Author Topic: 18 tooth counter shaft sprocket  (Read 9099 times)

cochi

• Grease Monkey
on: December 27, 2007, 05:08:18 pm
Hello fellas. I managed to replace the  stock '"clutch release pad" with the upgraded needle bearing type without screwing anything up!  For my next trick I will attempt to change the 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket with the 18 tooth one. I know this procedure is a bit more involved than what I described above. I need to know if the mechanics tool kit (8 tools) sold by Classic Motors will be sufficient to do the job. Thanks Cochi :)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:34:55 pm
Hello fellas. I managed to replace the  stock '"clutch release pad" with the upgraded needle bearing type without screwing anything up!  For my next trick I will attempt to change the 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket with the 18 tooth one. I know this procedure is a bit more involved than what I described above. I need to know if the mechanics tool kit (8 tools) sold by Classic Motors will be sufficient to do the job. Thanks Cochi :)

I don't know much about them lectric start metric machines but you'll need a large deep socket to get the sprocket nut off (on mine it's a 1 1/2 deep socket) and you'll need a socket to get the rotor nut off. Aside from that all you'll need is a motor sprocket puller and a clutch basket puller.
Cj
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:01:44 pm
I want to do this on my 500ES now it has a new free flow header/silencer with new jets in the carb too so look forward to seeing how you get on with this!!!

LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:03:42 pm
You guys might want to check to see how big your sprocket is now. 2 friends of mine have 5 speeds that came with 18's from the factory.
It's a  lot of work to get it apart and find out that your replacing a 18 with a 18.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 09:21:05 pm
Good question,  also how many teeth can you add and still be in the chains adjustment range? Can I go to 19 without adding chain?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:28:27 pm
Mine is a Classic withfour speed rhs change set-up & the 'normal 17 tooth sprocket.
Eighteen will be fine I'm sure but wouldn't want to try a nineteen as a few hills around here that would be too much trouble with that 2 larger tooth set-up Cyrusb.

Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:33:42 pm
O.K,I hear that, I'm looking for at least an 18, because with the 17 first gear is way too low, even with "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" on board. Long Island is basicly flat. So hills are really not a problem.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 09:47:15 pm
Hello fellas. I managed to replace the  stock '"clutch release pad" with the upgraded needle bearing type without screwing anything up!  For my next trick I will attempt to change the 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket with the 18 tooth one. I know this procedure is a bit more involved than what I described above. I need to know if the mechanics tool kit (8 tools) sold by Classic Motors will be sufficient to do the job. Thanks Cochi :)

I don't know much about them lectric start metric machines but you'll need a large deep socket to get the sprocket nut off (on mine it's a 1 1/2 deep socket) and you'll need a socket to get the rotor nut off. Aside from that all you'll need is a motor sprocket puller and a clutch basket puller.
Cj
Cochi- I've done mine without any of the special tools... so long as you don't need a puller to pull the gear off the output shaft. Mine slides right off.
 A large adjustable spanner for the output shaft, the socket for the clutch should be in your enfield tool kit, and the gear sprocket nut can be done with a pair of channel locks or waterpump pliars. As far as pulling the clutch basket, after taking the clutch hub, springs and nut off put the hub BACK on loosely and find a socket that will fit between the hub and shaft. Take care not to damage the shaft and tighten the 3 bolts...
YOU'VE GOT A PULLER. Just remember that when reassembling to tap the hub in to set it. Otherwise the 1st time you pull the clutch you'll get a POP (YOU'VE PULLED THE HUB IN) and you'll have to readjust the clutch cable.
(Ask me how I know...)
* ALSO- don't remove the drive chain till you've broke the the nuts loose. You have it in  gear and step on the brake; then lean over and brake loose....
*a 5mm allen wrench will be needed to get the 3 allen sets loose....
*take both nuts off the primary chain adjuster; the stud comes thru from the back of the primary case...
*don't forget to wrap the splines on the gear shaft with tape to prevent damaging the seal...
- Mike
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:52:41 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 11:03:15 pm
Mine is a Classic withfour speed rhs change set-up & the 'normal 17 tooth sprocket.
Eighteen will be fine I'm sure but wouldn't want to try a nineteen as a few hills around here that would be too much trouble with that 2 larger tooth set-up Cyrusb.

I ran a 20 tooth sprocket on mine for 7 yrs and never found a hill I couldn't make it over.
It's one of the miracles of having more than 1 gear. And 3rd is good up to 60mph so you don't even have to slow down.
Last year I changed it to a 19 for a trip out to REunion thinking I was going to have a heavy load on it and it was in the Ozark Mountains.  I could have left the 20 on for what it's worth.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 03:54:12 am
Thats what I wanted to hear.Any fowling problems with the 20?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 03:55:53 am by cyrusb »

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 04:34:53 am
The next time you guys swap sprockets, it would be helpful  to me if you could take some digital photos of the process and the tools you used and post them somewhere.

Mike, I am going to add your description to the CD you sent to me.  That CD has been helpful on more than one occasion. Thanks.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 10:59:29 am

I ran a 20 tooth sprocket on mine for 7 yrs and never found a hill I couldn't make it over.
It's one of the miracles of having more than 1 gear.

Yeah but I don't want to be in first gear for all these hills ha ha.
OK, I will wait to see how others get on before investing my hard earned on the 'wrong' size sprocket!!! Cheers.

Ducati 916 'L' twin

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 09:50:22 pm
The next time you guys swap sprockets, it would be helpful  to me if you could take some digital photos of the process and the tools you used and post them somewhere.
Mike, I am going to add your description to the CD you sent to me.  That CD has been helpful on more than one occasion. Thanks.

No problem...  the list I gave was NOT complete...   I left out the givens...
* after removing the center plate; clutch plates and discs stacked in order REMOVE  Large snap ring

I thought it was obvious but ya never know. Honest; I used no special tools. Use a socket under the center plate to pull the hub...
http://tinyurl.com/2un
is a link to the pics I took in case I needed a reminder of what was going on and just to document cause I have NO intention of removing the motor on a regular basis...
Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:51:44 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 04:17:23 pm
 :)

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 02:58:17 pm
Happy new year fellas. Sorry I took so long in getting back to all of you. I run a psychiatric unit and the holidays keep me pretty busy! Depression and schizophrenia don't take vacations!  Thanks for all of the great feedback on my  counter shaft project. My better half and I live I Philadelphia and the Bulllet is my commuter.  Needless to say, I run into stop and go traffic so I figured the 18  tooth sprocket would be a bit easier on the clutch than a 19 or 20. I rarely use the "super slab", but do enjoy long rides on country roads. The Bullet is in its element on these back roads. I've owned quite a  few bikes and by far this wonderful anachronism is the best for my type of riding. I will keep you  guys posted on the project. I won't be able to get to it for several weeks. I am also presently waiting for the 7 inch headlight conversion from Classic Motorcycles .  ;D