In an arch shape. Like somthing you would see on other bike's, honda cb's, harley sporters, etc. I'm looking to eliminate the side to side flex in the rear end ,as you could probably guess.