Author Topic: 19" wheel conversion for C5  (Read 40648 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #90 on: July 23, 2010, 05:04:19 pm
Yech!  Gutters!  Sometimes I really like owning a condo.

Yeah, kinda had the decision made for me.  I figured I should at least test ride the Ninja 250, being just about the only other decent small motorcycle in the States.  I called the dealer and asked if they had one in stock and if I could get a test ride.  "Sure!"

Well I guess we don't agree on the definition of "Sure!".  Basically, they don't give test rides on sport bikes.  Ok, but I'm 40, riding since 12, licensed for 10 years, and coming off a Monster 800.  Serioulsy?  So it turns out they'll only allow a test ride if there's already a deal in place.  Financing secured, papers signed, etc.  I can understand from their point, but seriously?  Then of course he tells me that with my experience I'd really want a 600.  What part of 'small motorcycle' was unclear?

Contrast that with the local RE dealer.  I had been in several times to look at the bikes and have spoken to the manager, mechanic, and sales staff.  We've talked enough that he knows I've been riding a long while, do all my own wrenching and know my way around fuel injection, and that I dig the RE for what it is.  When I showed up there he just handed me two sets of keys and suggested a nice test route.

Now I would venture to guess that not everyone gets treated that way but which dealer would you want to do business with?

I keep hemming and hawing but my wife laughed when I said I was going to test ride the Ninja.  "Why?  You know that's not the bike you want."  Yeah, she knows me.

If all goes well I'll be sorting out the sale of the totalled Ducati today and if I'm lucky I'll get the insurance check today.  I may need a small loan and of course my bank doesn't do moto loans so I'll have to sort that out somewhere else.

Scott

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: July 23, 2010, 05:07:29 pm

Yeah, kinda had the decision made for me.  I figured I should at least test ride the Ninja 250, being just about the only other decent small motorcycle in the States. 

The Suzuki TU 250 is a cool little bike.
At least until one of your buds sees you on it !!!!!!!!!!! LOL
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #92 on: July 23, 2010, 05:45:20 pm
CJ

I'd ride one ..... You know what they say about little bikes - they are chubby chicks - fun to ride but you don't want anyone to see you on one .....  ;) D'OH!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #93 on: July 23, 2010, 06:05:26 pm
At my age, I'd be happy to be seen with either one  ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #94 on: July 23, 2010, 06:12:45 pm
I really like the suzuki except for 2 things: the paint on the tank is hideous and it's only an air cooled 250 single.  Not much power there.

The Suzuki is a modern-ish engine in a classic frame.  The FI on that bike is a nice touch.  The RE is a much better package: better looks, prettier and bigger engine.  And the Suzuki is a bit on the small side and has no side car offering.  But I did look at it some time ago.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: July 23, 2010, 07:22:03 pm
CJ
AHH!!!, screw his buds. You like what you like. Remember were on an Enfield Forum , we like different stuff.
 Stick with that RE Dealer!
 Now shush, I think I hear her comming. She's find more Stuff. It's now raining, not just a quicky thunder storm, but one of those all day type rains. I now have limited places to hide.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #96 on: July 23, 2010, 07:23:51 pm
At my age, I'd be happy to be seen with either one  ;D

Hahahaha! HERD dat!!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: July 23, 2010, 07:32:37 pm
Got me , now I gotta go shopping, book store no less, Geeez....... :(

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #98 on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:43 am
Saw a TU 250 parked today.  Oustide the showroom and away from the bigger bikes it doesn't look so small.  The engine is not very pretty.  The cylinder is angled forward and and the main case in angular and cheap looking.  On the RE the engine cases look much nice and much more vintage, as do most of the styling cues on the bike.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: July 27, 2010, 12:50:21 am
It's a cool smaller bike, looks like it would have potential for a cool little cafe racer ;D Is that motor from one of there dirt bikes? A single I wish they still made is the Honda GB 500 tt. Nice bike Only made them for a couple of years, based on a Dirt bike motor.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: July 27, 2010, 03:52:27 am
The Geeb is a purpose built bike guaranteed to put a normal-sized person in traction after 50 miles.  You don't know from pictures how small it is.  Lovely and good handling, though.  Lord knows I tried to love it...
Run what ya brung

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: July 28, 2010, 01:49:38 am
The UPS man showed up at about 6:30 pm.  Note in the box,Hand picked and counted by scooterbob, So of course ,all in order ;) Wheel is now laced, late dinner had, time to finish up truing the wheel. Pics later,I want to get her done.
 Scooterbob, I decided to use the origanal chrome nipples that were sent to match the rear.Had to use one of the brass ones you sent in the 2ND delivery because there were only 39 chrome ones sent the first time. Of course I noticed it on my 35 spoke, so I wasn't gonna take them all back out. I'll get the 39 brass nipples and original Electra spokes back to you asap.
Back to work, Dan.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #102 on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:59 am
The UPS man showed up at about 6:30 pm.  Note in the box,Hand picked and counted by scooterbob, So of course ,all in order ;) Wheel is now laced, late dinner had, time to finish up truing the wheel. Pics later,I want to get her done.
 Scooterbob, I decided to use the origanal chrome nipples that were sent to match the rear.Had to use one of the brass ones you sent in the 2ND delivery because there were only 39 chrome ones sent the first time. Of course I noticed it on my 35 spoke, so I wasn't gonna take them all back out. I'll get the 39 brass nipples and original Electra spokes back to you asap.
Back to work, Dan.

Thanks! Glad it worked out this time ....... Funny what the RIGHT spokes will do for you, eh? THAT little problem is hopefully corrected after a little tiny bit of nose rubbing in the poop ......  ::) Parts guys are SO uppity .....  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #103 on: July 28, 2010, 04:35:40 am
Bob, what's the etiquette on wheel building?  I've done bikes and we have rules of thumb like never reuse spokes, you only get two builds on any one hub and then you should retire it, use new nipples every time,  lube the nipples with 'spoke prep'.

Most of this is kinda geared toward the fact that you are dealing with small parts that don't take the stress of being used more than once well.  How much of this translates to motorcycles?  What can and can't you reuse?

Scott

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #104 on: July 28, 2010, 05:27:13 am
I was told that a wheel and hub from a G-5 will fit right up? about $350 ?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:29:39 am by holodeck »